Why become a member? ×

Eurovision 2022

Doctor J

2 minutes ago, Misdee said:

If only life were that simple. Israel and Australia are eligible. Presumably Europe is a state of mind rather than a geographical location or political affiliation.

I think they widened the list of eligible countries as whenever a small eastern European country like Moldova won, they were unable to afford hosting the event.

10 minutes ago, Hechtor said:

I think they widened the list of eligible countries as whenever a small eastern European country like Moldova won, they were unable to afford hosting the event.

To be fair, poverty may be the real reason why Britain is not too keen to get back to winning ways.😄

I know that Israel is included because for  decades it has been part of an organisation called the European Television Union and is therefore eligible. Presumably Australia is now a participant because a large proportion of the population is British/European/gay (or combination thereof).

Edited by Misdee

11 minutes ago, Misdee said:

To be fair, poverty may be the real reason why Britain is not too keen to get back to winning ways.😄

I know that Israel is included because for  decades it has been part of an organisation called the European Television Union and is therefore eligible. Presumably Australia is now a participant because a large proportion of the population is British/European/gay (or combination thereof).

What has being gay got to do with it?

• Haha 1

Ugh. This has devolved into one of those vegan threads where the meat fetishists feel the need to pile in so they can tell you how much they dislike veganism and can't live without bacon sandwiches. Great, lads, you don't like Eurovision. All of the European mainland express their dislike of jellied eels and milky tea by not voting for Britain. We get it. You told us last year and the year before that and the year before that... 😉

Meanwhile, for a light-entertainment show based on three minutes of pop fluff, there were some decent songs last night with not much Europop.

I think posting a link to the Latvian song about eating organic vegetables might be a crossing the streams moment and break the forum 😂 but it was a funky effort, didn't make the final, though

Ukraine are strong favourites to win

The guy who should have represented Italy in 2020 got to perform to the large crowd too, which was a nice touch and a good song too. If you've seen him sing this song, which has a line about unnatural silences repeated in the chorus, in the empty Verona arena while Italy was really suffering with covid, this was quite powerful.

We'll see what tomorrow's second semi-final will bring. I know there are a couple of stinkers on the way for sure 😂

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Rich said:

'Eurovision' has pretty much nothing to do with the European continent these days.

Eurovision never had anything to do with the European continent, it is everything to do with the european broadcasting union, who right from the word go included north africa and parts of Asia (in fact included morocco and tunisia before it included germany).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Ugh. This has devolved into one of those vegan threads where the meat fetishists feel the need to pile in so they can tell you how much they dislike veganism and can't live without bacon sandwiches. Great, lads, you don't like Eurovision. All of the European mainland express their dislike of jellied eels and milky tea by not voting for Britain. We get it. You told us last year and the year before that and the year before that... 😉

Usually it is the other way around....

• Haha 1

I think there is probably a bit of fear of winning it (not by the artists obviously) just because it has got so grand and presumably expensive these days, its moved on from a hall in morcome with a cardboard scoreboard to something that I think is probably watched more by lighting and set designers than anyone else!

I enjoy Eurovision, but I preferred it when it was Europop rather than Finnish death metal bands. Like most things nowadays, it's not what it used to be.

The charm of Eurovision was that it had unselfconsciously morphed into a unique musical and cultural entity that was a world unto itself. Nowadays it has become too self-regarding. Still worth watching, though, if only to make me feel thankful that I was born British.

Once again, as if further proof were needed, we can see what completely different worlds we live in. During a pause in a programme I was watching, with Our Eldest, we 'zapped' onto this Eurovision thing. We didn't stay long; just enough to hear/watch a couple of acts, and got back to our evening viewing with some alactrity. Some people like that stuff..? Some even think it's 'good' (or more...)..? There's no accounting for tastes. It's a rum ol' world, right enough. The old Morecambe and Wise line came to mind...

(The topic title is 'Eurovision 2022'; there is no stipulation that only 'positive' comments are allowed. Just sayin' -_-...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

Eurovision is an celebrated event in gay subculture. I don't think there is anything controversial in that statement.🙂

Yup. Each year a couple of my mates throw a party when Eurovision is on. Don't know how that came to be a thing though... 

16 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

(The topic title is 'Eurovision 2022'; there is no stipulation that only 'positive' comments are allowed. Just sayin' -_-...)

One might think it might invite comments which refer to what's happening in Eurovision 2022 then, positive and negative, rather than how they don't like it and haven't watched it since 1974, no? 😂

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I think there is probably a bit of fear of winning it (not by the artists obviously) just because it has got so grand and presumably expensive these days

Sounding an awful lot like a certain Father Ted episode... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, JellyKnees said:

It's a load of camp nonsense and I don't imagine anyone actually takes it seriously.... do they?

Judging by some of the comments here, yes very much so :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

One might think it might invite comments which refer to what's happening in Eurovision 2022 then, positive and negative, rather than how they don't like it and haven't watched it since 1974, no? 😂

No. :|

(... and I did watch some of this 2022 stuff, and thought it to be 'rubbish'.. I could elaborate on that brief comment (Bananas, anyone..? Whatever...), but it's too painful to go over in any detail. Not to mention the kilo (mega..?) watts of lecky wasted on a fabulous display of 'lighting' overkill and ridiculous 'choreography'. Tawdry dross, I say...)

Edited by Dad3353

I think in these dark and difficult times it’s always good to have a bit of occasional light relief. If it’s not your thing, change the channel. 
I’ll be gigging but usually watch it with the wife an hour or so behind and zip through the truly awful acts. 

Edited by pbasspecial
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

I enjoy Eurovision, but I preferred it when it was Europop rather than Finnish death metal bands. Like most things nowadays, it's not what it used to be.

I love it when it has token Scandi metal bands on..... better than hearing that horrible 'Euro-synth' sound on everything..... urghh....

It's camp nonsense but worth a watch to see who is the most ridiculous and which lady can wear the smallest/most revealing outfit.... sometimes cheap thrills are the best something like this has to offer.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rich said:

Well I'll tell you what I think. It's absolutely (cont'd p.94)

When we've got this thread up to 94 pages you have to post the rest of your reply.

I like Eurovision. It's fun bit of nonsense that occasionally throws up some interesting music.

• Haha 1