Jump to content

*gasp* Look at this MusicMan Big Al 5-string at The Bass Gallery... gorgous!


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Nope, never ever going to get excited by tobacco sunburst.  Neck is lovely though, and its not original!

 

That body wing in a completely different wood grain looks awful, unless its a trick of the camera.


IIRC, and it’s the same bass I’m thinking of, it went back to the factory when new owing to a defect discovered and they fitted a new neck. It’s an OE neck I would imagine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

such instruments are also fugly in some cases (IMHO) - however I’m really not inclined to log in and tell everyone - like most people, I just walk past what I’m not interested in!!

I think we know what you're interested in! 🤣 In the last 5-6 years I expect you to pop up in any thread  about Ernie Ball basses saying how you think they are great in some way or the other. I'm not sure that positivity is much different really to other long standing members not liking something. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:


Yep agreed - that’s really nice and especially the neck. I think I know who owns (or used to own that). There’s quite a following for Big Als so I would imagine it would sell quite quickly. As for the one at Bass Direct, I’m surprised it was so cheap - was it an SSS though (seems to be the most sought after version) - or maybe Bass Direct weren’t aware of the volume of people looking for them (in the US often though). 
 

One thing which never ceases to amaze me is the number of people who are willing to take the trouble to log in on forums and post totally negative views on a thread (fugly etc etc). To the extent we get more fugly comments than anything else - I’m not sure how helpful those comments are - seems a bit like pi**ing in the wind to me as the people who like the instrument will just think they’re rather silly!! 
 

I often feel people’s love for certain 50s/60s designed and rather average instruments is odd (I’m thinking, from memory any electrical device from 1960 came with built in hum and other negatives but no-one would dream of using them instead of properly engineered modern stuff using a range of elements invented in the last 50+ years nowadays, certainly on a day to day basis) but mediocre instruments containing the same - well some musicians seem to absolutely love em  - such instruments are also fugly in some cases (IMHO) - however I’m really not inclined to log in and tell everyone - like most people, I just walk past what I’m not interested in!!  

I suppose  people's reactions to how these basses look is pertinent in so much as that is  probably the  biggest reason why these basses never really caught on and were discontinued.

 

I am frequently struck by the converse in so much as I am very often shocked and surprised by the basses people on forums find appealing and attractive. Basses I would shun are almost invariably enthused about by all and sundry.😄

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:


Yep agreed - that’s really nice and especially the neck. I think I know who owns (or used to own that). There’s quite a following for Big Als so I would imagine it would sell quite quickly. As for the one at Bass Direct, I’m surprised it was so cheap - was it an SSS though (seems to be the most sought after version) - or maybe Bass Direct weren’t aware of the volume of people looking for them (in the US often though). 
 

One thing which never ceases to amaze me is the number of people who are willing to take the trouble to log in on forums and post totally negative views on a thread (fugly etc etc). To the extent we get more fugly comments than anything else - I’m not sure how helpful those comments are - seems a bit like pi**ing in the wind to me as the people who like the instrument will just think they’re rather silly!! 
 

I often feel people’s love for certain 50s/60s designed and rather average instruments is odd (I’m thinking, from memory any electrical device from 1960 came with built in hum and other negatives but no-one would dream of using them instead of properly engineered modern stuff using a range of elements invented in the last 50+ years nowadays, certainly on a day to day basis) but mediocre instruments containing the same - well some musicians seem to absolutely love em  - such instruments are also fugly in some cases (IMHO) - however I’m really not inclined to log in and tell everyone - like most people, I just walk past what I’m not interested in!!  

It was an SSS and now belongs to me, it is definitely marmite to some people but I love it, have always wanted to try one and there was a black one that was for sale on FB recently also so they are still out there..I may look out for a 4 string now as well

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

I think we know what you're interested in! 🤣 In the last 5-6 years I expect you to pop up in any thread  about Ernie Ball basses saying how you think they are great in some way or the other. I'm not sure that positivity is much different really to other long standing members not liking something. 


Thank you for your observation on my posting - I’m particularly flattered you find it necessary to observe all my posts - however you’ve obviously not done that very effectively as you’ve missed the Jaydee and Wal stuff. Not entirely sure who the ‘we’ you are referring to are? Perhaps you could elaborate??!! 😂😂 is there some sort of ‘Forum elite’ in operation here 🙄
 

Anyway you’ll be surprised to know I don’t particularly like the Big Al bass. I’ve heard they’re extremely good so might be interested in trying one. 

I have been a fan of Musicman basses since I first bought one new 40+ yrs ago and realised how good it was - my view hasn’t changed but I don’t like all the models they’ve introduced. Apologies if such enthusiasm irritates some individuals - I’m pretty sure not all members have that view. 


 

 

 

Edited by drTStingray
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, drTStingray said:


No you didn’t offend but I was surprised so many people felt strongly enough to say they didn’t like the bass, seemingly just to contradict the OP!! I’m not doubting they don’t like it!! 

 


I wasn’t thinking it was - however i remain surprised at the volume of ‘I don’t like it’ posts in some threads on bass forums (probably the most idiotic example is re Rickenbacker on this particular forum).
 

There is some reasonable debate often and helpful responses for people but the ‘it’s fugly’ posts are frankly a bit fatuous and dare I say, arguably, don’t add much - there is a fine line between trolling and sensible posts? 

 

I said I thought it was ugly because I thought it ugly. Not because I wanted to counter the OP for the sake of it, or because I'm fatuous, or because I'm a troll. Yes, I could have kept quiet, leaving the OP to his opinion which he's welcome to. Beauty is unquantifiable, or qualifiable. But that said I can't quite see the point of posting on a forum where everyone agrees with you or is frightened off giving their opinion if it differs.  So now cancel culture is here too. Sad.   

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FWIW (which in the context of discussion is precisely zero :)) I really like the Big Al bass shape.  I'm a big fan of mid-20th century design and this looks very 'retro/50s/atomic' inspired to my eyes, although I am not sure the headstock matches particularly well.  Black with maple neck looks great (of course, doesn't it always? :))

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Cool model, but the burst doesn't suit it. Would look great in a solid finish or one of EBMM's incredible metallic or sparkle finishes. 

So true - like AT yellow/green (?) post above, colour can make a big difference … personal preferences of course. 


I’m sure there is real science behind colours and shapes as some cars can look so different in certain colours due to the way the lines and panel shapes reflect the light.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, CJPJ said:

So true - like AT yellow/green (?) post above, colour can make a big difference … 

Aye, that would be a Dargie Delight limited edition 😎

 

I quite like this look:

avk7525rvttngthv0ti6.jpg

The Reverb seller I took this pic from claims it's the "Aqua Purple" finish, but I think this is Sky Blue and I think it looks lush! 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's fugly too. FWIW, the OP did instruct us to look at the instrument (see topic heading) so if I've got to look at it, I think I should be able to express an opinion on it too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Kev said:

 

 

That body wing in a completely different wood grain looks awful, unless its a trick of the camera.

Looking at these other photos in different finishes, it appears it is a trick of the camera!  Just a straight edged body contour making it look darker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Cool model, but the burst doesn't suit it. Would look great in a solid finish or one of EBMM's incredible metallic or sparkle finishes. 


It’s a PDN version rather than a regular colour - 2015 PDN vintage tobacco burst. Unfortunately the Big Al was discontinued before the re-introduction by Musicman of the sparkle colours, which generally happened in 2018 when the Stingray Special was launched (a range of the sparkles was around in the 2000/1 era). Fuschia sparkle only appeared on the Bongo though. 

 

1 hour ago, LeftyJ said:

Aye, that would be a Dargie Delight limited edition 😎

 

I quite like this look:

avk7525rvttngthv0ti6.jpg

The Reverb seller I took this pic from claims it's the "Aqua Purple" finish, but I think this is Sky Blue and I think it looks lush! 


I agree - looks great - the colour may also be powder blue - doesn’t quite look like either though - maybe the lighting! I think sky blue is a metallic so you may be right. 
 

9 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

If one of these turned up…I’d be in big bother.

 

6498F022-32F0-4F03-94F0-F6D3AA60E814.jpeg


Cool colour - a Dargie Delight 2 - the colour flips between a brown sparkle and a green sparkle. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Aye, that would be a Dargie Delight limited edition 😎

 

I quite like this look:

avk7525rvttngthv0ti6.jpg

The Reverb seller I took this pic from claims it's the "Aqua Purple" finish, but I think this is Sky Blue and I think it looks lush! 


oooh my good lord…

 

id plump white pickups but…

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:


oooh my good lord…

 

id plump white pickups but…

It has a matching headstock though, I think the general consensus here is that's a no-go? I quite like it on this one though! 

 

Oh, but it's sold 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Aye, that would be a Dargie Delight limited edition 😎

 

I quite like this look:

avk7525rvttngthv0ti6.jpg

The Reverb seller I took this pic from claims it's the "Aqua Purple" finish, but I think this is Sky Blue and I think it looks lush! 

Mutter...mutter...if....mutter.... 5 string... mutter....

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

It has a matching headstock though, I think the general consensus here is that's a no-go? I quite like it on this one though! 

 

Oh, but it's sold 😉

Ooh god no, that’s a write off…dark boards only for matching heads…C87057E9-D61D-43D3-8CC7-64667750906B.thumb.jpeg.2dea6a250f6b0196a9d8a76cd94d9e28.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, kwmlondon said:

Oh come on, look at the neck!

 

50 years ago due to the grain pattern, that piece of wood would never have been considered for making into a guitar or bass neck.

Edited by BigRedX
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is my bass - Big Al 5 PDN (Premier Dealer Network) Vintage Tobacco Burst 2015 (completion date January 2016).

 

When it first arrived, the neck alignment was a bit off (G-string too close to the edge), so EBMM authorised a return and we had the whole instrument shipped back to the factory via Strings & Things. 
 

EBMM then built a new neck for it to the original specs. 
 

The body wood on this edition is alder. The darker looking grain on the upper part of the body is an effect of the light reflection due to the contour.

 

These are great basses.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought I recognised the bass - the first Big Als had alder bodies but they changed to mahogany after a short while so this one, apart from the exquisite neck, is quite special - if it hasn’t already sold I might try it at the Bass Gallery next week 😎

 

Good to hear from you @rodney72a also 👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...