Why become a member? ×

SVP 11

Steve Soar

I've had both - the SVP II is a wonderful preamp, but it won't do dirt. The SVP PRO definitely WILL do filth.

Both have the ultra low/high and bass, mid(s) and treble controls with line and DI outs, and the switchable graphic equaliser channel, but the SVP PROs have always been a bit noisy on the preamp outputs, whereas the SVP II was lovely and quiet.

• Like 1

Yeah, 

On 04/05/2022 at 08:55, Steve Soar said:

SVT Preamp with grafic eq. 

3 valves, basically the front end of an SVT without the power section. 

On 04/05/2022 at 15:34, paul_5 said:

I've had both - the SVP II is a wonderful preamp, but it won't do dirt. The SVP PRO definitely WILL do filth.

Both have the ultra low/high and bass, mid(s) and treble controls with line and DI outs, and the switchable graphic equaliser channel, but the SVP PROs have always been a bit noisy on the preamp outputs, whereas the SVP II was lovely and quiet.

Yep, I've had an SVT-IIP and I have an SVP Pro. 

The difference is as paul_5 says. Though my SVP Pro is relatively quiet if the EQ is used diligently. 

I believe the SVT-IIP is the preamp from the SVT-II. Essentially, they split into a pre/valve power amp combination and the SVP Pro is the pre-amp from the SVT-III. This is why the SVT-IIP is so clean and simple, it's designed to be pushed into 300W valve power amp to make an SVT II. The SVP is has more tone shaping and dirt as it's designed to go into the solid state section of the SVT-III with no power amp clipping or distortion.  

There are a couple of other variants too. There's an SVPCL preamp (I'm not sure if this has 3 valves) and there's a Billy Sheehan one that's twin channel, SVT-BSP. 

Yeah, it is a good un. Very clean. 

One thing I will say about them though, same for all these Ampeg 1u pres. The power transformers are a bit dodgy. The way they're mounted means any shocks or drops can cause a short in them which can end up with the things outputting mains into anything it's plugged into. Both of mine had the same problem, the SVT-IIP killed an expensive power amp. I've had the one in my SVP Pro rewound and mounted differently to avoid it. It's just a bad design.  

So beware of any pops and crackles you hear when you're not adjusting EQ. That's a tell tale.