Why become a member? ×

Eurovision 2022

Doctor J

9 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Erm no, I mean a metric for ' best bands of all time' 

I'm not getting in to that one. We all know it's subjective but they're legendary bands who have sold enormous amounts of records and influenced lots of those who have followed them. Maybe the beatles, Zeppelin, the stones, Motorhead and Sabbath aren't the most technically gifted musicians who have ever lived, maybe not even in their time but their influence can be heard in so much music that followed them.

• Like 1

To be honest does anyone actually bother about the winners? Last years or was it two years ago there was I think an Italian band who were actually not bad. I haven't heard anything from them since

22 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

This isn’t true. It’s convenient for the media to con us into thinking Europe hates us, but it’s not true. More bings us together than keeps us apart!

The Eurovision result clearly demonstrated the sympathy that many Europeans feel for a fellow nation oppressed by a malicious, dictatorial regime.

Ukraine also benefited from the same phenomenon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

20 minutes ago, ubit said:

To be honest does anyone actually bother about the winners? Last years or was it two years ago there was I think an Italian band who were actually not bad. I haven't heard anything from them since

That did cross my mind but, it looks like a few people do bother about the Eurovision 2021 winning Italian band 'Måneskin'. They have a rescheduled, headline tour, kicking off later in the year (48 dates)...starting off stateside.

https://www.livenationentertainment.com/2022/03/maneskin-announce-first-north-american-concert-tour/#:~:text=Commencing on 31st October 2022 in Seattle%2C the,rescheduled European tour in 2023%2C plus new dates.

10 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Just got back with my mate Jim  from Turin as we both depped for Subwolfer. Good job I like Bananas...( this only works if you know my first name)!

Have no idea what you're talking about, but am taking this unrelated opportunity to let you known that I really like your teeth. Not sure I told you.

40 minutes ago, ubit said:

That is down to you not checking, they have actually done really well, have a new album, single and tour out.

Personally I am looking forward to next years Eurovision final in Kyiv :)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Have no idea what you're talking about, but am taking this unrelated opportunity to let you known that I really like your teeth. Not sure I told you.

Thanks, but you did tell me when you said "I really like your teeth".  But it's nice to get repeated compliments. Thanks.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

This year?

Spot on. They should cut it short, have each nation stand there in a costume of their choosing and vote on that; just as irrelevant. Given the amount derision it receives, in this country at least, even from the presenters, I’m surprised it’s survived on our TV screens as long as it has. Maybe it’s cheap to buy and fills up the schedule once a year. Perhaps it’s  a Marmite thing and I’m missing the point? No one died and it’s harmless I guess, providing no one takes it even slightly seriously. Hmm, I seem to have argued myself into a bit of a Volta-face. How red is my face? :facepalm::lol:

I enjoyed Eurovision this year. 

We had my best mate over with his wife; watched the FA Cup (even Chelsea losing didn't dampen things), ordered an Indian in, ate that and watched the last three songs and the voting.  We had three cases of Brewdog Hazy Jane and made a decent dent in these.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

That is down to you not checking, they have actually done really well, have a new album, single and tour out.

Personally I am looking forward to next years Eurovision final in Kyiv :)

Kyiv has been in my to do list for a few years now, both for a city break and the launch point for the Chernobyl excursion. I'm actually closer to the Ukrainian border than London is to the Scottish border. 

Wouldn't it be wonderful if things were settled enough for them to actually host it next year? Sadly I can't see it happening. ☹️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

This year?

Well, more biased than previous years I guess. 
When most people can predict the score well before any songs are played it seems to make it even more of a farce than previous years…….

…….not that I ever watch it when it’s on. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Well, more biased than previous years I guess. 
When most people can predict the score well before any songs are played it seems to make it even more of a farce than previous years…….

…….not that I ever watch it when it’s on. 

Well I guess it was easy to predict Ukraine winning it, but the UK second?  Nah.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Spot on. They should cut it short, have each nation stand there in a costume of their choosing and vote on that; just as irrelevant. Given the amount derision it receives, in this country at least, even from the presenters, I’m surprised it’s survived on our TV screens as long as it has. Maybe it’s cheap to buy and fills up the schedule once a year. Perhaps it’s  a Marmite thing and I’m missing the point? No one died and it’s harmless I guess, providing no one takes it even slightly seriously. Hmm, I seem to have argued myself into a bit of a Volta-face. How red is my face? :facepalm::lol:

Millions of UK viewers, that’s why it’s still on.

pretty much all of my UK facebook friends were either at ‘eurovision parties’ at theirs/friends houses or were watching it and live-posting their opinions.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Millions of UK viewers, that’s why it’s still on.

pretty much all of my UK facebook friends were either at ‘eurovision parties’ at theirs/friends houses or were watching it and live-posting their opinions.

Definitely a Marmite thing it would seem. I’m surprised commercial TV hasn’t tried to nab it (probably the format doesn’t lend itself to ad breaks).

12 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Definitely a Marmite thing it would seem. I’m surprised commercial TV hasn’t tried to nab it (probably the format doesn’t lend itself to ad breaks).

The BBC is a member of the European Broadcasting Union, so it has to be them.

• Thanks 1