Why become a member? ×

Headphone practice setups: halp pls!

3 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Some of these sound over complicated. I use a Blackstar headphone amp. Just plug and go. It does have a rhythm machine built in so you can practice playing in time.

This is what I use. So simple but does the job perfectly with the built in drum machine and aux line in to play your tunes through. 

The only thing that is annoying is the cables. 

I would like to have a look at the wazz air unit but it's bloody steep...

There's plenty of options. It all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want it to do.

My current collection of silent practice options include (but probably not limited to)

2x Korg Pandoras ( I think ones a 3 and one a 5)

1x 8 channel Behringer mixer

1x Zoom B1 4 multi effects with line in and a few drum patterns

1x Boss BR80 micro ( a small portable digital recoder with guitar in and line in)

1xBoss DR880 drum machine with guitar in (no line in).

1x Peavey Minx 30 Watt combo with headphone socket, but again no line in.

What do I use the most ? The Zoom B1 4 which I have plugged into one channel of the mixer. I have a digital piano and the drum machine and my computer also connected to the mixer. The computer runs Transcribe ! which is a really good transcription/ slow downer so that I can play along to any mp3 or video file I wish and loop it, slow it down etc and it even guesses the notes for you.

I use a Tascam GB10 with a pair of Phil Jones Bass headphones.  The Tascam can be loaded with mp3 tracks and you plug your bass into it to play along.  You can change the key without affecting the speed or change the speed without altering the key.  It also has a "loop" facility that enables a tricky part of the song to be played over and over again.  With a built in tuner and metronome, plus battery or mains power options it is a great little package.

Like many I use the Zoom B1ON/B1-Four

Good headphone sound, Line in and runs about a week's worth of practice on rechargeable batteries. Built in tuner and drum machine/metronome. You can run it off a power supply or just a USB charger if you prefer. Best of all it's £64

Don't be put off by all the extras, which you don't have to use. It's got all the effects you could want and a looper but you don't have to touch them. There are plenty of pre set sounds that just sound OK to good and for me it is just a plug and play practice machine.

• Like 1

On 04/05/2022 at 07:05, JJTee said:

Phil Jones Bighead (HA-1) Mobile Bass Amp. Absolutely brilliant. There’s a mk 2 which is a bit fancier but I couldn’t be happier with the cheaper version.  Plug my iPhone in, headphones and bass. Couldn’t be happier. Fantastic sound quality.

https://philjonesbass.net/cms/index.php/product-ha-1/

i seem to have problems with all the headphone practice amps over the years. I have the Big Head but firstly the battery stopped holding it's charge so then i used the usb socket to play direct from a usb power pack and now the micro usb connector socket has come loose inside so that only works intermittently but the quality of the sound is impressive. So recently I have started using my Stanley Clarke Acoustic preamp as  headphone amp and again the sound quality is superb.