Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton JB-75 brought used, neck is screwed, what are my options for a cheap replacement neck?

shoulderpet

So I brought a Harley Benton JB-75 on the dubious Facebook marketplace, the bass all looked ok till I got it home tonight.  After replacing the crusty looking strings that the bass came with I went to loosen the truss rod and found that the truss rod key was spinning freely so it seems I have a rounded out truss rod :( 

I have messaged the seller tonight but to be honest my gut tells me this is not going to end favourably,  so... Anyone know what my options are for a cheap replacement neck? thank you

Edited by shoulderpet

Thanks for the replies, I have just out of interest tried adjusting it the other way (tightening) and it seems to tighten and then I can loosen it back to where it was but no further and when I reach the limit of where it can be loosened the truss rod key just seems to turn freely without any resistance, is this normal ? I am confused about whether this is normal or whether I got a bass with a duff truss rod

Edited by shoulderpet

And solved, after some googling and looking on forums I found out it uses a double action truss rod and there is a place in the adjustment where there is virtually no counter tension and it will feel like the truss rod is not doing anything, turn it past this point and it starts to grip again and adjust

• Like 3

Ok, so is all good now apart from I seem to have a high fret either the 1st fret or the 2nd as there is some nasty fret buzz on the 1st fret on the G string, I have raised the action to compensate for the time being but I will get someone to take a look at the end of the month once I can afford to