Why become a member? ×

Serendipity: Thomastik Jazz Roundwounds.

In a bit of a rush I ordered some new strings. Saw the usual packet, ordered etc.

Delivery wasn't what I expected though - instead of Ti Flats, I had ordered Ti Rounds. I knew Thomastik made rounds but I didn't know they made "Jazz Rounds" in the same series.

My curiosity was stronger than my desire to send them back so I stuck them on my Sandberg. They are very flexible like the flats are. The wrap wire is a very small gauge so finger noise is very low for a round.

They also don't feel like other brands of nickels I have tried - I usually don't like nickels at all and stick with steels for rounds. These feel different. I have no idea if it's just because of the smaller wrap wire or if it's a different alloy mix, but I like them.

Thomastik claim they are supposed to be the same as the flats but with a bit more cut / top end. I think that's true at the treble end, but the low end is still closer to a round than a flat. Nevertheless they have a very nice balanced tone and are easy to play.

As usual, there's only 1 gauge option so that will either suit or not, but I like them and they'll be staying on the bass - and not just because they are as expensive as the flats!

Will be interesting to see how long they last compared to the flats.

I have a rehearsal on Saturday so I'll see how it goes.

• Like 5

I believe they last for months if not years, based on what I have read. They are even lower tension than the flats at about 122 pounds per set vs 135 pounds, from memory. I have a set but my only issue is they need space to vibrate, being looser, and so the action has to be cranked up a bit (and the truss rod loosened). SO there is a bit of a trade-off between ultra low tension and higher action in my view

2 hours ago, Clarky said:

I believe they last for months if not years, based on what I have read. They are even lower tension than the flats at about 122 pounds per set vs 135 pounds, from memory. I have a set but my only issue is they need space to vibrate, being looser, and so the action has to be cranked up a bit (and the truss rod loosened). SO there is a bit of a trade-off between ultra low tension and higher action in my view

I could see that - but I often use D'addario Steel 35-95 anyway so my setup seems to be ok.

I will take some allen keys on Saturday though, just in case I play a bit harder and get some rattles.

I love them!  I bought a load a while back when they were on offer but all gone now.  :(  

The pair I've just taken off my main bass have been on for 7 years (40-50 gigs every year) and though they had lost a little top end they were still 'perfectly' useable.  I gave @LukeFRC the heads up to them and I think he's taken a shine to them.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I love them!  I bought a load a while back when they were on offer but all gone now.  :(  

The pair I've just taken off my main bass have been on for 7 years (40-50 gigs every year) and though they had lost a little top end they were still 'perfectly' useable.  I gave @LukeFRC the heads up to them and I think he's taken a shine to them.  

I bought the Infeld super alloys, not the jazz rounds! :o 

Rehearsal complete.

I like them a lot. Despite the marketing spiel they do sound like rounds, but they do have a nice tone and they are easy to play. Treble can be grindy if the amp is a bit dirty and the treble control is up, but they have a nice mellow tone too.

Finger noise is impressively low for a round.

2 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Finger noise is impressively low for a round.

Thats what I found, quieter even than DR nickel rounds like Sunbeams and Pure Blues. I suspect that is the basis of the flat's comparison in marketing spiel but they do sound like mellow rounds to me

• Like 1

How do you find them now after you’ve been playing them for a while? I’m tempted to try some whilst stocks of Elixir super lights pick up again. 

I always tune down to D and normally find that the 0.95 E string handles that really nicely (I play with a super light touch). I wonder if these would be ok? 

Do you have any pics of the strings up close compared to a ‘normal’ round? 

@ped

I tried drop D. It's right on the limit of floppiness. I play as lightly as possible and I use a ramp and I think I could get away with it. 

If you play harder or with a pick, I'm not convinced.

But the super long scale E is a 101 rather than the 89 so it may work quite well with buying that string separately.

• Thanks 1