Why become a member? ×

T. Rex - 1972 (new release)

In a continuing series, I'm listening to the new T. Rex collection '1972'.  Being brutally honest, Electric Warrior aside, I find the band's output fairly inconsistent and I'm drawn more to the singles rather than the albums.  I'm listening to '1972' which is essentially The Slider album, the previously released matinee show from Wembley, the Born To Boogie soundtrack in full and about 40 radio shows, demos and outtakes.

It rocks along nicely, however the Wembley show is a new mix and Mickey Finn's bongos are quite prominent in the left channel.  You honestly have to question why Bolan didn't just dump him - there's no value added from his contribution; it honestly sounds like a monkey sporadically hitting some coconuts - laughably poor, out of tune, out of time.  Proof enough that unless you're 100% on your game, you're adding nothing.  Pity the bongos aren't lower in the mix.

Otherwise, hugely enjoyable.

I'm a big Bolan fan. I watched the live gigs on the born to boogie dvd and he was interesting but not a very accurate solo guitar player in fact sometimes he's just barely hitting the strings. Mickley Finn was just a bit of an eye candy accessory .I think,you have to remember TRex were originally designed to make money off teenage kids rather than be a really serious type of band and they were great at that. Steve Took however was a different kettle of fish on the early stuff and apparently was quite skilled. His later solo stuff wasn't bad either. I know he hung out with Syd barrett and Kevin Ayers aswell and played on their stuff. Just a shame the lifestyle got him really. Bolans song writing was unique and wonderful to me but he's a sort of love him or hate him type of musician I think.

• Like 1

IMO there's always a good reason why demos and out-takes weren't released at the time, and in most cases it's best that they stay that way. Radio sessions I can make an exception for, but only if they are well-recorded and offer a different perspective on the song to the "official" version. Live versions generally don't fare that well without the accompanying visuals unless they have been subject to the "Thin Lizzy" treatment, however I do have quite a bit of time for good concert footage and in those case I'll forgive less than brilliant sound. Just don't ask me to enjoy the audio with the accompanying video.

4 hours ago, YouMa said:

Bolans song writing was unique and wonderful to me but he's a sort of love him or hate him type of musician I think.

I was 16 at the very end of 1972 so Bolan loomed large in my teenaged life, but even then nobody thought his songwriting was "unique" ... songs like Get It On (which I have played at every Junkard Dogs gig for the past 12 years), Jeepster, Hot Love etc. were barely-disguised re-treads of Chuck Berry riffs. What he was was GLAM and - at the time - that was enough.

It worked for Gary Glitter too, mind ...

6 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

You honestly have to question why Bolan didn't just dump him - there's no value added from his contribution; it honestly sounds like a monkey sporadically hitting some coconuts - laughably poor, out of tune, out of time.  Proof enough that unless you're 100% on your game, you're adding nothing.  Pity the bongos aren't lower in the mix.

I think that the T-Rextacy tribute don't normally have bongos - is that right?

16 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I was 16 at the very end of 1972 so Bolan loomed large in my teenaged life, but even then nobody thought his songwriting was "unique" ... songs like Get It On (which I have played at every Junkard Dogs gig for the past 12 years), Jeepster, Hot Love etc. were barely-disguised re-treads of Chuck Berry riffs. What he was was GLAM and - at the time - that was enough.

It worked for Gary Glitter too, mind ...

By unique writing i was talking about things from the earlier days such as the album Unicorn. Warlord of the royal crocodiles and such.

Bolan was an unfulfilled genius; unfortunately the image-making rather took over from the music, but had he lived who knows what he would have gone onto create.  I’ll always respect him also as an early supporter of punk / new wave.

I really love some of his more offbeat stuff, eg:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, YouMa said:

I'm a big Bolan fan. I watched the live gigs on the born to boogie dvd and he was interesting but not a very accurate solo guitar player in fact sometimes he's just barely hitting the strings. Mickley Finn was just a bit of an eye candy accessory .I think,you have to remember TRex were originally designed to make money off teenage kids rather than be a really serious type of band and they were great at that. Steve Took however was a different kettle of fish on the early stuff and apparently was quite skilled. His later solo stuff wasn't bad either. I know he hung out with Syd barrett and Kevin Ayers aswell and played on their stuff. Just a shame the lifestyle got him really. Bolans song writing was unique and wonderful to me but he's a sort of love him or hate him type of musician I think.

I did a gig about 5 years ago and 'Mickey Finn's T-Rex' were also on the bill.

I believe they're still touring, despite Mr Finn passing away in 2003.

On 03/05/2022 at 15:40, NancyJohnson said:

I find the band's output fairly inconsistent and I'm drawn more to the singles rather than the albums.

Same here! There is some album stuff that I have liked - some songs have grown on me over time - but have always been more of a 'singles' person overall 🙂.

On 03/05/2022 at 15:40, NancyJohnson said:

In a continuing series, I'm listening to the new T. Rex collection '1972'.  Being brutally honest, Electric Warrior aside, I find the band's output fairly inconsistent and I'm drawn more to the singles rather than the albums.  I'm listening to '1972' which is essentially The Slider album, the previously released matinee show from Wembley, the Born To Boogie soundtrack in full and about 40 radio shows, demos and outtakes.

It rocks along nicely, however the Wembley show is a new mix and Mickey Finn's bongos are quite prominent in the left channel.  You honestly have to question why Bolan didn't just dump him - there's no value added from his contribution; it honestly sounds like a monkey sporadically hitting some coconuts - laughably poor, out of tune, out of time.  Proof enough that unless you're 100% on your game, you're adding nothing.  Pity the bongos aren't lower in the mix.

Otherwise, hugely enjoyable.

I never saw the point of Mickey Finn. Then or now.