Why become a member? ×

Advice on Amp please

jackreacher193

Hi All, so I'm after an amp - I'm on a budget. This will mainly be for small/medium venue gigs and rehearsals.

I've seen these 2 amps used for £100.

1. Ashdown Mag300 with custom grille - I think this is the 2 x 10'' one. 300w

2. Peavey 115 - 1 x 15.. again 300w amp.

Obviously these are both well used but just wondering what your thoughts were? and any experience with these?

275695306_5018762194917185_3941635241126560853_n.png.ef19a58aa19b5b452e88f386655245ca.png274301814_5139734196045648_4712679289730090478_n.png.efc8bb5511420b41a367234f40760e84.png

I had a Peavy TNT about 25 years ago. Very solid and loud amps. That one looks in good condition.

The Ashdown looks a bit 'homemade'.

I'd suggest you give them both a test at a loud volume before parting with any money.

I think either of these will be ideal for the use you intend and will sound good into the bargain, but not the same. The best thing you could do would be to look at both and make a decision by trying them out, you'll also get an idea of the weight. 

Both are essentially reliable amps, the Peaveys of that era had a great reputation for being built like a tank. Ashdown have a reputation for after sales second to none and still support their old amps. My first two amps were a peavey 2x15 of that era and a MAG 600 both good but different. However these are both old amps and components can deteriorate unpredictably, there are dozens of these out there still working though so you will probably be lucky and at that price if they work for a year that is only 30p a day. If they do break then everything is replaceable/repairable unlike more modern equipment.

Like the others i don't like the customisation on the Ashdown and wonder if any other mods have been done but these prices for that sort of giggable amp you can't really go wrong. Just try before you decide.

Try both and see which sounds best, also compare the weight as heavy old combos can be an awkward schlep.

Worth checking the Ashdown has the original drivers in as well going by the state of it and also worth seeing if either is making farting/rasping sounds. 

I'd go for the Peavey. Years ago I played through one very similar (though it had obviously had an infinitely harder paper round) at a rehearsal room and it actually became a little bit on-fire while I was using it, but it didn't stop working! At the time I thought the guitarist was really digging my playing, but it turned out I just hadn't seen his "is that smoke?!" dance before.

• Haha 2

That old Peavey stuff is amazing. I gigged for years with a MkVI head and 4x10 cab and the hammering that thing took was incredible. Never had a single issue with it, even when it frequently got soaked in beer. 

On 10/05/2022 at 17:23, chyc said:

I don't own that exact Peavey, but I own one of similar vintage, the TNT115 combo. It sounds great but it weighs a ton so moving it is a real chore. Can't speak for the Ashdown.

Had the same Ashdown a few years back and they are heavy as well. Good amp though but it looks like it`s had a hard life so Peavey and a sack barrow.

9 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

I advise adopting a 'Beverage Free Zone' policy of zero tolerance to drummer et al beverages being set down on your amplification. It will hold you in good stead. A beer will never be spilt on an amp if it's never left on an amp.

Definitely. Whenever I let other bassists use my gear that’s one of the first things I tell them, no drinks on my amp.

I've managed to find a combo amp which seems to tick the boxes.

Its 300w the combo has 2 x 10" speakers and a tweeter.

Now apparently the combo is 250w with these onboard speakers but goes to 300w with external speaker attached.

My question....would you notice a (big) difference adding the exension cab?

Secondly...can anyone give me an example of an extension can I could use?

Cab needs to be 8ohms with speakon connection.

Thanks all.

• Like 1

No replacement for displacement, so even though you are (according to the manufacturer) only getting 50w more, you'll notice quite a difference.  As to which speaker; if the combo doesn't have a matching extension I'd opted for the same manufacturer and same diameter speaker as is fitted (2x10).  The science is that you don't need a 15" to get bottom end and 10's for the highs (even if you could bi-amp), you are better off with all drivers the same size... caveat being that sometimes mixing them can work but it is less predictable.  

Ideally, you want a cab that matches the sensitivity, etc. of the one that you have. That way one won’t be louder than the other. If you don’t add a second cab, it helps to elevate the combo closer to ear level. Try the height of an extension cab. This allows you to monitor and sound better.