Why become a member? ×

I Love Gigging!

I love playing live. It’s what I wanted to do from the time I saw those cool gatefold sleeve live LPs in the 80s from bands like Iron Maiden, Scorpions and Kiss. 

I’m lucky enough to be out playing fairly regularly at the moment, and doing some good gigs with some great musicians.

Everyone knows the downsides, which are many if you choose to focus on them.

But the feeling of doing a cool  gig, playing with musicians who fire you up and an audience who are really up for it - that’s the nearest thing to magic. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

I love playing live. It’s what I wanted to do from the time I saw those cool gatefold sleeve live LPs in the 80s from bands like Iron Maiden, Scorpions and Kiss. 

I’m lucky enough to be out playing fairly regularly at the moment, and doing some good gigs with some great musicians.

Everyone knows the downsides, which are many if you choose to focus on them.

But the feeling of doing a cool  gig, playing with musicians who fire you up and an audience who are really up for it - that’s the nearest thing to magic. 

I played my first live gig in 1968, and I'm still playing live gigs.  The final paragraph in Bassbiscuits' post above says it all.

• Like 2

I love playing live and probably wouldn't be playing at all if the lure of gigs wasn't there in some form. I've played great gigs (my opinion) and bad gigs (everyone's opinion) and lots of mediocre gigs but all of them have something to look back on and be pleased with - even if it's just the packet of crisps as rider or the inebriated bingo caller. I've been fortunate to play with some gifted musicians way above my standard, pushing me to be better. I've played with the odd numpty (tuning the guitar because the guitarist couldn't for alcoholic reasons, for example) but they only tend to happen once. 

I enjoy the relaxed creativity of rehearsals, particularly when we're working on brand new material. I'm not that keen on practicing at home unless I'm working on something new - be it a new part or trying out new effects. 

But there's something special about sharing a stage with a bunch of like-minded friends in a venue with an expectant audience, band vs world, and their reaction to the first few songs. If it's a good gig, it's great and there's nothing quite like it. The buzz is amazing and I genuinely get pleasure from knowing our audience have had a good time. If it's a bad gig, the journey home in the bus/van/overcrowded car is lively and usually ends with 'Great Plans' for next time. (Which tend to get forgotten, of course.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

June has been an excellent month for me. Six gigs across four different bands with very little crossover. The next two gigs are with two different bands again, one rock covers and the other ska, so a bit of homework to do. I can’t remember the last time I was so busy. Love it 🤟