Why become a member? ×

Kate Bush 1979

On 05/05/2022 at 11:48, Eldon Tyrell said:

Thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed the trip to 79. Speaking of 79, here is another short film from that same year. It also features an artist (actor in this case), some music (late disco) and cool dancing (over 40s this time though). Sorry for slightly hijacking this thread but I just could not resist. Enjoy! 😎 

I’ve lived in Birmingham for most of my life and have never seen it like that.

Not exactly Saturday night fever quality 😂🤣

98817FBF-7619-4D7E-9427-BA166F820476.thumb.jpeg.4984d7c0171332626f0663a5594cb6f3.jpeg

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, mikel said:

Funny how peoples perspectives differ. Mark Radcliff interviewed her when she had been off the radar for ages. Its in his book Thank you for the Days. He said he was surprised at how ordinary she was, no airs and graces and even cooked him lunch. There was no "Get your people to arrange things with my people" type of thing. He spoke with her on the phone and arranged to meet at her house. Rang on the bell and she let him in, then apologised for only having a quiche from the freezer. Nothing was off the agenda and no publicist or management present.

I did kind of have that in mind when I posted my first response. It's a good book that. I think I might give it another read.

IMG_1761.png.f82ac181fb92d0cdd246817a4773b7fd.png

• Like 1

Kate Bush is a genius. She was so original and had some fantastic musicians play behind her she pioneered a lot of experimenting in the studio mixing odd ethnic instruments And was one of the earliest people to use the Fairlight in her music.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Bunion said:

I’ve lived in Birmingham for most of my life and have never seen it like that.

Not exactly Saturday night fever quality 😂🤣

98817FBF-7619-4D7E-9427-BA166F820476.thumb.jpeg.4984d7c0171332626f0663a5594cb6f3.jpeg

This was one of several so-called "Quota Quickies". Back in the day, "the Quota Quickies were shown in cinemas before the main feature because of a law which meant that cinemas had to show a British film for every American film."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/tellysavalas.shtml 

Telly Savalas also narrated short films for Portsmouth and Aberdeen. BTW, he did his voice over from a studio in London, so, surprise, surprise, did not actually visit any of the cities he raved about.  

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

'Can you remember the first time you sang in public..?'

'Yeah - that was about two years ago in a pub...'

That's got to be the dictionary definition of a meteoric rise, especially when you consider she was (and is) pretty much unique.

Agreed. And If you consider she wrote Wuthering Heights and a few others off the first album when she was 17. A prodigy would be my take on Kate.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

think a certain Mr Gilmore also assisted with the up and coming Kate and her first album...

He paid for it then talked the record company to use a producer they didn’t like 

27 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

The lead guitar on the outro of Wuthering Heights is one of my all time fave pieces of musicianship.

Her catalogue contains one of my favourite performances,  too.

The song itself even polarises my own opinion; 

The lyrics are quite clever in their use of metaphor.

The bassline and bass playing are superlative. 

And yet the song as a whole is perhaps somehow less than the sum of its parts.

Babooshka.

• Like 1

On 08/05/2022 at 11:58, Bunion said:

Never meet your hero’s

I met a certain founding member of a well known Space Rock band not too long ago and wish I hadn’t!

To the OP, thanks so much for sharing, loved it. Always loved Kate Bush, such moving and unique music, and I fancied her like mad when I was a teenager!

Loved that brief window back in time to my late teens, old cars etc!

• Like 1

So I saw the KT Bush band at the Rose of Lee (music pub in s.London) in 1979. Might even have been her first gig…. I remember thinking it was more theatre than anything else, don’t remember there being an actual stage, she kind of floated into the audience (maybe 200 of us?) good gig - stayed to the end! We all knew it was something special…..

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Grewster said:

So I saw the KT Bush band at the Rose of Lee (music pub in s.London) in 1979. Might even have been her first gig…. I remember thinking it was more theatre than anything else, don’t remember there being an actual stage, she kind of floated into the audience (maybe 200 of us?) good gig - stayed to the end! We all knew it was something special…..

I doubt that would have been 1979.

I think it was her brother Paddy that had a penchant for exotic instruments.

Wuthering was recorded at Air Studios under Dave Gilmour's wing in '77

I always thought she was an incredibly clever writer and the fact that she was a late teen when she wrote Wuthering. But because Wuthering was the first single anyone had heard from her, it wasn't known at that time, that she had written The Man With A Child In His Eyes when she was 13. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There's a tribute band called Cloudbusting, and features Kate Bush ex bassister and ex partner,  Del Plamer.  Palmer played bass on many tracks on 2nd album Lionheart and subsequent albums. He wasnt on the first , The Kick Inside

His bass line on Kashka From Baghdad is stunning on the original, which he stated he should have used a fretless, as it was a track that was perfect for one.

So here he is with Cloudbusting and superb vocalist Mandy Watson. Del on a Zon, by the look of it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ-9TWI-UAk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

There's a tribute band called Cloudbusting, and features Kate Bush ex bassister and ex partner,  Del Plamer.  Palmer played bass on many tracks on 2nd album Lionheart and subsequent albums. He wasnt on the first , The Kick Inside

His bass line on Kashka From Baghdad is stunning on the original, which he stated he should have used a fretless, as it was a track that was perfect for one.

So here he is with Cloudbusting and superb vocalist Mandy Watson. Del on a Zon, by the look of it. 

That was excellent, many thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

Some of my chums are in that band, but not in that video (BVs, keys, drums).

• Like 1