Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Neck Finishes

dmc79

Just a quick one. Recently sold a red 2004 USA Series P with a lovely satin neck. Fancied a change of colour & some upgrades, and having wanted a black P for sometime I got a 2008 USA P with CS62 pickups & KioGon wiring loom fitted by Lozz (thanks!) of this parish. Hi mass vintage bridge & lightweight tuners were improvements over what I had. It’s a great bass and sounds great which is the main thing. I do miss the satin neck finish of my older Bass though. 

I ran both basses through Fender’s serial number check and bizarrely the 2008 doesn’t show the neck finish, but does show ‘Neck shape: Modern C’ twice on consecutive rows. I guess this was a mistake and they should have shown neck finish on one of those rows. The 2004 does state ‘Neck finish: Satin urethane’. 

Have all USA P basses come with gloss necks from 2008 onwards? Are there satin options amongst the 2013-16 models? I love this bass but not sure I can get used to the gloss neck. 

Tempted to get an American Special to go back to a satin neck (also slimmer neck, and lighter, slimmer body) to use as a mod platform. I figure the neck is pretty important so I could upgrade bridge, pickups, tone circuitry (if needed), tuners etc on an American Special to get it near to the level of a USA standard, just without the rolled fretboard edges (I am guessing the American Specials didn’t have those, can anyone confirm?). Also those models are hard to come by anyway. I have a wanted ad out for one so will just have to play the waiting game. 

I am a one bass man, but I love the thought of a slimmer P satin neck, and a bit less weight overall. Mine comes in at 4.2 Kg / 9.2 lbs, and I believe the 2013-16 models are lighter (but still have gloss necks?) 

Thanks 

Edited by dmc79

4 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

US Standards of 2013-16 are gloss. Def worth trying imo, as this range for me are the best Fender have put out.

Thanks. May do if one ever comes up on here. I know the 2013-16 are lighter. Otherwise is there any difference at all from the 2008-12 models apart from having CS62s as stock? Do the necks feel exactly the same?

Edited by dmc79

4 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

0000 Wire Wool or 3000 Grit... 'n go steady.

I’ve read that this is an option. I’d be terrified doing anything like that, I’d have to take it to a guitar pro for something like that. Would de-glossing affect resale value if I ever move it on?

8 minutes ago, spyder said:

How about an Ashdown Arc. Mine has an amazing oiled neck. Much better than a gloss neck IMHO.

I’ll take a look but prefer to stick with Fender

17 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

0000 Wire Wool or 3000 Grit... 'n go steady.

10 minutes ago, dmc79 said:

I’ve read that this is an option. I’d be terrified doing anything like that, I’d have to take it to a guitar pro for something like that. Would de-glossing affect resale value if I ever move it on?

If the neck is a poly finish, the gloss will restore easily with T-Cut.

I'd suggest something like a plastic scouring pad to get the satin finish - less chance of stray bits of wire wool ending up in your pickups/electronics...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dmc79 said:

Thanks. May do if one ever comes up on here. I know the 2013-16 are lighter. Otherwise is there any difference at all from the 2008-12 models apart from having CS62s as stock? Do the necks feel exactly the same?

I find the necks on the 13-16 to be deeper, the 08-12s flatter feeling. 

• Like 1

Scotchbrite Pad...

Loads on Youtube...

For naptha, use lighter fluid a couple of quid...

Find a cheap bit of lacquered or varnished furniture out a charity shop and feel and see how the pad works as a test.

Mask the neck heel and headstock tapper and along the fretboard edges...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Scotchbrite Pad...

Loads on Youtube...

For naptha, use lighter fluid a couple of quid...

Find a cheap bit of lacquered or varnished furniture out a charity shop and feel and see how the pad works as a test.

Mask the neck heel and headstock tapper and along the fretboard edges...

thanks for this. i struggle with gloss necks. will give this a try 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice everyone. I may try the scouring pad / wire wool thing on the back of the neck, or get a guitar pro to do it. The vid states that you don’t need to oil it after unless you’ve taken it down to the bare wood. So if I don’t want it down to bare wood is it just the Scotchbrite pad, or do I still do the wire wool thing? 

When I said about getting used to the gloss finish, I meant on the fretboard itself too, not just the back of the neck. I guess I’ll adjust to it in time. It’s a killer bass though. 

Done a few necks using 0000 wire wool nice and easy does it, it'll take the grabby feel away no problem. I finished them with a coat of beeswax easy to apply & a rub with a clean dry cloth to finish it. Watch your pickups using the wool as the poles will attract it.

• Like 2