Why become a member? ×

Bass preamp pedal

KinkMaster

41 minutes ago, paulo m said:

This version is for myself aimed more at the "Metal Guys" Distortion/ Blower Channel.. It is still a fine tool but not of the standard of its predecessor' The EBS Microbass II... I've read that people are complaining of extraineous noise ( Hiss etc) when engaging the Drive Channel.... So' its an Okay pedal but I doubt it has improved the reputation of EBS being Chinese production with modest components. 

I disagree - the clean channel is remarkable.

The distortion channel isn't as good.

Mine says manufactured in Sweden.

Edited by prowla

1 hour ago, prowla said:

I disagree - the clean channel is remarkable.

The distortion channel isn't as good.

Mine says manufactured in Sweden.

You say that you find the Clean channel remarkable.... in just what term's do you find its sound remarkable...? 

2 hours ago, paulo m said:

You say that you find the Clean channel remarkable.... in just what term's do you find its sound remarkable...? 

It really added more authority to the sound, compared to the SansAmp BDDI which previously held the spot on my board.

My only wish was that it had two of those channels rather than one plus distortion (like the Stanley Clark acoustic one).

1 hour ago, prowla said:

It really added more authority to the sound, compared to the SansAmp BDDI which previously held the spot on my board.

My only wish was that it had two of those channels rather than one plus distortion (like the Stanley Clark acoustic one).

I have multiple outboard Pre Amps... & I also like the EBS Microbass's "uncoloured tone" . It's their trademark  in a solid state unit... I own a Tech 21 Q Strip which is an excellent unit' for everything I've tryed from Tech 21 i didn't like.... they really coloured the sound with a Synthetic Tone... but the Q Strip is a different product all together' not bass specifically but a very versatile' unit... 

On 15/05/2022 at 15:01, paulo m said:

I have multiple outboard Pre Amps... & I also like the EBS Microbass's "uncoloured tone" . It's their trademark  in a solid state unit... I own a Tech 21 Q Strip which is an excellent unit' for everything I've tryed from Tech 21 i didn't like.... they really coloured the sound with a Synthetic Tone... but the Q Strip is a different product all together' not bass specific but a very versatile' unit... 

Non the less' I use very little overdrive' fuzz' call it what you will.... Only for use with an Octave for that "Grit" in the sound... & the Microbass 2 fits the bill.... Which is why I've chosen to stick with it.... The Microbass 3 is different again... I have played with both & for myself the tone & functionality of the 2 is "to my ears" of a  superior sound to the 3... Of course which is all subjective.

Edited by Rich

29 minutes ago, paulo m said:

I have multiple outboard Pre Amps... & I also like the EBS Microbass's "uncoloured tone" . It's their trademark  in a solid state unit... I own a Tech 21 Q Strip which is an excellent unit' for everything I've tryed from Tech 21 i didn't like.... they really coloured the sound with a Synthetic Tone... but the Q Strip is a different product all together' not bass specifically but a very versatile' unit... 

I like the Microbass 3's fx loop; it means it can be a pedalboard hub.

The fly in the ointment for me is that I've recently acquired an Ampeg valve preamp, which has a certain sound to it (of course)...

My pedalboard as-is:

rekX5OH.jpg

I'm trying out the HX Stomp replacing a number of discrete pedals and will see how that goes.

On 15/05/2022 at 09:16, Highfox said:

I picked up a used Orange Bass Butler di recently, not really used it in anger yet, waiting for a recording opportunity, but it's pretty flexible in terms of OD and distortion, if you like that Orange baked in sound.

Been through some SansAmps, Ampeg and Aguilar. Aguilar tone hammer pedal maybe my fav for a cleanish tone.

Seconded on the Bass Butler, I've been through the Darkglass suite of gear and landed on this. Love the clean, love the OD, set and forget on the compression. Bear in mind it's 18V though.

• Like 1

On 04/05/2022 at 11:10, Baloney Balderdash said:

Tech 21 Steve Harris SH-1.

Not at all just for sounding like Steve Harris, in fact really versatile, and with a switchable cab sim included to.

It distorts really nicely too! Some great distortion sounds on the SH-1! 

39 minutes ago, Bassmidget209 said:

Don't know if you have seen but walrus audio have just released a preamp, the badwater. Clean/drive, optical compressor, 4 band eq and DI.

I'd always think of it as the bedwetter though.

• Haha 1