Why become a member? ×

Bass preamp pedal

KinkMaster

I people, want to buy a pedal, features, especially for pre amplifier, valued additional, distortion, compression and di, for the amount I have available, I have this choices, HLX battalion, MXR M80 bass di, Ampeg SRC DI Tech 21 SansAmp Character VT Bass DI, Tech 21 Bass Driver DI V2, Aguiar tone hammer, any more suggestions up to 300 € max ????  thanks

I'd add Fishman Platinum Pro (no drive but has compressor, Tuner, DI, 5 band EQ with HPF and sweepable mids).

Or Laney Digbeth which has drive, DI, 4 band EQ, Aux in/phones out and is reasonably priced.

Or NUX MLD is great value if you can get the software working. 

12 minutes ago, GremlinAndy said:

There’s a SansAmp Paradriver just come available 2 hours ago, in the effects for sale section.   £125.

Not just a bass preamp/DI either; works great for guitars of any stripe.

• Like 1

I had the MXR M80 and as a clean preamp DI it's great.  I personally didn't like the 'Color' button, a bit too scooped for my taste but a lot of people do like it.  The distortion is OK too but there are better bass distortions.

Also had the TC Spectradrive and again I found it a good clean preamp and the compressor was good too.  I couldn't get a good sound out of the drive channel but it has aux in and headphone out so a very useful box.

Since then I've not got another preamp pedal and just use my bass and amp's preamp when rehearsing and small gigs.  Larger gigs I let front of house deal with it.

You really must try out as many as you can. 

Last summer I tried the following

- Tech 21 VT Bass DI
- Darkglass B7K Ultra
- Tech 21 Bass Driver DI v2

- Markbass Something or other (it had a valve in it). 

In short, the Bass Driver DI v2 won out. From owning V1 for over a decade I consider the V2 to be much more flexible because of the mids feature. It is also 'idiot proof' in terms of operation and great for gigging or recording when you need a decent bass sound quickly and without any fuss  which is something I really appreciate. I have never tried the Para Driver but I'm guessing I would like it too!

However, no on board compression, no headphone out, no additional footswitchable drive however I didn't need that as I already have other drives and compressions that I can used along with the Bass Driver. 

It is a bit above your initial budget, but something like a second hand Helix Stomp must surely be worth a consideration given it has a number of amp sims and effects on board? I was tempted to go this route, but I decided that I really need a 'plug in and play' preamp pedal.  

• Like 1

I'm new to pedals but someone bought me a Behringer BDI21 for my birthday recently, a clone of the Sansamp apparently. The damn thing just works, sprinkling fairy dust on my sound. It sounds like you are dipping your toes into the water and this is a really cheap way to start out.

I've also been using the Zoom B1ON (now replaced by the Zoom B1-four) as a practice/headphone amp and tuner when playing live. It's a multi effect thing, too fiddly to use on stage but has emulations of lots of pedals built in. I'm starting to use it as a way of exploring what I find useful and what isn't. I feel a compressor might be next.

• Like 1

I think my current fave is the Ampeg SCR-DI, it just ticks all the boxes for my needs at present. I’m also liking the Sansamp Bass Driver v2 as it can almost replicate the sound of the Ampeg.

I prefer the Ampeg as the drive can be switched on and off rather than having to change settings, but I only do that at home anyway, as such for gigging the Sansamp wins out - it’s also lighter & less bulky.

All good DI’s mentioned so far. I’ll throw the Dave Hall (DHA) VT1 Bass Drive DI into this too. A bit quirky - 12v etc but I always go back to mine, particularly when having to share backline. I’ve tried lots of others but can never get that particular ‘bark’ that the DHA gives me. I actually power it with my 9v supply when gigging and don’t seem to be lacking anything

I will throw this into the ring...

Atomic Bass Box.

Has...

Di, 4 band eq, compressor, boost / overdrive and finally 3 memories for amp and speaker ir's.

Love mine.

Edited by spyder
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Tech 21 Steve Harris SH-1.

Not at all just for sounding like Steve Harris, in fact really versatile, and with a switchable cab sim included to.

I've heard a few good demos of this one. What puts me off is that its a bit 'one channel' really as on the EQ is switchable between the two channels?

Edited by NAS Bass

19 minutes ago, NAS Bass said:

I've heard a few good demos of this one. What puts me off is that its a bit 'one channel' really as on the EQ is switchable between the two channels?

No the 2 mid controls just control 2 different mid frequency areas, only the gain is switchable, so you have two gain levels you can switch between.

All I would want from a preamp though would be one basic main tone, and the capability to shape it the way I wanted, and then have all my other tones come from other pedals.

Most preamps though really are just one channel, and then maybe a switchable drive, unless they are a part of a digital modeler.

This one is by the way all analog.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

No the 2 mid controls just control 2 different mid frequency areas, only the gain is switchable, so you have two gain levels you can switch between.

All I would want from a preamp though would be one basic main tone, and the capability to shape it the way I wanted, and then have all my other tones come from other pedals.

Most preamps though really are just one channel, and then maybe a switchable drive, unless they are a part of a digital modeler.

This one is by the way all analog.

I see, although I'd still prefer to adjust the EQ with a different gain setting. Might still try one though

Some great ideas above, some of which I've used.  Recently, I've been using an Aguilar Tone Hammer with some success - there's a drive function that seems more than adequate, though its something that I don't use.  It's a very hot unit so a bit of care required with gain and output, though a really useful and powerful EQ section.  Essentially, it's an Aguilar OBP3 in a box (and the latter is one of my favourite on-board pres).  Another alternative with a really fantastic EQ section is the Mesa Subway 800D plus - I had one until a few months ago and it really is a very well-built pre with an excellent feature set.  I probably shouldn't have sold it as they're not easy to find (especially in more recent times).  

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2022 at 07:27, prowla said:

The EBS Microbass 3 is a darned fine piece of kit.

MB3_1.jpg

My only criticism is that I'd prefer two equal channels rather than one normal and one distortion.

This version is for myself aimed more at the "Metal Guys" with its  Distortion/ Blower Channel.. It is still a fine tool but not of the standard of its predecessor' The EBS Microbass II... I've read that people are complaining of extraineous noise ( Hiss etc) when engaging the Drive Channel.... So' its an Okay pedal but I doubt it has improved the reputation of EBS being Chinese production with modest components. 

Edited by paulo m

I picked up a used Orange Bass Butler di recently, not really used it in anger yet, waiting for a recording opportunity, but it's pretty flexible in terms of OD and distortion, if you like that Orange baked in sound.

Been through some SansAmps, Ampeg and Aguilar. Aguilar tone hammer pedal maybe my fav for a cleanish tone.