Why become a member? ×

Is your favourite at home bass the same as your favourite gigging bass?

fretmeister

2 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

Okay..thanks! I love using my fretless in a jazz setting. Am currently playing in an old guy rock band, but really want to use it there as well.....looking for an excuse, I guess

Ah you have to do it, as long as you don't try and sound like Jaco in the old guy rock band then it will be fine. Especially in a rock band situation, a lot of people probably won't notice its fretless. When I used my fretless Jazz in the 50's Rock N Roll band, nobody really noticed as most of that stuff is walking bass lines but stuff like Stand By Me or My Girl actually really enhanced it with a bit of the fretless tone. I'd say do it, it will probably be great to be fair.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At home, all my basses get playing time. For live gigs I like to use one bass for the whole set. As we play various types of music (all within the rock/pop genre), some variation in sound is needed.

Our last gig I took my Ibanez Black eagle, fitted with La Bella flats. It sounded great all gig long with both pickups active, and did a decent P-like sound too with the neck pickup solood. 

Edited by SurroundedByManatees
  • Like 1

If I had a plan the P bass would be used at home, because it's passive and I'd save the batteries in my active Jazz for the gigs.

What actually happens, I'll use which ever one comes out of the nearest gig bag.

At home I play by Sandberg California VS because its getting a bit old now (12 years) and has a few dings and scrapes so I'm not to fussed if it gets another scratch or 2 but it sounds and plays great. Gigging I use my fender P bass (for acoustic and jazz gigs) and by Sandberg Basic for rock gigs because it has a great stingray-like punchy tone to it, I always bring the Sandy VS to gigs as a backup.

My favourite home base varies. The Jack Casady is great for a quick noodle when I can't be bothered amping up. My fretless is great because I've had it for twenty years so it's the most natural to play, but my band doesn't really fit for fretless playing. My number 1 love bass is my Stingray, the massive ballsy sound is what I need and what my band want, but I'm very protective of that bass and often can't be bothered getting it out the case to play at home when there are others waiting around to be played.

At home? Whatever's out (I rotate them)

Rehearsal? Whatever's most appropriate to what we're rehearsing.

Writing? Something that inspires me and is light and comfortable when I'm seated- Ibanez EDA900 all the way. 

Studio? Frequently the Vigier. Records well.

Live? I'd use the SB-2 Tribute or my S/H Warwick Fortress MasterMan 5 "beater".

I only have 2 basses and only gig in covers bands now, so just play whatever I feel like.  Saying that, as I’ve got older, I’ve preferred to gig with my 4 string and practice at home with my 5 string, as it is more comfortable to play for a couple of hours.