Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Two10s & One10t Question

thebrig

I have a Barefaced ONE10t mainly for home practise, and I have just purchased a Barefaced TWO10s for gigging.

My question is:

Could I use them both together when gigging?

They will probably be driven by a Fendle Rumble 800 head.

Edited by thebrig

Maybe. It all depends on the impedances of the two cabs and the minimum load allowed the amp.

When cab impedance is equal they share power draw equally. Ideally your 210 would be half the impedance of the 110 but then you may run into minimum load issues.

Likely the 110 is 8 ohm. If the 210 is also 8 ohm you have the issue that it is running half power at the same time as the 110 is flat out. With an 800w amp that doesn't bode well for the 110 and you haven't got the 210 working properly.

That being the case, two 8 ohm cabs, if you just want a cool 310 tower that is easy to hear there's probably no harm to be done so long as you aren't going for big volume, but you could do very nearly the same output much more safely just using the 210 sitting on a riser.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Maybe. It all depends on the impedances of the two cabs and the minimum load allowed the amp.

When cab impedance is equal they share power draw equally. Ideally your 210 would be half the impedance of the 110 but then you may run into minimum load issues.

Likely the 110 is 8 ohm. If the 210 is also 8 ohm you have the issue that it is running half power at the same time as the 110 is flat out. With an 800w amp that doesn't bode well for the 110 and you haven't got the 210 working properly.

That being the case, two 8 ohm cabs, if you just want a cool 310 tower that is easy to hear there's probably no harm to be done so long as you aren't going for big volume, but you could do very nearly the same output much more safely just using the 210 sitting on a riser.

I suppose I could always just use the One10t (unconnected), as a riser for the Two10s, it would certainly look the part. 😉

This is the setup, which for someone who knows nothing about how heads and cabs work, is confusing to me. 🤔

The Rumble is switchable 8/4 or 2 ohms

The Two10s is switchable 4 or 12 ohms

The One10t is 8 ohms

FR 800.jpeg

Two10s.jpeg

BF One10t.webp

Edited by thebrig

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m interested in the advice, I don’t know the maths but  I asked about mixing a two10S which can be switched 4 or 12 ohm , with my bb2 which is 8 ohm , and was told it’s not a good idea 🙂

Depends on your amp.

32 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Using the Two10 in 4ohm mode and with the One10 in 8ohm gives you a load of 2.7ohm

If you set the amp to 2ohm that will be fine to use them all together.

That's what my limited understanding of ohms led me to think, but I wasn't sure, so thanks for that advice. 👍

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Using the Two10 in 4ohm mode and with the One10 in 8ohm gives you a load of 2.7ohm

And the 4ohm 210 will get 2x the power of the 8ohm 110, so it'd be distributed equally across the 3 drivers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m interested in the advice, I don’t know the maths but  I asked about mixing a two10S which can be switched 4 or 12 ohm , with my bb2 which is 8 ohm , and was told it’s not a good idea 🙂

Less to do with the impedances and more to do with whether it’ll sound good I expect.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Merton said:

Less to do with the impedances and more to do with whether it’ll sound good I expect.

Thanks Merton, perhaps that was what they meant, I don’t need one but I’ve got an itch for the two10S , you know how it is 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Asked who? 

I've heard that Barefaced are of the opinion that the 12" and 10" do not mix well.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fretmeister said:

With the proviso that if it stops sounding epic and gets raggedy you need to stop doing that and turn it back down a bit. 800w is a big amp for 310 even if the 2ohm mode calms it down a bit.

Turn it up clean until it doesn't get hardly any louder and turn it back down a smidge. That's your lot.

You will need earplugs.

• Like 1

Alex at Barefaced has explained that the Two 10 has a filtering circuit to allow one of the 10s to be full range and the other 10 is filtered to reduce "comb filtering"(?). IIRC There's quite a bit of info on the website explaining how the BF Two 10 is superior to our brands 2x10s because of the inclusion of the filtering.  Now I'm  not sure if running the Two 12 and the One10t in close proximity will be effected by any comb filtering between the two cabs and be detrimental to the sound and performance.  I'm sure the Technical Guys will chime in shortly to explain far better than me.

Edited by JohnDaBass
Grammar

I think the filtering is to do with “landscape”orientation (stacking 2x Two10s, and the Four/Six/Eights).  If you’ve got them all stacked vertically, there will be no issues with the filtered driver.

The filtering is to aid lateral dispersion, as two drivers side by side can negatively affect each other.

Edited by Pea Turgh
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Slightly off topic, but I just had my first gig tonight after lockdown (and we had a slow 2019, too!). 
Ampeg PF350 into my Two10, no PA support, 9 piece soul band.  Lovely!

I’ll bet that’s a combination that sounds great - what bass were you using with it?

8 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ll bet that’s a combination that sounds great - what bass were you using with it?

My trusty old Squier JV P.  To be honest, the venue is a little acoustically hindered, so I think I felt more than I heard, but that too is fun!

Edited by Pea Turgh
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, chris_b said:

Asked who? 

I've heard that Barefaced are of the opinion that the 12" and 10" do not mix well.

I'm asking about pairing a BF Two10s with a BF One10t, not sure where the 12" comes in? 🤔