Why become a member? ×

Eurovision 2022

Doctor J

On 11/05/2022 at 14:37, Cato said:

The UK entry has been getting a fair bit of rotation on Radio 1, so unusually for me, I've actually heard it this year and, even more unusually it's rather grown on me.

(The video takes about 20 secs before the music starts)

I reckon it's well above the admittedly low bar for UK entries, probably becausebit's not trying to do the europop thing, it's just a fairly typically British pop song.

I'll be astonished if anyone but Ukraine wins this year, but it'll be interesting to see how the UK gets on. I haven't heard all the other entries but surely at a minimum this song deserves to be top half of the final table.

I think whoever wrote it had been listening to "A spaceman came travelling" quite recently. Not too offensive at all.

I did see one song from one of the semifinals (so I'm working on dcurrent information) - Armenia, and whoever wrote that song had been listening to Mary Hopkin recently. Standard Eurothump rhythm.

• Like 1

On 11/05/2022 at 23:44, skankdelvar said:

A Modest Proposal

* Put an end to Eurocentric exceptionalism and open up the song contest to all the nations of the world

Careful, you might then also have to ask the Americans to stop calling their sports finals the "World Series".

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Hechtor said:

Careful, you might then also have to ask the Americans to stop calling their sports finals the "World Series".

.....and their tours "World Tour".... despite not leaving North America....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maude said:

Those weapons we've been sending to Ukraine have made us popular. 

If America were participating they'd win for sure. 

I was about to say the same thing! After years of coming last, I was so surprised. But given the current politics of the world, one could assume this to be the case 🤔

War, huh, yeah, What is it good for?, Absolutely noth…[vinyl scratch]… coming second in the Eurovision! I do not mean to make light of war of course. All the best to Ukraine 👍.

50 minutes ago, ubit said:

Call me cynical but was there ever any doubt that Ukraine would win? I haven't heard any of the songs by the way.

None at all.

It’s just another way for the world to collectively stick two fingers up to Putin. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ubit said:

Call me cynical but was there ever any doubt that Ukraine would win? I haven't heard any of the songs by the way.

They could have submitted a recording of a dog farting and they still would have won. Just goes to prove once again that Eurovision is an absolute joke which has nothing to do with talent, and everything to do with politics. 

A hollow victory at best, and a shame for any musicians that enter and think they have any kind of chance of winning. 

• Like 1

I walked into the room after the last act had finished and the filler section started (when did the great unwashed get voting rights BTW? 15p per vote, kerching!). Man alive, what an awful crock of 💩! I wonder if the rest of Italian TV is like that all the time?

3 hours ago, Velarian said:

None at all.

It’s just another way for the world to collectively stick two fingers up to Putin. 

Don't get me wrong, I love that everyone is getting behind them, I was just meaning that the voting is so politically biased.

• Like 2

I think last night is the first time we've sat through the whole thing from start to finish. We downloaded/printed the official scorecard this time and each selected the 11 countries we thought were the best.

I only managed to get 3 of the top scoring countries in my 11. The best score was my son's girlfriend who managed 6 out of 11.

Something that I found annoying was Graham Norton (who I don’t mind as a presenter of other shows) reading out people’s messages when they were recapping the performances with the voting numbers. I don’t give an aerial copulation about Millie & Jake watching in Cleethorpes wanting to say, “Hi, go, Sam!” (other names and locations are available). 

All that said, I quite liked last year’s winners’ sub-RHCP offering quite pleasing (why do they bother having amps switched on for an obviously mimed performance?) and nice to see a Dano Longhorn getting some airtime. Although, why cover up the logos on the amps, but not the guitar & bass?

59 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I walked into the room after the last act had finished and the filler section started (when did the great unwashed get voting rights BTW? 15p per vote, kerching!). Man alive, what an awful crock of 💩! I wonder if the rest of Italian TV is like that all the time?

No, it's much better, I seem to recall there used to be a topless weather presenter at one time....

1 minute ago, yorks5stringer said:

No, it's much better, I seem to recall there used to be a topless weather presenter at one time....

Didn’t we also have a version of that here? Pretty sure darts were involved too, but maybe that’s the result of cheese driven slumber.

On 11/05/2022 at 12:58, Doctor J said:

At least you're working off current and informed information, regardless of whether you enjoyed it or not 😉

Yes, I've not actively watched it since the mid-70s for the simple reason that it is not my preferred musical style - I have no interest in it. I also said that we're all different and if it floats your boat, then fine. I do know quite a few people who are having watch parties: they obviously enjoy it.

I do think it needs a re-think as the cost of hosting it has become such that only affluent countries can afford to host it.     

I think this punctures the view that the U.K. is hated around Europe and we’ll never win because “it’s all political”.

The guy from us seemed to love the whole spectacle and while he put in a top effort didn’t take himself too seriously. Any other year he would have won. Was a great show and I thought the Ukrainian entry was one of the weakest out there.

• Thanks 1