Why become a member? ×

Finger style Tone

Guest BassAdder27

I’ve come to the conclusion finger style tone is very hard to beat even for rock 

Until they create a pick that can reproduce that fullness of note I’m sticking to my digits for now !

Edited by BassAdder27
  • Like 2

• Guest changed the title to Finger style Tone
  • 8 months later...
On 09/05/2022 at 19:05, BassAdder60 said:

I’ve come to the conclusion finger style tone is very hard to beat even for rock 

Until they create a pick that can reproduce that fullness of note I’m sticking to my digits for now !

I know what you mean, but then on the other hand it's equally impossible with your fingers to recreate that specific unique aggressive snappy emphasis on the attack that you can only get from using a pick.

Which conclusively actually makes it entirely up to personal preferences, application and context, which technique to use.

Also there is more than just one finger style method, there's the traditional classic 2 or 3 finger plucking technique, but there is also the acoustic classical guitar finger picking style technique, or flamenco style index and/or middle finger flicking, double thumbing, thumb + index finger edge of finger/nail faux pick technique, and then of course slapping as well.

All with their own unique tone and useability, advantages and disadvantages.

Ideally you would want to learn how to do them all, including using a pick.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I know what you mean, but then on the other hand it's equally impossible with your fingers to recreate that specific unique aggressive snapping emphasis on the attack that you can get from using a pick.

Which conclusively actually makes it entirely up to personal preferences, application and context, which technique you use.

Also there is more than just one finger style method, there's the classic 2 or 3 finger plucking technique, but there is also the acoustic classical guitar finger picking technique, or flamenco style index and middle finger flicking, double thumbing, thumb + index finger edge of finger/nail faux pick technique, and then of course slapping as well.

All with their own unique tone and useability, advantages and disadvantages.

Ideally you would want to learn how to do them all, including using a pick.

Funny thing I’ve gone full 360 on this and prefer the tone with a pick now ! 
Rock PBass and valve amp seem to be the ideal match to a pick tone 

I think an advantage of pick playing is clarity of tone and attack where the bass is crossing over into guitar like territory.

This isn’t a failed guitarist playing bass but a good bass player adding bass and guitar like support to a band in particular one guitar type bands come to mind.

I need to be a bassist and bassist / rhythm guitar player at times in our rock band to fill out the band sound during guitarist solos etc etc 

Finger style works too of course but it’s not quite the same as we all know 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Update … finger style tone great that it is but I’m discovering a new love of pick playing and setting everything up to EQ based around using a pick 

What have I discovered 

1: speed is a bit faster than my podgy digits 

2: less fundamental in the note ? 

3: less woolly tone ( low deep rumble ) 

4: clarity improved to the extent strings, effects, basses actually sound better instead of swamped with low bass 

5: Sounds very different near to amp and drummer but less so out front 

6: pick size materials and gauge make a difference 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Update … finger style tone great that it is but I’m discovering a new love of pick playing and setting everything up to EQ based around using a pick 

What have I discovered 

1: speed is a bit faster than my podgy digits 

2: less fundamental in the note ? 

3: less woolly tone ( low deep rumble ) 

4: clarity improved to the extent strings, effects, basses actually sound better instead of swamped with low bass 

5: Sounds very different near to amp and drummer but less so out front 

6: pick size materials and gauge make a difference 

I agree.

Been a long time finger player but recently played with a rock band for a while. A lot of the basslines just didn't sound right with fingers so swapped to pick and it made a big difference. 

I now chop and change with the other bands I play with. It's good to be versatile.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gjones said:

I agree.

Been a long time finger player but recently played with a rock band for a while. A lot of the basslines just didn't sound right with fingers so swapped to pick and it made a big difference. 

I now chop and change with the other bands I play with. It's good to be versatile.

Although I’m a competent pick player I’ve avoided it for too long. 

It was influenced by what I felt and heard playing next to a drummer ( rock ) and fingers gave me the thump.

However the pick really shows the clarity of the note with faster attack that suits most rock songs better in my opinion. 

I have to resist the urge to stop using a pick as I do think for me in the band it’s got a better sound than the deep thumpy woolly sounding notes. 

For me I think it’s my large fingers that don’t help the finger tone. I have such a limited attack fingerstyle and for rock you need it I feel. 

11 minutes ago, gjones said:

I agree.

3 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I have to resist the urge to stop using a pick as I do think for me in the band it’s got a better sound than the deep thumpy woolly sounding notes. 

Other than those who are soloists, our job is to serve the song, if using a pick does that, job done. I swap between pick and fingers in the band as required, I’ve even started doing some old school thumb style for a couple of songs. It’s also fun to mix it up.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 04/12/2023 at 22:21, Valere said:

Have you ever tried a pick with flatwound strings and a foam mute on the bridge? It’s the old school rock sound. You can thank me later 🙂

Tried flatwounds and didn’t like them. Roundwounds definitely for me 

• Like 1