Why become a member? ×

Orange terror bass 500 mk1

KinkMaster

Hi guys, I'm in the process of buying amp and cab (second stuff for rehearsal room),I sold the old stuff, gk backline 600 and 4x10,and I want to buy something with 2x10 preferably, the competitors are Markbass little mark black line and Markbass traveler 102p 4 ohms (all new), or terror bass MK1 used and Harley Benton solidbass 210t (new) and the question is, is the MK1 safe on the 210t?  the MK1 provides the 500w in 4 and 8 ohms, I run the risk of burning the cab!!!!

Hello KinkMaster, there is another thread on here that has essentially turned into this discussion. I contacted Orange tech support because I also believed the TerrorBass Mk1 delivered 500W into 8 Ohms and 4 Ohms but according to them it is not the case, it will put 250W into an 8 Ohm cab. This is simplifying the situation somewhat and Bill Maurice's explanations/comments are very helpful as usual.

The explanation from Orange:

Hi Darren,

The impedance switch works more like a limit switch.

The switch is connected to a limiter circuit. When 4 ohms is selected it bypasses an additional resistor, when in 8 ohms the circuit engages this additional 2.2k resistor.

This is to get the most out of your signal when matching impedance.

I don’t believe there to be any difference in this circuit from MK1 and MK2

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,

Joe

9 hours ago, PigBass said:

Hello KinkMaster, there is another thread on here that has essentially turned into this discussion. I contacted Orange tech support because I also believed the TerrorBass Mk1 delivered 500W into 8 Ohms and 4 Ohms but according to them it is not the case, it will put 250W into an 8 Ohm cab. This is simplifying the situation somewhat and Bill Maurice's explanations/comments are very helpful as usual.

The explanation from Orange:

Hi Darren,

The impedance switch works more like a limit switch.

The switch is connected to a limiter circuit. When 4 ohms is selected it bypasses an additional resistor, when in 8 ohms the circuit engages this additional 2.2k resistor.

This is to get the most out of your signal when matching impedance.

I don’t believe there to be any difference in this circuit from MK1 and MK2

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,

Joe

I believe you, but in that case orange scrub up !!!!!! Please read the following in the user manual TB 500/1000(500MK1)

Screenshot_2022-05-05-04-31-07-089_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Thanks for that KinkMaster, I was sure I'd read that somewhere when I originally bought my Terror Bass 500 Mk1 but just couldn't find it again so assumed I had dreamt it 😄. When I originally searched on the Orange support site this is what I found:

1. SPEAKER OUTPUTS Refer to ‘Before Using Your Amplifier’. Make sure the correct speaker load and power handling is connected or that the DI is connected!
Total minimum impedance = 4Ω (Ohms). Speaker outputs are wired in parallel (Speakon connector only).
Full output power = 500 Watts @ 4Ω (Ohms).

2. SPEAKER IMPEDANCE SWITCHMake sure this switch matches your speakers impedance.

So no reference to max power at 8 Ohms, but I searched again just now and found the manual version you referred to. I also found the circuit diagrams on line and the 4/8 Ohm switch does seem to add a 30K (not 2.2K as Joe says) resistor but I am certainly not clever enough to fully understand the diagram. 

All in all I am still confused as to the real answer, as are Orange apparently.

Darren.

5 hours ago, PigBass said:

Thanks for that KinkMaster, I was sure I'd read that somewhere when I originally bought my Terror Bass 500 Mk1 but just couldn't find it again so assumed I had dreamt it 😄. When I originally searched on the Orange support site this is what I found:

1. SPEAKER OUTPUTS Refer to ‘Before Using Your Amplifier’. Make sure the correct speaker load and power handling is connected or that the DI is connected!
Total minimum impedance = 4Ω (Ohms). Speaker outputs are wired in parallel (Speakon connector only).
Full output power = 500 Watts @ 4Ω (Ohms).

2. SPEAKER IMPEDANCE SWITCHMake sure this switch matches your speakers impedance.

So no reference to max power at 8 Ohms, but I searched again just now and found the manual version you referred to. I also found the circuit diagrams on line and the 4/8 Ohm switch does seem to add a 30K (not 2.2K as Joe says) resistor but I am certainly not clever enough to fully understand the diagram. 

All in all I am still confused as to the real answer, as are Orange apparently.

Darren.

Yes, a lot of confusion!!!!! To my Best understanding, the resistor will "trick" the amp to drop the "overall impedance" letting you extract the maximum power!!!! The magical question is, with the toggle in 4ohms(no resistor) and a 8ohms load, will it drop the power ?? That's the point for not burning the 250w cab!!!!

• Like 1

It's a bit odd really. Bass Gear mag reviewed the Mk 1 TB500, and very favourably, back in 2011. They bench tested the amp as part of the review and their analysis was that the TB was capable of 500w into 8 ohms. I wonder how that conclusion was reached. Perhaps someone with techy knowledge can throw some light.

Here is the review:

http://epublish.panaprint.com/publication/?i=76122&p=70

• Like 1