Why become a member? ×

Truss rod maxed out advice.

bigthumb

This week I took delivery of a very nice 1982 Squier JV Precision a bass I've always wanted but never managed to get the right one, in excellent and unmodified condition. 

Anyhow, the truss rod will not tighten any further and there is still a huge amount of relief to the neck and obviously very high action. Needles to say that the bass is going to be returned where the seller is going to try and get sorted. 

So I'm wondering what can be done to fix it or is the bass (neck) a wright off? 'IF' it could be repaired I would like to have it back as it really is that nice, the neck profile is the nicest I've experienced on a Pbass. 

I've owned many basses over the years and none that I can recall have had any issues like this so I'm pretty much clueless as to what can be done. 

I think it has the type of truss rod with a brass nut?  There are a number of things that may have happened, but it maybe that the nut has bottomed on the thread of the rod.  If so, Fender sell spacer washers (the inside and outside dia's are a bit unusual which is why standard washers are no good.  It says something, though, that Fender sell them...) that you pop under the nut to give it a few more turns before bottoming.  Worth a try...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I think it has the type of truss rod with a brass nut?  There are a number of things that may have happened, but it maybe that the nut has bottomed on the thread of the rod.  If so, Fender sell spacer washers (the inside and outside dia's are a bit unusual which is why standard washers are no good.  It says something, though, that Fender sell them...) that you pop under the nut to give it a few more turns before bottoming.  Worth a try...

Thanks for that info. I would have no idea but it sounds promising that it can be fixed. This is the neck in question> It won't go any tighter but it dose loosen with ease so it's not stuck. 

IMG_1673.jpg

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Fender sell spacer washers (the inside and outside dia's are a bit unusual which is why standard washers are no good. 

Despite some diligent googling, I can only find these for sale in the USA (eg. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393312389818?hash=item5b933ecaba:g:al0AAOSwGK5hTAUI). Does anyone know where you can get them in the UK?

Fender Part Number: 002-2335-049

Size: 0.209" ID x 0.367" OD x 0.032" Thickness

5.03 x 9.03 x 0.8 

? - M5 Washer 5.3mm A2 Stainless Steel Form A Thick Flat Washers (25 Pack) Free UK Delivery https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009Z06D3Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_i_KEX7039VNCMTSWWMY4H2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m no expert in these things but a re these the same thing ? 

DA7DD9FD-AB9B-43D9-BBAB-EB1B5F9888CC.jpeg

Those look right to me.  Odd description but it is the small outside diameter that is key - much smaller than a standard M5 washer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigthumb said:

Thanks for that info. I would have no idea but it sounds promising that it can be fixed. This is the neck in question> It won't go any tighter but it dose loosen with ease so it's not stuck. 

IMG_1673.jpg

Yes - you should find that it unscrews completely.  You then pop one or two washers over the threaded end and screw it back on.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Those look right to me.  Odd description but it is the small outside diameter that is key - much smaller than a standard M5 washer.

Thanks Andy, for what they cost it would possibly be worth a try 

Thanks ReggaeBass and PaulThePlug. The Gibraltar tension rod washers look good. As Andyjr1515 says, it's the small outer diameter that's important. A regular M5 washer is too big.

• Like 1

On 08/05/2022 at 18:11, Andyjr1515 said:

Would it be worthwhile clamping the neck for longer so the the wood itself straightens? It seems a lot to ask the truss rod to take all the strain as in the video. I have straighend a neck like this but with tension off the truss rod and I left it clamped for a week or so. \The truss rod then only had to correct the string tension.

For info - I bought a pack of the Gibraltar Tension Rod Washers and they're 10mm OD / 6mm ID which is too big. I managed to get some M5 washers (ID 5.03mm) with a reduced outer diameter (9mm) from Accu. These are  a very close match for the Fender washers. Link below if of any interest.

https://www.accu.co.uk/flat-washers/404899-HRDW-M5-A2

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, ikay said:

For info - I bought a pack of the Gibraltar Tension Rod Washers and they're 10mm OD / 6mm ID which is too big

Oh - that's a b****r.  I wonder what those are designed for then?  Great link - didn't realise they did non-standard diameter ones.  Thanks

For those preferring a  DIY solution, I've found that the threaded washer that tightens down on the wheel rim of a bicycle tyre valve is a great starting point for a "thick" washer. Normal old fashioned tyre valves are the ones I mean. Inner diameter is such that it slips over the truss rod threads and the knuled outer surface can be easily filed down to exactly match the outer diameter of the truss rod. I've used this approach successfully on a MIJ Fender bass.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Oh - that's a b****r.  I wonder what those are designed for then?  Great link - didn't realise they did non-standard diameter ones.  Thanks

Gibraltar make hardware for drums - these ones are tension washers for drum heads.

• 1 year later...
On 08/05/2022 at 17:42, Paul S said:

I did this to a neck that had a back bow but truss rod not turning any more.  Worked a treat, albeit a bit scary.

I've used this method recently.  Worked a treat..... albeit some creaking noises and general scariness going on when you apply the pressure for the relief 🙂 

• Like 1