Why become a member? ×

*gasp* Look at this MusicMan Big Al 5-string at The Bass Gallery... gorgous!

kwmlondon

I like the shape, but reckon they look better as guitars. There's something about this that doesn't quite sit right.......maybe it's the pups? Would it be better looking with a pair of humbuckers? 

I wish they made a St Vincent bass, that's probably my favourite MM shape

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

The one Bass Direct had was nicer looking (imho) and £550 cheaper to boot…

really? Well, I'm not in the market for a new bass so it's not important but damn I'd love try one

32 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I like the shape, but reckon they look better as guitars. There's something about this that doesn't quite sit right.......maybe it's the pups? Would it be better looking with a pair of humbuckers? 

I wish they made a St Vincent bass, that's probably my favourite MM shape

I have NO idea. I'm so intreagued I think I'm going to have to go down there and give one a whirl... I've got a couple of basses that need a good setup anyway so they'll get some of my monies...

image.thumb.png.45b02e0bbc6b9a61825dca6b0b2fa58f.pngimage.thumb.png.76857ab91e580ccb26c01bb12bab45d6.png

Both homemade and the only examples I could find after a 10 second Google. The were apparently plans afoot for a Pino Palladino signature model, seems it never happened. I might have a new direction for my 5 string project build.

Edited by Joe Nation
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Joe Nation said:

image.thumb.png.45b02e0bbc6b9a61825dca6b0b2fa58f.pngimage.thumb.png.76857ab91e580ccb26c01bb12bab45d6.pngBoth homemade and the only examples I could find after a 10 second Google. The were apparently plans afoot for a Pino Palladino signature model, seems it never happened. I might have a new direction for my 5 string project build.

Good lord!

22 minutes ago, Joe Nation said:

image.thumb.png.45b02e0bbc6b9a61825dca6b0b2fa58f.pngimage.thumb.png.76857ab91e580ccb26c01bb12bab45d6.png

Both homemade and the only examples I could find after a 10 second Google. The were apparently plans afoot for a Pino Palladino signature model, seems it never happened. I might have a new direction for my 5 string project build.

Reminds me of the St Vincent bass that EBMM apparently wanted to make (I remember watching a short video with Annie Clark and Sterling Ball and Sterling said that they wanted to release the St Vincent bass) but never did. 

53 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I like the pre-amp on the Big Al... but it's concealed by the body. Which is.... uh... not so great?

Does it share a preamp with the Bongo? That is immense!

4 hours ago, Joe Nation said:

Not only would a St Vincent bass neck dive like a stone, with a body that shape the neck would feel significantly further to the left than on more conventional shapes, ie the reach towards the nut.

3 hours ago, Owen said:

Does it share a preamp with the Bongo? That is immense!

It is indeed the same preamp as the Reflex, I seem to remember. I've got a Reflex and it does indeed sound immense. The bottom end is huge, probably the deepest of any bass I have ever owned. And I've owned a lot.

These  Big Al basses sounded terrific too, but I could never reconcile myself to the body shape. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nope, never ever going to get excited by tobacco sunburst.  Neck is lovely though, and its not original!

That body wing in a completely different wood grain looks awful, unless its a trick of the camera.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kwmlondon said:

This is something else:

https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass/products/music-man-big-al-5-special-edition

... I may make a pilgrimage there to try the thing out. Looks AMAZING!!!!

Yep agreed - that’s really nice and especially the neck. I think I know who owns (or used to own that). There’s quite a following for Big Als so I would imagine it would sell quite quickly. As for the one at Bass Direct, I’m surprised it was so cheap - was it an SSS though (seems to be the most sought after version) - or maybe Bass Direct weren’t aware of the volume of people looking for them (in the US often though). 

One thing which never ceases to amaze me is the number of people who are willing to take the trouble to log in on forums and post totally negative views on a thread (fugly etc etc). To the extent we get more fugly comments than anything else - I’m not sure how helpful those comments are - seems a bit like pi**ing in the wind to me as the people who like the instrument will just think they’re rather silly!! 

I often feel people’s love for certain 50s/60s designed and rather average instruments is odd (I’m thinking, from memory any electrical device from 1960 came with built in hum and other negatives but no-one would dream of using them instead of properly engineered modern stuff using a range of elements invented in the last 50+ years nowadays, certainly on a day to day basis) but mediocre instruments containing the same - well some musicians seem to absolutely love em  - such instruments are also fugly in some cases (IMHO) - however I’m really not inclined to log in and tell everyone - like most people, I just walk past what I’m not interested in!!  

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Yep agreed - that’s really nice and especially the neck. I think I know who owns (or used to own that). There’s quite a following for Big Als so I would imagine it would sell quite quickly. As for the one at Bass Direct, I’m surprised it was so cheap - was it an SSS though (seem to be the most sought after version). 

One thing which never ceases to amaze me is the number of people who are willing to take the trouble to log in on forums and post negative views on a thread (fugly etc etc). To the extent we get more fugly comments than anything else - I’m not sure how helpful those comments are - seems a bit like pi**ing in the wind to me as the people who like the instrument will just think they’re rather silly!! 

I often feel people’s love for certain 50s/60s designed and rather average instruments is odd (I’m thinking, from memory any electrical device from 1960 came with built in hum and other negatives but no-one would dream of using them instead of properly engineered modern stuff using a range of elements invented in the last 50+ years nowadays, certainly in a day to day basis) but mediocre instruments containing the same - well some musicians seem to absolutely love em  - such instruments are also fugly in some cases (IMHO) - however I’m really not inclined to log in and tell everyone - like most people, I just walk past what I’m not interested in!! 

I mean to be fair, this isn't the Ernie Ball forum.  If someone posts a thread saying how amazing something is, naturally it almost invites people to say otherwise, nature of the interwebs and discussion forums I'm afraid!  We can all dream of a world with positive vibes only, sadly never going to happen.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Well, that's me told! Apologies if I offended, different strokes for different folks. Boring old world if we all had the same taste

No you didn’t offend but I was surprised so many people felt strongly enough to say they didn’t like the bass, seemingly just to contradict the OP!! I’m not doubting they don’t like it!! 

44 minutes ago, Kev said:

I mean to be fair, this isn't the Ernie Ball forum.  If someone posts a thread saying how amazing something is, naturally it almost invites people to say otherwise, nature of the interwebs and discussion forums I'm afraid!  We can all dream of a world with positive vibes only, sadly never going to happen.

I wasn’t thinking it was - however i remain surprised at the volume of ‘I don’t like it’ posts in some threads on bass forums (probably the most idiotic example is re Rickenbacker on this particular forum).

There is some reasonable debate often and helpful responses for people but the ‘it’s fugly’ posts are frankly a bit fatuous and dare I say, arguably, don’t add much - there is a fine line between trolling and sensible posts? 

Edited by drTStingray