Jump to content

Washburn XB400 Preamp removal and Rewire to Passive


Chenzman
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

 

I have an old Washburn XB400 that plays great however can’t use as the volume pot is knackered (PCB mounted) and generally the electronics seem to be problematic. I have dismantled the pot and trying to put it back together have caused some damage to the PCB 😩

 

Finding an exact replacement pot also seems to be a pain, if found I can replace as I have the tools etc however worries the tracks on the PCB may be an issue now.

 

Has anyone removed/replaced the preamp, keeping the pickups and rewired making it a passive bass? If so, do you have any recommendations? 

 

Cheers

 

Vince 

Edited by Chenzman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Chenzman changed the title to Washburn XB400 Preamp removal and Rewire to Passive

I have done this with a Sandberg Electra bass.  No real issues for me at any rate on that particular instrument.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ead said:

I have done this with a Sandberg Electra bass.  No real issues for me at any rate on that particular instrument.

Thanks for your response, can you advise what exactly you replaced them with, as I assume the pots need to go from existing 100k to 250k

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes you'll need different pots for sure (and depending on the quality of the item fitted a new jack socket is often in order.  You could do a lot worse than PM our very own Kiogon who makes very good quality passivel looms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, ead said:

Yes you'll need different pots for sure (and depending on the quality of the item fitted a new jack socket is often in order.  You could do a lot worse than PM our very own Kiogon who makes very good quality passivel looms.

Excellent, very much appreciated, I’ll drop him a message! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 08/05/2022 at 13:05, Chenzman said:

Hi all,

 

I have an old Washburn XB400 that plays great however can’t use as the volume pot is knackered (PCB mounted) and generally the electronics seem to be problematic. I have dismantled the pot and trying to put it back together have caused some damage to the PCB 😩

 

Finding an exact replacement pot also seems to be a pain, if found I can replace as I have the tools etc however worries the tracks on the PCB may be an issue now.

 

Has anyone removed/replaced the preamp, keeping the pickups and rewired making it a passive bass? If so, do you have any recommendations? 

 

Cheers

 

Vince 

I had a 5 string version and the truss rod snapped and the neck was beyond repair..I used the Bart’s on a thunderbird style bass which a local guitar luthier sorted for me ..I have it set up passive vvt which suites the thunderbird sound I wanted obviously doesn’t have the range of eq as before..did sell the preamp on here with a job lot of tuners and bridges ..you want me to try and track the purchases ..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I located and bought some new 100k pots for my Washburn B 200 pre-amp board a few months ago. De-soldered the old pots no problem and put the new ones on. The only issue with the replacements is that the threaded parts are a bit shorter than the originals so not enough length to poke through the body to secure with nuts. Basically I just plonked the knobs back on which holds them in place though they are a little "wobbly". I guess I could shave away some of wood in the cavity so that I can get them to poke through enough to get nuts back on. For now I'm just happy that I have good pots and the preamp still works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/05/2022 at 10:36, patrikmarky said:

I had a 5 string version and the truss rod snapped and the neck was beyond repair..I used the Bart’s on a thunderbird style bass which a local guitar luthier sorted for me ..I have it set up passive vvt which suites the thunderbird sound I wanted obviously doesn’t have the range of eq as before..did sell the preamp on here with a job lot of tuners and bridges ..you want me to try and track the purchases ..

Thanks for the offer dude, however thanks to @KiOgonI managed to get it converted to a passive bass using one of his kits :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/05/2022 at 10:51, Bleat said:

I located and bought some new 100k pots for my Washburn B 200 pre-amp board a few months ago. De-soldered the old pots no problem and put the new ones on. The only issue with the replacements is that the threaded parts are a bit shorter than the originals so not enough length to poke through the body to secure with nuts. Basically I just plonked the knobs back on which holds them in place though they are a little "wobbly". I guess I could shave away some of wood in the cavity so that I can get them to poke through enough to get nuts back on. For now I'm just happy that I have good pots and the preamp still works.

I did see some on eBay however were too short and was worried they wouldn’t fit. Turns out I ended up damaging the board so thankfully was able to convert it

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...