Why become a member? ×

I Love Gigging!

Created as a contrast to the 'I Hate Gigging' thread, in which some of the comments I find utterly depressing, I would like to think that the majority of Basschatters do actually enjoy the gigging experience.

I get that there are some that cannot deal with getting up in front of a crowd or prefer to make music behind closed doors and that's fine, but let's leave the hate out of it.

I for one certainly wouldn't do a single gig that I wasn't looking forward to. I don't understand why people would, unless of course they have to for financial reasons.

Through 40 years of gigging, I cannot recall a single date that I haven't looked forward to. There have been a few that I've been a bit nervous about for one reason or another, but in the main, those days are long gone.

There have also been a few gigs that once I've arrived at the venue, it has become clear that it was not what any of the band were expecting which can be a bit of a buzz kill, but I think we've all had a few of them.

For me, gigging is about putting smiles on people faces and getting them moving. I don't do it for the money (although it's a nice bi-product) and I certainly do it for any kind of adoration; it's just a great thing to be able to make people happy and then leave feeling like they've been entertained for an evening. I'm not saying I wouldn't find it a strain, but I would be out every night if I could.

Let's hear it for the love of gigging.

• Like 27

I found that it was the first forty years that were the best, and even now, when the rare opportunities come up, I look forward to it, as long as I am able, and allowed, to coil up a lead or two to help out at the end. Fond memories of a totally empty dance hall, on the evening that the first discothèque opened a couple of miles away. The old lady with her broom chasing out the lads that had started fighting. The guitarist, Michel, taking over Gégé's bass to show him how to play 'Sir Duke', but using a banana, the 'discussion' with the BL as to how to play drums for Stones numbers, the 'British' way, the tour bus stuck in a snow drift, and that time all the tyres had been slashed. Clearing a wedding 'do' with a rendering of King Crimson and Saucerful Of Secrets, as a drum-keys duo (wildly applauded...). I had heard the expression 'Sex'n'drugs'n'Rock'n'Roll'. Rock, every time? Drugs..? Saw 'em about oft-times. But when does the 'sex' kick in..? o.O

• Haha 4

Personally, I can’t find any other reason to play bass than to play live. I’m in now way criticising those who love to shred at home but, unlike guitar or piano, there’s little enjoyment in it. That’s why I’ve taken to playing guitar at home, and the byproduct means my bass playing is better.

• Like 5

I played my first music, in front of punters, for over two years last night.

It looked like it might never happen, as the singer of my main band had some serious health issues over lockdown, but she's feeling much better now and ready to Rock n Roll again.

I'd been rehearsing with other bands but they're not quite ready to gig yet (if it ever happens).

It was great to get up and turn everything up to 10 (well actually the gain was probably on about 2).

We ended up playing everything about 3 times it's correct normal speed (I think the drummer was a bit nervous).

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Love it. Well and truly back into it after covid. Out every week now (except when I’m away in June) until new year! I don’t have to do it. I want to do it. 😃

Yes, it's really weird that this year is busier than the few years immediately before the Big C.

I'm also getting a fair bit of dep work as well. I'm not quite sure why this is happening, but I have gigs with 3 new bands I've not played with this year, plus some Ska dates.

I have by no means gone out of my way to seek these out, they've just fallen in my lap, so I guess quite a lot of bands are busy. Either that or a lot of bass players have given up gigging 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yes, it's really weird that this year is busier than the few years immediately before the Big C.

I'm also getting a fair bit of dep work as well. I'm not quite sure why this is happening, but I have gigs with 3 new bands I've not played with this year, plus some Ska dates.

I have by no means gone out of my way to seek these out, they've just fallen in my lap, so I guess quite a lot of bands are busy. Either that or a lot of bass players have given up gigging 🤷‍♂️

That’s great though! Its obviously reputation 😉

We seem to have a lot more parties this year, I guess people catching up from the last 2 years of staying in.  Started taking bookings for 2024 weddings now. 😃

• Like 2

I love gigging, but have found that I need to get the right balance. My last band was pretty full-on, gigging most weekends with sometimes gigs both Fri & Sat, and these gigs were all over the UK and in Europe. Whilst it was great I just wasn’t getting enough rest & recuperation time. So I’m now in a band that does about 10 gigs a year, which suits me much better. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I love gigging, but have found that I need to get the right balance. My last band was pretty full-on, gigging most weekends with sometimes gigs both Fri & Sat, and these gigs were all over the UK and in Europe. Whilst it was great I just wasn’t getting enough rest & recuperation time. So I’m now in a band that does about 10 gigs a year, which suits me much better. 

Yes, balance is very important. I've had some killer drives already this year, but the reception at the other end of them made it all worth it.

We stayed over on one a few weeks back and we had another gig on home turf the following night. So I had a long drive home on Saturday, quick change and out again for another 6/7 hours. I felt that one 😂.

I too love gigging. Been doing it pretty much continuously for over 45 years, nearly 30 of them 

in a full time capacity. Strangely I’ve even enjoyed many of those gigs that were purely taken on to 

put food on the table, and can only remember a small number which were true car crashes.

Like others have mentioned, I see playing bass as a group activity, and wish I’d started playing

it sooner - my first few years of gigging were as a guita*ist, which I was competent at but not as

good as many other players around me. ( I’m no virtuoso on bass either, but am what people

usually term ‘a solid player’.)

Even on those days when I may be not so keen on driving up and down the country in our band bus,

I never lose sight of the fact that those people who come to see us play actually pay my wages,

and also how much it means to them too. That alone makes it all worthwhile for me.

If there was no audience then I doubt whether I would continue to play bass, probably choosing

to amuse myself playing guitar and piano very badly.

• Like 6

I love gigging too. I didn't even want to read the other thread.

I've had people sit down on the manky floor at The Louisiana to listen to my band. And I've had everyone in the place dancing with another. Plus, at great personal expense, did a tour of Japan with one band. Haven't ever done travelling like that before. All different, but all fun!

• Like 2

I actually took time out from gigging which turned into a 25 year break. I can't understand why as since returning it just gets better. My bandmates and I are creating things I am proud of and even humbled by. I get genuinely emotional performing it.

• Like 1

If I didn't gig I probably wouldn't play.  I don't enjoy the stuff that goes either side of gigs - the 2 hour drives, unloading & setup, or waiting around forever for the soundcheck, but once I get on stage, all that's forgotten. Making music with like minded people and entertaining a room full of punters at the same time is the best thing in the world.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TheRev said:

If I didn't gig I probably wouldn't play.  I don't enjoy the stuff that goes either side of gigs - the 2 hour drives, unloading & setup, or waiting around forever for the soundcheck, but once I get on stage, all that's forgotten. Making music with like minded people and entertaining a room full of punters at the same time is the best thing in the world.

Amen. I agree with all this. The worst for me used to be weddings; the setting up and then endless waiting used to drive me to distraction. 

These days we do fewer, better quality gigs but that said, a good music pub with a decent crowd is still hard to beat :)

• Like 2

I used to love gigging when I was younger, playing dance stuff but not in pubs. I get dispirited if people just sit or stand but get a full on buzz when they feel they just have to dance. To me it should feel like a party. I could find a band in my area that played such stuff I'll be right back in there.

• Like 1

I love it too. Many many years of entertaining people. The longest time I've off since 1987 was Lockdown 1. I now only do the gigs I want, it's even more fun that way. And so far will have done just over 50 this year (if nothing else changes)

Yesterday afternoon's gig (sunday btw) was awesome. Lovely people having a great time

• Like 2

I live to play music with other people, and the apex of the experience is playing gigs for people who enjoy what we play. Without gigs, my interest would soon fade away - it was difficult to pick up a bass during the lockdowns as there seemed no point anymore. 

Band has been revitalised with new  drummer, and gigs on the horizon - life is good again.

• Like 3