Why become a member? ×

Kate Bush 1979

1 hour ago, MacDaddy said:

IIRC she didn't play anything from her first few albums the last time she gigged?

I have the live album and an audience recording bootleg from the first night of the residency.  I'd honestly say the bootleg edges it from an excitement perspective.

Started watching it, but I'd forgotten what an unbelievably irritating speaking voice she has. 

Dreadfully shallow of me, I agree, but it was like listening to nails on a blackboard for three straight minutes before I switched off. 🙄

Thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed the trip to 79. Speaking of 79, here is another short film from that same year. It also features an artist (actor in this case), some music (late disco) and cool dancing (over 40s this time though). Sorry for slightly hijacking this thread but I just could not resist. Enjoy! 😎 

• Haha 1

I saw Kate Bush on TOTP singing Wuthering, as her first single, and that was that.  I bought her first 2 albums, and was blown away by just how intricate her song writing was. Plus that unique voice ( marmite ) and the talented musicians playing on those albums.  But, those first 2 albums is where it ended for me, because i didnt like anything she wrote after The Kick Inside and Lionheart.

Having said that,  re. Kate Bush the woman, she could have the top off my egg any day, from the day i first saw on her TOTP,... bad voice, diva , foul, whatever. I dont care.  :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, fleabag said:

I saw Kate Bush on TOTP singing Wuthering, as her first single, and that was that.  I bought her first 2 albums, and was blown away by just how intricate her song writing was. Plus that unique voice ( marmite ) and the talented musicians playing on those albums.  But, those first 2 albums is where it ended for me, because i didnt like anything she wrote after The Kick Inside and Lionheart.

Having said that,  re. Kate Bush the woman, she could have the top off my egg any day, from the day i first saw on her TOTP,... bad voice, diva , foul, whatever. I dont care.  :)

As with most music, Kate Bush totally passed me by at the time. I somehow got my hands on a greatest hits album round about 2000, and it totally blew me away. There's not many artists I would consider to be truly unique. I'd never heard anything like it. 

• Like 4

On 05/05/2022 at 10:21, T-Bay said:

I loved her music but came across her briefly in real life and she was foul, proper diva.

I don’t know, is she renowned as being such? Could she have been having a bad week?

I’ve crossed paths with a few celebs in my musical travels and there are a few that stand out as behaving like complete tools. Two in particular stand out but I’ve not read or heard a bad word about them anywhere else, so maybe my experience was exceptional? Unless we really know these people, how can we tell?

I’d like to think Kate is actually a nice person, but sometimes those with an abundance of talent don’t handle it well all of the time, especially in the company of fools.

I’ll stop rambling. I enjoyed the OP though. Thanks again for sharing.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I don’t know, is she renowned as being such? Could she have been having a bad week?

I’ve crossed paths with a few celebs in my musical travels and there are a few that stand out as behaving like complete tools. Two in particular stand out but I’ve not read or heard a bad word about them anywhere else, so maybe my experience was exceptional? Unless we really know these people, how can we tell?

I’d like to think Kate is actually a nice person, but sometimes those with an abundance of talent don’t handle it well all of the time, especially in the company of fools.

I’ll stop rambling. I enjoyed the OP though. Thanks again for sharing.

I have heard other stuff as well that seems to agree with the experience I had. Even on a bad day on a bad week basic manners cost nothing and the assumption that being famous makes you important can FRO. The people she was abusive about were a group of Biochemists, myself included, whose only crime was to be in front of her.

I think there was also a bit of a stink a few years back over some questionable comments on a radio program as well (a bit far right iirc) but I didn’t hear it personally.

On 05/05/2022 at 10:21, T-Bay said:

I loved her music but came across her briefly in real life and she was foul, proper diva.

Funny how peoples perspectives differ. Mark Radcliff interviewed her when she had been off the radar for ages. Its in his book Thank you for the Days. He said he was surprised at how ordinary she was, no airs and graces and even cooked him lunch. There was no "Get your people to arrange things with my people" type of thing. He spoke with her on the phone and arranged to meet at her house. Rang on the bell and she let him in, then apologised for only having a quiche from the freezer. Nothing was off the agenda and no publicist or management present.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, mikel said:

Funny how peoples perspectives differ. Mark Radcliff interviewed her when she had been off the radar for ages. Its in his book Thank you for the Days. He said he was surprised at how ordinary she was, no airs and graces and even cooked him lunch. There was no "Get your people to arrange things with my people" type of thing. He spoke with her on the phone and arranged to meet at her house. Rang on the bell and she let him in, then apologised for only having a quiche from the freezer. Nothing was off the agenda and no publicist or management present.

That isn’t an interaction with a member of the public though, it’s a pre planned PR interaction and, look at how many politicians stage similar things to show how ‘human’ they are. I can only speak from personal experience, and she was foul to people she didn’t know, with no reason, nothing occurred before hand which could have caused it and from the reaction of others around her they didn’t seem surprised. It may be the only time it’s ever happened (I doubt it), but I can only speak as I find, I won’t defend someone/ ignore the situation because I liked their music. At the time we were all who the F this muppet causing all the fuss was. I was more than a little surprised when I realised who it was.