Why become a member? ×

Why don't the Ibanez Mini series pedals get more love?

Vin Venal

The ones I've got - the CSMINI and ADMINI are great bass pedals, affordable, made in Japan, true bypass, really well built, and small. Plus funky colours - what's not to love?

Based on the iconic CS9 and AD9 chorus and delay  respectively, can't say I've played the originals, but they sound good to me.

I'm thinking about getting the FZMINI - it's based on the old OD850, which was a big muff clone. So a cool tiny orange big muff - surprised more people aren't on that.

Anyone know if any of the others work well on bass (without excessive finagling, like signal splitting)? Bet the phaser would work.

What about the SMMINI - anyone used the big Super Metal on bass? Is it usable with the EQ? I think the mini retains the EQ section. Worth a punt?

Honestly tempted to get them all and build a cool multi-coloured mini-board. 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I'm alone, but whenever I see micro sized pedals I think of cheapo Donner and Joyo units. I think they've flooded the market so much that even with much more established branding like Ibanez I have a hard time seeing them as premium units worth £100+.

My other reason for avoiding them is that I refuse to buy anything with those little plastic shaft mini pots which aren't even secured to the case. Although more and more companies are using them on higher end products, which I think is a joke.

^

Yeah, the Mooer, Joyo, Donner, comparisons put me off the Ibanez a bit.  

Donner chorus (£25), Landlord FX (£30), Stagg Blaxx chorus (£50), Mooer chorus (£50), and Ibanez chorus (£70) all look suspiciously similar (although the Ibanez layout and enclosure is slightly different to those others). I'd like to see a reviewer establish if they are basically the same thing. 

20220512_090243.thumb.jpg.fa40f9eb2f29d21efe481a13b7d4e6ab.jpg

image.png.aa2535348182f85137b496810cbb29b9.pngimage.png.7d41fe46f4cbf26506011301ee2e5a8c.png

Edited by SumOne

The Ibanez mini pedals are all made in Japan (except the mini tuner for some reason).

Those cheap mini pedals are all made in China I reckon.

If you've handled the ibanez pedals, they feel like decent quality. They're half the size of other pedals, but weigh more. The housing, footswitch and big knob all feel very robust. Obviously the two mini knobs feel a bit more delicate, which is a limitation of the design which they no doubt share.

I don't know enough to comment on the circuits, but I'd also bet they are different, because they're all based on classic ibanez pedals from the 80s, and lots of people have said they sound almost identical to the pedals they're referencing. Even to the point where, in the case of the super metal, it suffers the same noise problems as the original.

At the moment I have the analogue delay, the chorus, and the fuzz. The fuzz is unique, and even though you can tell its based on a big muff, it definitely takes some finessing to get sounds that work on bass, but I like the sounds that do. The delay and the chorus are just great bass pedals I'd have no problem recommending to anyone.

I intend to try the phaser, the flanger, and maybe even the tube screamer and the boost (which can be used as a mini eq), and will let you know if/when I do. 🙂

Edited by Vin Venal
  • Thanks 1

I have the ibanez tube screamer mini - it’s on my geetar board between the mosky mini muff (big muff clone) & silver horse (klon clone). It sounds just like a tube screamer should and as I bought it secondhand on ebay it was only a few quid more than a mini clone which would have been the wrong shade of green.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2022 at 08:37, soldersqueeze said:

I think of cheapo Donner and Joyo units

The Joyo Ironman range is incredibly robust, very well designed and sound absolutely superb.

Being (relatively) inexpensive is anything but a negative where they're concerned.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, stewblack said:

The Joyo Ironman range is incredibly robust, very well designed and sound absolutely superb.

Being (relatively) inexpensive is anything but a negative where they're concerned.

Oh I have nothing but love for cheap pedals- my Mosky rat clone and Behringer SF300 are two of my absolute faves. I was just offering my thoughts on why OP might not see many of these mini Ibanez pedals around. Its probably just me though.

• Like 1