Why become a member? ×

Squier Affinity Jaguar H

0175westwood29

Honestly these basses have taken me by surprise with how good they are.

even with the pick-up being very cheap, something about the bass suits me down to the ground! 

just started to upgrade mine now ones more standard the other will be a bit more fun 

Edited by 0175westwood29
  • Like 6

• 0175westwood29 changed the title to Squier Affinity Jaguar H
  • 1 month later...

I acquired one of these basses and was surprised too by the quality of the fit and finish. I’ve just upgraded the bridge to a Fender hi-mass and added an Aguilar AG-4M pickup - both of which I found here on the marketplace. Both upgrades were direct replacements for the stock parts too. This is now a fantastic poor man’s Stingray!

D03B3C04-37C3-4CD2-BC49-97CAB1776D44.thumb.jpeg.ac483f38e9de354a090debde95aaab24.jpeg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, NoirBass said:

I acquired one of these basses and was surprised too by the quality of the fit and finish. I’ve just upgraded the bridge to a Fender hi-mass and added an Aguilar AG-4M pickup - both of which I found here on the marketplace. Both upgrades were direct replacements for the stock parts too. This is now a fantastic poor man’s Stingray!

D03B3C04-37C3-4CD2-BC49-97CAB1776D44.thumb.jpeg.ac483f38e9de354a090debde95aaab24.jpeg

nice those fender bridges should be a standard upgrade that everyone should do!!

i made my own custom pickguard

1764805477_Screenshot2022-06-19at20_12_48.thumb.png.9b31f2d5ca7019a9bfebcbf5e958aa90.png

• Like 3

That Charcoal Frost Metallic looks badass and no mistake. Good to know that the Fender hi-mass bridge is a drop in replacement. That Aguilar Ray type pickup looks great too. 

I keep being drawn to the orange FSR one with matching headstock. I wonder how long these special runs are generally on sale for. I quite fancy trying a medium scale bass, especially at those prices. I would love to see some weights posted from those who own them, also is there any neck dive? Thanks

Edit: Just remembered that @Badscrew quoted exactly 4Kg on the medium scale thread for his. @0175westwood29 @NoirBass are you able to weigh yours please? I have a Squier VM Jaguar short scale which comes in at 7.2lbs / 3.2Kg, but I read that the weight & neck dive on those can vary wildly, so just wonder if there is much variation of weight in these too. Thanks. 

One more question: I see that it's a jazz width nut, but what is the neck thickness like, front to back? Does anyone have Calipers & can measure thickness at 1st fret please? Specs state "Slim and comfortable “C”-shaped neck profile" so I guess it's jazz like in terms of front to back profile, but would love someone to confirm this. Cheers. 

Edited by dmc79

• 2 weeks later...

Got my filthy mitts on a Retrovibe Stinger ‘77 pre amp! After a little surgery, Wow! What a difference - this thing sounds killer, full on MM Stingray. 
Here’s a pic with a very Heath Robinson setup until some routing occurs…

C218DB4D-CB5B-4326-A1C4-375731260D26.thumb.jpeg.aec4480ba137880701091a741d3601ee.jpeg

23 hours ago, NoirBass said:

Got my filthy mitts on a Retrovibe Stinger ‘77 pre amp! After a little surgery, Wow! What a difference - this thing sounds killer, full on MM Stingray. 
Here’s a pic with a very Heath Robinson setup until some routing occurs…

C218DB4D-CB5B-4326-A1C4-375731260D26.thumb.jpeg.aec4480ba137880701091a741d3601ee.jpeg

Looks stock to me, uncanny! ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Right, spent the morning making a routing template, routing the battery cavity, drilling a new pot hole in a new control plate and doing all the soldering.

I located the battery where it is to try a counter balance the neck dive, which has worked to some extent - better but not gone.

It sounds really good and given the money I’ve spent it’s remarkably close to a classic Stingray. It’ll come with me on my next gig. Here are the results, I’m well cuffed.

27EC5105-FB52-465A-94F9-C22EB0E61C69.thumb.jpeg.f56874bd219f2e43588f7276f954a93f.jpeg

BA21A369-35A2-46C1-B59D-8227C1B7A625.thumb.jpeg.8067e4fcb3077ba8003cb7703a58b8d3.jpeg

AA1F3BC4-2050-46BD-B124-84D32A69BE1F.thumb.jpeg.ef675249f423b9ca14facbc8af0fa76a.jpeg366F6691-B7DB-4C40-B7E6-45FEA2FB737C.thumb.jpeg.6984de384b6f540cdc81f3e40a59bf09.jpeg

Edited by NoirBass
  • Like 8

39 minutes ago, naxos10 said:

Thats a really nice job you've done there NoirBass👍

Thanks, it’s my first time attempting any routing so I’m pleased it worked out. I’ve been heavily influenced by the guy at Crimson guitars YouTube channel. So many great tips on there.

Edited by NoirBass

Loving the upgrades here. I have major GAS for one of these especially as I’ve never tried a medium scale bass. Not a bad thing considering how cheap they are. 

The orange one has been driving me crazy, but after seeing the one non stock photo of it on TB, I still like it, but my Squier PJ Candy Apple Red has a nice burnt orange tinge to it anyway, so I think I’m more likely to go for another colour. Would prefer maple over Indian Laurel anyway, which narrows it down to black or blue. 

@0175westwood29 Love your video, some really filthy tones through your board there. Lake Placid Blue with maple neck looks awesome with black plate. Where did you get the black plate, as it comes with white? I prefer black plates on anything. Thanks. Not sure how much longer I can hold off on this bargain bass

Edited by dmc79

9 hours ago, dmc79 said:

Loving the upgrades here. I have major GAS for one of these especially as I’ve never tried a medium scale bass. Not a bad thing considering how cheap they are. 

The orange one has been driving me crazy, but after seeing the one non stock photo of it on TB, I still like it, but my Squier PJ Candy Apple Red has a nice burnt orange tinge to it anyway, so I think I’m more likely to go for another colour. Would prefer maple over Indian Laurel anyway, which narrows it down to black or blue. 

@0175westwood29 Love your video, some really filthy tones through your board there. Lake Placid Blue with maple neck looks awesome with black plate. Where did you get the black plate, as it comes with white? I prefer black plates on anything. Thanks. Not sure how much longer I can hold off on this bargain bass

Hey it’s the one that came on my black bass 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 0175westwood29 said:

It’s super nice in person!! It’s getting the standard new bridge and a bartolini MM might even turn my blue into a HH and put a second stock pickup in it 

Brilliant, I look forward to seeing the results.

5 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Some of the jags in the past were fitted with a Jazz style bell plate (the standard, nicely symmetrical one).  Would the routing one these allow for fitting of such a plate?

The plate on these is quite small so I’d imagine a standard J type bell plate would look awkward and would not fit nicely?

• 4 months later...
On 10/08/2022 at 09:02, Pea Turgh said:

Some of the jags in the past were fitted with a Jazz style bell plate (the standard, nicely symmetrical one).  Would the routing one these allow for fitting of such a plate?

The control route in these is tiny. I couldn’t fit full size pots into it when I rewired it, so you would have to enlarge it to use the full length of a bigger plate.