Why become a member? ×

First gig as a g*i*a*i*t... whole new set of problems and GAS (get in)

warwickhunt

This post isn't me bragging that I can play a lesser instrument, it's an observation that sometimes a change is definitely as good as a rest and I wondered how many of our die-hard bass players had ventured out of their comfort zone to play other instruments.

After 42 years as a gigging bass player I decided a new challenge was in order (tbh I was feeling a bit jaded with the gigging scene etc).  Now I can strum pretty much most songs that I do on bass and with 2 mins prep I can busk through known tunes; as a result I decided I needed to get out and see how gigging a new instrument might inspire me.  This all coincided with my wife deciding at 52 years of age that sitting at home wondering what it was like to gig live, needed acting upon (she can sing and has always sung around the house/with friends).  As such we formed an acoustic duo 'The Jack Doors Duo' and set about learning sh*t.  Established in 2 weeks that I could knock out 50-60 songs, refined it to 30 and got a gig... that is after the quagmire of amplifying an acoustic and getting the best from a small PA etc.  

The gig went well last night, teething trouble with rogue frequencies on the acoustic and plectrum choice (yes, you only find out at the gig what will/won't work best) but felt good.  Must have acquitted ourselves as we were asked if we could do every 6-8 weeks.  I have to say that the main point was that it is a very different experience to be the backbone of a band playing bass and supporting the overall band, as opposed to being the sole musical source for a performance.  Lots of variables to consider, leading to various considerations for improving my performance and the equipment... now if only the log in to Guitarchat actually worked, I could start buying different sh*t.  :)  

• Like 5

This is funny! I recently swapped from playing bass to guitar in a band with a load of my best friends.

It’s really strange, figuring out when to play and when not to play, how to use dynamics and trying not to double the bass parts I’d played. 

When I’m at home I practice guitar not bass and it doesn’t harm either.

2 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

now if only the log in to Guitarchat actually worked, I could start buying different sh*t.  :)

I had issues with using the same details on here which @Kiwi kindly sorted for me.

I got Mrs Zero singing at open mics, with me playing guitar. We haven't done any for some time now but we want to start again. I started out as a guitarist around 50 years ago and use still guitar to write songs.

I’ve always played both.

I spent a few years fronting a couple of bands playing guitar and singing.

When I was in the mood for a new band I’d always put an advert up for all instruments and If a guitarist answered first then I’d play bass or vice versa.

I always write on guitar too, an old nylon string. 

In my first band (late 70s early 80s) all of us played everything (guitar/bass/keyboards/percussion/any other instruments we could get hold of), and who played what on any particular song was down to a mixture of who wrote the music and who could play which part the best. By the end of the band we had become more settled into individual rolls with me playing bass most of the time. Since then my musical "career" by band has gone as follows:

2. Bass

3. Synth

4. Guitar & Synth

5. Bass

6. Synth

7. Bass eventually swapping to guitar

8. Bass

9. Bass

10. Bass

11 & 12 Bass and synth

5 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

As such we formed an acoustic duo 'The Jack Doors Duo'

50 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I got Mrs Zero singing at open mics, with me playing guitar.

Sounds like there’s an abba style hook up in the mix 😄

17 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Since then my musical "career" by band has gone as follows:

2. Bass

3. Synth

4. Guitar & Synth

5. Bass

6. Synth

7. Bass eventually swapping to guitar

8. Bass

9. Bass

10. Bass

11 & 12 Bass and synth

I see a Peruvian Nasal flute in your near future! 

11 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

I did email/message but obvs folks can have hands full.

I haven't seen anything come in via the Support inbox.  If you're having issues, try a password reset on GC.  While it uses the same database, it's not shared with BC and your password for GC will be whatever it was for BC when the BC database was copied over.

11 hours ago, Bunion said:

I think he’s on the opposite time to us too 😄

Seven to eight hours ahead, so I'm working while you sleep peacefully.  No Indian call centres are involved.

Nice one. 

I play acoustic guitar (extremely badly) nowhere near the level where I feel like I could carry a gig. 

I always struggled with the bar chords. They're proper F ing B s. 

Open chords I'm fine with. I just can't change quickly enough to the claw shape. So my guitar journey kind of stalled there. I do occasionally still like to pick it up and have a strum though, and I write most of my songs on guitar, then give them to our proper guitarist for refinement. 

My wife is also a singer, so it's something I aspire to do one day. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I haven't seen anything come in via the Support inbox.  If you're having issues, try a password reset on GC.  While it uses the same database, it's not shared with BC and your password for GC will be whatever it was for BC when the BC database was copied over.

Seven to eight hours ahead, so I'm working while you sleep peacefully.  No Indian call centres are involved.

I'll try that now.  ;)

I play acoustic guitar and sing at home but I can't do it in front of people. I practised for months thinking I'd get up at my local acoustic night but I just couldn't do it.

I've played gigs on lead guitar, and I generally do well, but I find it very nerve wracking, and when it gets to a solo I find myself blushing, I've seen footage and it looks/sounds great, but I feel so far out of my comfort zone

Bass and drums feel easy in comparison, in terms of actually performing in front of people, 'cos I know I'm not the centre of attention I suppose.

• Like 1

I strummed/picked/plucked away at all manner of guitars acoustical and electrical for nigh on 30 years. I can honestly say that I wasn’t much better on day the last as I was on day the first. Once I picked up a bass it was a duck-to-water experience.

Most of my gigs have been as a sax player… I think it may be that I’m better playing one note at a time. Playing an entire chord obviously counts as multi-tasking.