Why become a member? ×

Is there a compact lightweight power amp?

prowla

I'm looking for a power amp, but I don't want a great big lump of a thing.

I've run my Ampeg preamp into the effects return of a Markbass 250 and it sounded fine (for a bit more power I'll try it into my 500W Markbass next time I have a go).

Are there any compact, lightweight, gig-worthy power amps available?

(I suppose if I get to playing stadiums, I might want something a bit more hefty, but then again (a) that's unlikely and (b) it'd all be going via the PA anyway.)

I was looking at the Demeter 800D a while back; I bought a Darkglass A/O 900w head which I don't really get along with (it's just a bit too aggressive tonally - still up for sale folks), so I just use the effects return for a GED/Dug DI boxes).

The Demeter looked ideal; I had one lines up and honestly thought the DG head would sell in minutes!

The Quilter Bass Block started out as a design request by forum on Talkbass for a power amp that you could plug pedals into and DI out as well as power your FRFR cab. Eventually it became all of that but also possible to plug your bass in direct if you can deal with an extremely basic EQ. Then they gave it a little more EQ in the new model. There's no economy in producing a simple power bloc when it's so close to a real amp.

Still cheap for a 800w bass amp / power amp. Pretty compact too, about what a 800w Trace Elliot full fat Elf should have been if Peavey had been listening.

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I was looking at the Demeter 800D a while back; I bought a Darkglass A/O 900w head which I don't really get along with (it's just a bit too aggressive tonally - still up for sale folks), so I just use the effects return for a GED/Dug DI boxes).

The Demeter looked ideal; I had one lines up and honestly thought the DG head would sell in minutes!

The Demeter is a bit pricey.

(I agree about the Darkglass - I know I'm supposed to like them, but they don't float my boat.)

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

The Quilter Bass Block started out as a design request by forum on Talkbass for a power amp that you could plug pedals into and DI out as well as power your FRFR cab. Eventually it became all of that but also possible to plug your bass in direct if you can deal with an extremely basic EQ. Then they gave it a little more EQ in the new model. There's no economy in producing a simple power bloc when it's so close to a real amp.

Still cheap for a 800w bass amp / power amp. Pretty compact too, about what a 800w Trace Elliot full fat Elf should have been if Peavey had been listening.

I'm not sure I "get" the Quilter; I might as well just plug into the effects return of my Markbass.

On 04/05/2022 at 12:31, three said:

A lot of people seem to be using (and enjoying) GSS Sumo and Baby Sumo amps - there's a link here:

https://www.guitarsoundsystems.com/gss-baby-sumo-ampxlite-bass-guitar-power-amp-c2x21844846 

I had a Baby Sumo for a while - be aware you will probably need a hefty preamp before it to get the level up to anything useable. 

I had a preamp on my pedalboard which worked fine with a 'normal' amp (even straight into the effects return) but it didn't come anywhere near the level required to properly drive the Baby Sumo. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

By definition, if it has a pre-stage or EQ, it's not strictly a poweramp.  

I'm aware (and also an EE). So go in the FX return (like the OP did on post 1) or leave the controls flat and the comp to minimum and connect conventionally. Still the cheapest 500/8 or 800/4 you're going to get in a compact package with a known amp module.

Edited by crazycloud

3 hours ago, prowla said:

I'm not sure I "get" the Quilter; I might as well just plug into the effects return of my Markbass.

And there is your answer. Any power amp which is compact enought to move around as you want will be doing the same as the power section in your MB. A Crest CA9 would be a whole different kettle of fish. But it would be a very different transport experience. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazycloud said:

I'm aware (and also an EE). So go in the FX return (like the OP did on post 1) or leave the controls flat and the comp to minimum and connect conventionally. Still the cheapest 500/8 or 800/4 you're going to get in a compact package with a known amp module.

Though it's interesting in the conversation wider sense, an integrated isn't what I'm after; an overall volume is pretty much all the knobbage required.

46 minutes ago, Owen said:

And there is your answer. Any power amp which is compact enought to move around as you want will be doing the same as the power section in your MB. A Crest CA9 would be a whole different kettle of fish. But it would be a very different transport experience. 

Yep - there are some compact ones; I just don't want to have to use a trolley to shift the stuff about.

3 hours ago, Jakester said:

I had a Baby Sumo for a while - be aware you will probably need a hefty preamp before it to get the level up to anything useable. 

I had a preamp on my pedalboard which worked fine with a 'normal' amp (even straight into the effects return) but it didn't come anywhere near the level required to properly drive the Baby Sumo. 

I do have and EBS pedal preamp, but my application for this is an Ampeg.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/05/2022 at 10:58, EmpInfNed said:

I'm considering the Baby Sumo:

https://www.guitarsoundsystems.com/gss-baby-sumo-ampxlite-bass-guitar-power-amp-c2x21844846

Is it fanless? I'd like to know how much the hardware is silet or not when it is turned on.

Also, I'd ike to know (if anyonw knows it) if Tech21 preamp level could be good to properly drive the Baby Sumo.

Thank you

It is fanless, I have one, nice and quiet for home use. Mesa d800+ preamp di seems to drive it ok. There are 1k and 1.2k versions also available now

On 24/05/2022 at 22:41, MOSCOWBASS said:

It is fanless, I have one, nice and quiet for home use. Mesa d800+ preamp di seems to drive it ok. There are 1k and 1.2k versions also available now

In that enclosure I would be skeptical that you could get full power without active cooling via fans.

On 05/05/2022 at 12:24, Owen said:

The Quilter has 'direct input' to power amp [bypasses preamp completely] the Markbass FX Return still runs signal through Markbass preamp and EQ. [Parallel EFX loop] also even if you switch jumpers inside amp to series loop signal still runs through EQ as told by some who have tried. 

Easy to test plug BASS into Pedal/preamp then into FX Return play and turn any EQ knob on Markbass or any other Amp Head if it effects signal it is not direct to Amp.

PS; Quilter is excellent amp on its own and a good choice and value for purpose of using external Preamps as is Gr Bass Pure Amps BUT GR has pure switch on Amp heads for similar money

Edited by Nebadon2000

• 3 weeks later...

Well; whilst waiting for the power amp to arrive from China (it was last tracked in Khazakhstan), I went for a day out and happened across one in a shop.

Here it is in rack.

226810853_rack-bassprepower-220618ab.thumb.jpg.9016fb49d1db35c60753927e977e4621.jpg

Have yet to connectand swich one...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...