Why become a member? ×

Combo or Cab Isolator - On the Cheap...

PaulThePlug

Made this from a bit of MDF out of a skip up the road... a carpet tile... and some left over edging strips from the foam mats i put down in the garage... bit of black spray paint around the edges and no more nails glue...

1845212996_IsolateTop_resized.thumb.jpg.10a544f8444a10ffb73f504461b3fc4b.jpg

1960794918_IsolateBot_resized.thumb.jpg.bd8f3f4ce25183729d9b354bb781c18f.jpg

Isolate.thumb.jpg.a6fc9b85f07ab4fd7f0decc7dc113ffe.jpg

Edited by PaulThePlug

In the days when I was still using a conventional bass rig I found that using the Gramma Pad actually made the bass stack more unstable on some stages especially one where the ideal location for the drum kit and bass speakers meant that the kick drum pedal and the bass rig were mechanically connected via some loose boards under the carpeting and resulted in some terrifying looking movements of the bass rig!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

In the days when I was still using a conventional bass rig I found that using the Gramma Pad actually made the bass stack more unstable on some stages especially one where the ideal location for the drum kit and bass speakers meant that the kick drum pedal and the bass rig were mechanically connected via some loose boards under the carpeting and resulted in some terrifying looking movements of the bass rig!

Reminds me of a gig I did on the back of a flatbed farm trailer that hadn't been braced at all.

10 seconds into the sound check we took the amps off the top of the cabs and put them on the floor instead. It was a nightmare.

On 09/05/2022 at 13:39, PaulThePlug said:

For clarification, only the bit of MDF came from the skip... NOT my beloved Marshall, before anyone starts with the funny quips about putting it back!...

You joke, but our guitarist currently runs a stack of two little Marshall Code 25 amps, one of which he found one in a skip.

4 minutes ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

You joke, but our guitarist currently runs a stack of two little Marshall Code 25 amps, one of which he found one in a skip.

Our guitarist often plays a strat copy he found in a skip. He also has most of a PA and a working lighting rig from the same source!

I don't think he makes a habit out of late night skip raids, but he works as a mechanic at the place the skips end up at, so gets to see what's about to be chucked out.

On 12/05/2022 at 12:58, FinnDave said:

Our guitarist often plays a strat copy he found in a skip. He also has most of a PA and a working lighting rig from the same source!

I don't think he makes a habit out of late night skip raids, but he works as a mechanic at the place the skips end up at, so gets to see what's about to be chucked out.

I think we found our drummer in a skip.

• Haha 3