Why become a member? ×

Eurovision 2022

Doctor J

Oh, and the likelihood is the U.K. will host it next year unless the war is over. 

Apparently the U.K. is seen as leading the support for Ukraine globally and certainly in Europe.  and we’re hugely popular there for what we’re doing.

I have no wish to make this political, but  it appears we’re recalibrating our relationship with Europe post-Brexit and it’s perhaps not as bad as many of us had thought.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I think this punctures the view that the U.K. is hated around Europe and we’ll never win because “it’s all political”.

The guy from us seemed to love the whole spectacle and while he put in a top effort didn’t take himself too seriously. Any other year he would have won. Was a great show and I thought the Ukrainian entry was one of the weakest out there.

Completely agree. There’s a good article on the Beeb about how the attitude to EV was very different to previous years - Eurovision 2022: How Sam Ryder turned things around for the UK https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61450874

The voting was interesting… apart from some minor “voting for your best chum next door neighbour country” stuff (that’s always been a feature of the competition) PANEL  voting seemed to pretty consistent and coherent. UK, Spain and Sweden were all consistently scoring 8+ across the board, picking up regular 12s and by the end of the National panel votes (where panel members sign contractually to say they will consider song merit rather than politics) the UK was healthily in the lead over the others. Ukraine was pulling in 2s, 3, and 4s on the whole and sitting about 2/3rds up the right hand side of the board. It was purely the public phone vote that decided it with Ukraine getting 2-3 times the score which any other country got (over 400 points vs 100-200 for any other leading song - and many tail enders scoring 10 or less - Germany was on 0 and got about 6 on the phone vote). But this year we all knew that was what would happen, so no big surprise there.

Does beg the question of whether the panel vote is in any way relevant these days or of either the (lucrative, no doubt) phone vote should be scrapped or, more likely, ditch the National panels?

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 1

No doubt Putin will be pulling out the troops immediately now that the Eurovision vote has gone against him. They shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks.

To a man of Putin's sensibilities, Eurovision ( and any other symbol of pan-European cultural integration, however trivial) just confirms his conviction that, by any means necessary, Russia must protect its borders and sphere of influence. 

9 hours ago, Velarian said:

None at all.

It’s just another way for the world to collectively stick two fingers up to Putin. 

Errm the' West' part of the world to be precise. Plenty of others that have either come out in support of Putin or who are sitting on the fence (for fear of upsetting Putin and the US)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barking Spiders said:

I take it we're talking about the 'Greensleeves' to Henry Purcell era?

Well in more (relatively) recent times there has been The Beatles, The Who, Rolling Stones, The Damned, The Stranglers, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Gary Numan Radiohead, The Prodigy, Idles and Muse. Some of the best bands of all time and all British. 

13 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Well in more (relatively) recent times there has been The Beatles, The Who, Rolling Stones, The Damned, The Stranglers, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Gary Numan Radiohead, The Prodigy, Idles and Muse. Some of the best bands of all time and all British. 

You forgot The Wombles and Black Lace!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Errm the' West' part of the world to be precise. Plenty of others that have either come out in support of Putin or who are sitting on the fence (for fear of upsetting Putin and the US)

Well, specifically wider Europe then (or whatever EV’s definition of Europe is these days).

16 minutes ago, Velarian said:

Did you forget The Clash though?

Yes I did.

8 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

... and Fairport Convention..?

I didn't forget them, I thought they were American but I personally wouldn't consider them one of the greats (my opinion only, opinions of others may differ)

I have never really understood the Eurovision. I mean 90 percent of the so called bands are just jokes really. I didn't see the point of this year's as everyone knew the Ukraine would win. It was a bit like having an Ethiopian entry circa 1984. No one else would have had a chance even if it was one guy dressed as a banana playing a synthesizer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SteveXFR said:

By what metric?

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

20 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

By what metric?

Birth Certificates I suppose 😉 

34 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I didn't forget them, I thought they were American but I personally wouldn't consider them one of the greats (my opinion only, opinions of others may differ)

To be fair (no pun intended) Fairport's music does actually sound British.

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I don't understand how Britain came second. Politically, they all hate Britain and musically, the song was the most average. 

This isn’t true. It’s convenient for the media to con us into thinking Europe hates us, but it’s not true. More bings us together than keeps us apart!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

To be fair (no pun intended) Fairport's music does actually sound British.

Although there's a few Dylan and Joni covers in the early years. ;) Quintessentially British, though. B|

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Although there's a few Dylan and Joni covers in the early years. ;) Quintessentially British, though. B|

Yup, about half my fave tunes of theirs are actually 200 year old traditional English folk ballads. The other half are about the last 700 years of British History/culture…