Why become a member? ×

Ashdown CTM100

Guest BassAdder27

Great amp, and as @2elliot says plenty loud enough with the right cab(s). I used one with either one or two Super Compacts, and then later a Four10, and it was immense.

Not got a huge amount of EQ options but what it does do, it does very well indeed.

Got one, it's very loud I was recently playing in a heavy rock/metal covers band and it barely got over a quarter with my 2x12 (subjective I know but they are more than capable with a loud drummer and guitars etc)

If you like the sound and can live with the eq options I can't think of a better valve head for the money. Doesn't feel very heavy to manoeuvre about either with the two handles on top

IMG_20220505_093939_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

And apparently Ashdown can do a mod on the eq to get greater flexibility from it

Well, when I asked I got the following response from Dave Green:

"with regard to your question on the eq section of the CTM 300, changing the Eq circuit will not increase the range of the controls only move the frequencies somewhat, variuos people have treid differing combinations only to return to standard."

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’m surprised about that, I’m sure there was a dedicated thread on here about where someone said it really opened the amp up.

Yeah, I was a little surprised too. 

8 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’m surprised about that, I’m sure there was a dedicated thread on here about where someone said it really opened the amp up.

There is a thread. I can dig the values of the modded tone pots, I have it on my laptop. The person on the thread claimed they got the new tone pot valus from Ashdown and Dave Green. That said person also lives in Dorset, and by pure coincidence uses the same amp tech as me. When I had my CTM head revalved.

I mentioned about changing the tone pots, and asked loads of questions. One of the questions was regarding would it change the fundamental tone of the head? Changing the tone pots gives a bigger sweep on each adjustment but does not fundamentally change the overall tone of the CTM 100. I can verify this.

To answer the OP question. The CTM 100 is very loud. I play in a metal band. Will easily keep up with the drummer. With either my Ashdown ABM115 Compact cab or my Albion BLS410 cab. I have two Albion BLS410 cabs, never needed the two! 

Edited by Triumph_Rock
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had one for about 4 years until I sold it about a month ago, it sounded great but TBH I never really used it much for gigs (too nervous). I actually preferred the sound from the 30W little bastard and when I needed more oomph I had a much more rugged 550W Ashdown Spyder, which is also a superb sounding amp, so it kinda fell between 2 stools. I bought a TE elf with the proceeds which I'm already getting more use out of. 

Would I buy another one...probably not if I'm honest but its a great amp for what it does. 

Edited by Quilly