Why become a member? ×

Eurovision 2022

Doctor J

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Cuz the mail hasn't yet realised we are still in the European Broadcasting Union!

That's it, I'm phoning my local MP, just as soon as he's out of the mental hospital (stress of getting caught with cocaine and dodgy loans apparently)

The UK entry has been getting a fair bit of rotation on Radio 1, so unusually for me, I've actually heard it this year and, even more unusually it's rather grown on me.

(The video takes about 20 secs before the music starts)

I reckon it's well above the admittedly low bar for UK entries, probably becausebit's not trying to do the europop thing, it's just a fairly typically British pop song.

I'll be astonished if anyone but Ukraine wins this year, but it'll be interesting to see how the UK gets on. I haven't heard all the other entries but surely at a minimum this song deserves to be top half of the final table.

Edited by Cato

7 hours ago, Cato said:

The UK entry has been getting a fair bit of rotation on Radio 1, so unusually for me, I've actually heard it this year and, even more unusually it's rather grown on me.

I reckon it's well above the admittedly low bar for UK entries, probably becausebit's not trying to do the europop thing, it's just a fairly typically British pop song.

I'll be astonished if anyone but Ukraine wins this year, but it'll be interesting to see how the UK gets on. I haven't heard all the other entries but surely at a minimum this song deserves to be top half of the final table.

That is thoroughly forgetable. Nothing interesting about it at all. Raising the bar for blandness

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Doctor J said:

This has devolved into one of those vegan threads where the meat fetishists feel the need to pile in so they can tell you how much they dislike veganism and can't live without bacon sandwiches

Personally I can't get enough of this groundbreaking trend of tired old men explaining what it is they don't like

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

A Modest Proposal

* Put an end to Eurocentric exceptionalism and open up the song contest to all the nations of the world
* Re-name it the World Song Contest, logo tbc, possibly a dove playing the pan pipes
* Each nation to be allocated to one of world ten regions, e.g., East Asia, Central Africa, Europe.

* Regional winner goes forward to World Finals
* Song duration to be no more than 60 seconds

* Contestants to perform at permanently established World Song Contest venue: lavishly-appointed beer-crate stage in Kettering Sainsburys car park

* Costumes - 'smart casual'
* Total show duration 45 minutes, no commentary

SA_BRA_7_K_6_3_73hr.jpg
The Arena of Dreams

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I like Sam. He's got a great voice and if you've seen any of his interviews he comes across as genuinely excited and grateful for the opportunity to play at Eurovision.

Then again, I was also a fan of this little-known metal band that he played with several years ago:

Edited by Chaosanator

8 hours ago, Cato said:

I’m really hoping that the UK makes a decent fist of the contest this year. It’s the first time in years when we’ve actually had a decent song. Though I must confess some bias as I know one of the co-writers of the song and she’s 1) a properly good songwriter (with some well deserved Grammys under her belt over the last few years!), 2) a properly good singer/performer and 3) a properly lovely person too. 

Sam Ryder is a talented singer too so it adds up to a good combination for a change! Good to have a combination which Should be in with a fighting chance this year. Notwithstanding the fact that, of course, Ukraine could enter a Duracell monkey banging some tiny cymbals together for three minutes and they’d probably still walk the voting process!

• Like 2

I have been watching religiously since 2006, the yea wer Lordi won. I love it, not in an ironic way, it's just a lot of fun. For those of you who are sceptical I recommend drinking heavily. It's how I got into it in the first place accidentally 🤣. In all seriousness there have been some cool songs over the years, along with some garbage. The UK songs, in my opinion are rarely interesting and for the most part haven't deserved to win. Don't think they deserve nil points but hey ho. 

However the greatest tragedy was that the 2020 lineup was phenomenal and never got to perform. I think they were all busy or something?

Not heard this year's um entry....or any other actually other than the Latvian entry so looking forward to see what's on offer!

Edited by Bassmidget209

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

That is thoroughly forgetable. Nothing interesting about it at all. Raising the bar for blandness

Yes, but as we've established in the past, you don't actually like anything. :D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rich said:

Yes, but as we've established in the past, you don't actually like anything. :D

I like lots of things but this is just sonic beige. It sounds like every other new song on radio 2.

Britain used to make the best music in the world and there's British bands turning out some really amazing new music now so why does it have to be so unoriginal?

17 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Why are we still in Eurovision? Brexit means brexit. 

From what I understand all those wind turbines in the north sea are actually propellers; all it takes is for the anchors to be weighed and we can set off into the ocean!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

why does it have to be so unoriginal?

Unoriginal seems to sell very well. It would appear that the great unwashed shambling herd like what they're familiar with. 

19 hours ago, Cato said:

I didn't mind it at first, but I've heard it so much recently that I'm thoroughly sick of it.

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

From what I understand all those wind turbines in the north sea are actually propellers; all it takes is for the anchors to be weighed and we can set off into the ocean!

This year we leave the EU, next year the European continent and by 2030 we'll be leaving the solar system for true independence 

• Haha 1

I won't be watching it as I will be out watching mates play a pub gig. Feel a bit sorry for any of the artists not representing Ukraine as they can kiss goodbye to any notion of winning the thing. However since for years there apparently hasn't been much correlation between quality of songs and who wins as a result of political voting then it's pretty much as you were, except the slanted voting will be more obvious from the off.

1 hour ago, KevB said:

I won't be watching it as I will be out watching mates play a pub gig. Feel a bit sorry for any of the artists not representing Ukraine as they can kiss goodbye to any notion of winning the thing. However since for years there apparently hasn't been much correlation between quality of songs and who wins as a result of political voting then it's pretty much as you were, except the slanted voting will be more obvious from the off.

I also feel a bit sorry for the Ukraine representative(s), assuming they do win they’ll always have it in the back of their mind that they only won through sympathy, and not through talent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

I also feel a bit sorry for the Ukraine representative(s), assuming they do win they’ll always have it in the back of their mind that they only won through sympathy, and not through talent.

If Ukraine do win, it is going to make next years Eurovision a bit more interesting!

23 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

To be held in Moscow, the capital. -_-

... but ... but ... wasn't Kyiv the capital

in Kievan Rus' some 1,000 years ago?
... or am I showing my age here?
😉

Edited by BassTractor