Why become a member? ×

Monitoring - if tha wants owt done proper...

lozkerr

11 hours ago, lozkerr said:

No.

Bass and vocal mic go through the splitter mixer and out to the main desk. IEM feed comes back from the main desk to the splitter mixer. Ambient stage sound from separate mics goes straight into the splitter mixer, not via the main desk. What goes into my IEMs is the splitter mixer output only, made up of bass and vocal mic, ambient sound and the main desk IEM feed. 

So how is that any different to what you currently do? If the iem mix coming back from the main desk was too loud and at risk of damaging your hearing,  you're not fixing the main problem you had. 

9 hours ago, TimR said:

So how is that any different to what you currently do? If the iem mix coming back from the main desk was too loud and at risk of damaging your hearing,  you're not fixing the main problem you had. 

Sigh.

If the IEM feed from the desk gets messed up, I can kill it and still have monitoring. Also, I can use my IEMs in situations where only wedges are available.

Clear now?

On 05/05/2022 at 19:15, lozkerr said:

with bass and vocal mic outputs

Yes. All clear now. Just confusing wording that's all.

I'm still not sure not having any eq on your mic is a good thing.

Good luck. 

Edited by TimR

40 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Get a man to tell you how it should be done.

Not many women here to advise on the subject really so if you ask for advice and opinions they'll generally be from men.

Could always try the bass players section of mums net. 🤷‍♂️

21 minutes ago, TimR said:

Not many women here to advise on the subject really so if you ask for advice and opinions they'll generally be from men.

Could always try the bass players section of mums net. 🤷‍♂️

Say that last sentence to my face and I'll instantly rearrange yours, pal 🤬 Who the hell do you think you are? If you think that's funny, you've missed the mark by a wide margin.

Get this, ya wee fud. With one exception, the encouragement, support and positive advice I've received on this subject have been from men. Which I would kinda expect, given the gender bias in the world of bass-playing. I've had some good ideas passed on and I'd like to think I've helped some other folk. I am very grateful for the suggestions that I've had.

The exception, of course, is you. You like to make out that you know it all. You don't. Take your sexism and shove it where the sun don't shine.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

The exception, of course, is you. You like to make out that you know it all. You don't. Take your sexism and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Wrong.

Read your last sentence on your first post again. Then please apologise. 

You'd get the same response regardless of your gender. As most people on this forum will attest. 

You've asked for opinions. If you only wanted people to agree with you, why ask for opinions?

Edited by TimR

My approach to playing is always to keep the gear as simple as possible.

The more gadgets you use to fix a problem, the longer the set up, the more messing around, the more potential for things to go wrong and the less likely the solution is to work as expected. 

Lots of bass players here just with a bass, an amp and a tuner. For good reason. 

Edited by TimR

Just now, TimR said:

My approach to playing is always to keep the gear as simple as possible.

The more gadgets you use to fix a problem, the longer the set up, the more messing around, the more potential for things to go wrong and the less likely the solution is to work as expected. 

Lots of bass players here just with a bass, an amp and a tuner. For good reason. 

And quite a lot suffering from tinnitus or worse (is that possible..?). -_-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

And quite a lot suffering from tinnitus or worse (is that possible..?). -_-

Well I also have plugs but I don't sing. 

Just pointing out that many of us have gone along the path of amassing tons of gear and then just getting rid of it all.

Maybe swap out the vocal mic for a hypercardiod one, as seems that standing next to a heavy hitting drummer isn't going to help getting the vocals separate. Or maybe stand away from the drums or as I said at least look at how the mic is placed and directioned. 

Thought I was giving helpful advice. 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, TimR said:

Thought I was giving helpful advice. 🤷‍♂️

By referring to Mumsnet...?  I can't work that one out. 

BTW I came close to locking the thread but I'll hold off in the hope things get back on track.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 16/05/2022 at 19:45, lozkerr said:

We used an XR18 at our previous gig and I agree - it's a great piece of gear. Unfortunately, clumsy fingers out front messed with the mix and the wi-fi then threw a strop, which meant I couldn't use my tablet app to fix it 🙄

The internal wifi always causes a strop, especially if anyone in the audience happens to have a phone!

But with an external router (I use one of those mini usb powered 5gHz routers*) they are hard to beat.

* I used to use one of those mini usb powered 2.4GHz routers, but then I got an XVive IEM, and the two do not like each other at all!

27 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The internal wifi always causes a strop, especially if anyone in the audience happens to have a phone!

But with an external router (I use one of those mini usb powered 5gHz routers*) they are hard to beat.

* I used to use one of those mini usb powered 2.4GHz routers, but then I got an XVive IEM, and the two do not like each other at all!

Good tip, thanks! The XR18 belongs to one of our guitarists, so I'll pass that along 👍 What make of router do you use?

1 hour ago, lozkerr said:

Good tip, thanks! The XR18 belongs to one of our guitarists, so I'll pass that along 👍 What make of router do you use?

one of these:

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/tplink-tlwr902ac-wifi-cable-and-fibre-router-ac-750-dualband-10173672.html

weighs nothing, you can tape it to the side of the xr18, takes little power and is solid. 
I actually have 2 as I also run an X-Touch which is the mechanical slider interface for the X-Airs

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

one of these:

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/tplink-tlwr902ac-wifi-cable-and-fibre-router-ac-750-dualband-10173672.html

weighs nothing, you can tape it to the side of the xr18, takes little power and is solid. 
I actually have 2 as I also run an X-Touch which is the mechanical slider interface for the X-Airs

Thanks! I'll pass that on 👍

36 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

one of these:

The X-Touch is a really good add-on for the X-Air, I wish Allen & Heath would do a similar thing for the QU-SB. 

7 hours ago, Kiwi said:

By referring to Mumsnet...?  I can't work that one out. 

BTW I came close to locking the thread but I'll hold off in the hope things get back on track.

I was replying to Stub's comment. Which people appear to have found funny? Go figure. 🤷‍♂️

15 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

The X-Touch is a really good add-on for the X-Air, I wish Allen & Heath would do a similar thing for the QU-SB. 

The X-Touch is not tied to the X-Air, it does makie protocol and a few others so I am sure it could be made to work well with other things.

It has been great for gigging though - it is exactly the same footprint as the ABM600 amp to sit on top of it, and rather than trying to jab at the iPad screen when you are playing, just changing a slider is so much more accessible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimR said:

I was replying to Stub's comment. Which people appear to have found funny? Go figure. 🤷‍♂️

at some point it's wise to stop digging and move along...

edit: I mean it in the nicest way I can

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

You should be able to achieve this through A&Hs Midi Control app, which will allow you to send MIDI control changes to the QU via a MIDI controller surface. Not tried it myself - but on first glance, it certainly looks doable.