Why become a member? ×

Bass Player Magazine - Subscription offers

casapete

5 hours ago, casapete said:

They should give you a Subscription for all the Publicity you are getting for them...!

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Well, just received my last of the £5 for 5 issues and they announce the Magazine is going totally online with no further print editions.

TBH having been a long term reader from years ago, I felt my recent 5 subscription issues contained lots of articles from back then that have just been 'refreshed'. This month features Bernard Edwards and I'm sure I've read at least 3 appreciations of him since he died in 1996. Other features such as three Bassists you've never heard of answering a questionaire which is edited to look like it wasn't a questionaire are ho hum for me. Spurious Getty Images dotted about  to hide the lack of editorial still abound. Afraid just 3 reviews of gear  a month does not satisfy my thirst for gear knowledge and some of the photography choices were weird. Last month they reviewed the new Trace Elliott Amp with one large photo at the top of the article and the same photo cropped to around 20% of the size to one side. Why not use the rear of the amp in the smaller pic to show the connectivity there......?

However a note of praise for our own Dood  on The Last Note, interesting and entertaining!

I know it's 'different strokes' but as you may have already guessed, I'm afraid I won't be going digital with them.

Trouble with these mags i find is they don’t want to offend advertisers. Hence gear reviews are meaningless. 

I did an amp review for Guitar and Bass (now also online only) and had my star rating for Blackstar combos ‘enhanced’. At £100 a review I decided it wasn’t worth the hassle. 

20 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Trouble with these mags i find is they don’t want to offend advertisers. Hence gear reviews are meaningless. 

I did an amp review for Guitar and Bass (now also online only) and had my star rating for Blackstar combos ‘enhanced’. At £100 a review I decided it wasn’t worth the hassle. 

Was it a black star that was enhanced?

As per issue 426, the magazine is moving fully online from issue 427.

I have loved many many years of Bassist, Bass Player (etc) magazine 'flicking through' with a coffee and a hob-nob.

Reading magazines is just not the same online... well, for me anyway.

Edited by MuddBass
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’ll be cancelling my subscription then, I’m def a “wait at the door” kinda guy. It’s a real pleasure not knowing exactly when it will appear, and then when it does sitting down with a cuppa and reading all things low-end. Plus finding where @Doodhas managed to place his immortal “shut your pie-hole” line in his article is all part of the fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Silvia Bluejay said:

Cost of paper and transport/delivery becoming prohibitive for almost all publications.

I'd happily pay more though for a print edition as they are great for flights, a quick browse in the car before school pick-up, holiday reads etc.

My plan is to go back to early Bassist / Bass Player issues, and read them all again 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted this in the Bass Player Subscription thread 9 hours ago

Well, just received my last of the £5 for 5 issues and they announce the Magazine is going totally online with no further print editions.

TBH having been a long term reader from years ago, I felt my recent 5 subscription issues contained lots of articles from back then that have just been 'refreshed'. This month features Bernard Edwards and I'm sure I've read at least 3 appreciations of him since he died in 1996. Other features such as three Bassists you've never heard of answering a questionaire which is edited to look like it wasn't a questionaire are ho hum for me. Spurious Getty Images dotted about  to hide the lack of editorial still abound. Afraid just 3 reviews of gear  a month does not satisfy my thirst for gear knowledge and some of the photography choices were weird. Last month they reviewed the new Trace Elliott Amp with one large photo at the top of the article and the same photo cropped to around 20% of the size to one side. Why not use the rear of the amp in the smaller pic to show the connectivity there......?

However a note of praise for our own Dood  on The Last Note, interesting and entertaining!

I know it's 'different strokes' but as you may have already guessed, I'm afraid I won't be going digital with them.

• Thanks 1

Funnily enough my subsvription has just come to an end and I was wondering where the 'this is your last chance to renew' reminders were as in the past I have had 3 to 4 this time just the one and no mention of going on line only.

I wait in anticipation....

Taking reviews as just one aspect of the magazine, a monthly printed or even online article with someone describing what a bass/amp/effects pedal is like with a couple of pics vs a detailed YouTube vid is a no-brainer, as is just about everything print media related. Bass Player was quite interesting initially, way back in the 90s but as music has increasingly been made with machines rather than instruments, and a career in music playing bass has largely disappeared and been replaced with hobbyist interests (not a criticism, just a fact of life), by even the late 90s/early 00s I’d given up buying it, let alone subscribing. I have in the last couple of years stopped my only remaining print subscription (for a magazine in another area of interest) because better 4G/5G/WiFi and the improvement of content online beats the printed mag hands down. Plus all that paper going in the recycling bin after a couple of months because much of the content is read once and bin was rather a waste!

The big problem with on-line "magazines" is that they still look and act like paper magazines and fail to take advantage of any of benefits of not being tied to a fixed page size and therefore photo and word count. You do get videos, but they are generally full of waffle, and can't be skim-read to get to the important (for me) parts.

I'll look at on-line magazines again once they actually start to present themselves in a way that uses the strengths of the medium. 

20 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

As a reader from day one of the US version, that's a real shame but the mag's been downhill for me ever since they stopped printing actual music which is kinda essential for a musical instrument magazine. How you can publish articles like "the most influential bassline in history", "100 greatest bass parts of all time" etc and have cover artists like Cliff Burton, Chris Squire, Laura Lee (and I'm just looking at my current stash of unread BPs) without a bar of music is a significant part of the downhill stretch. Good luck with the online version. The site run by the ex-US BP staff is really good though https://bassmagazine.com/

13 hours ago, MuddBass said:

My plan is to go back to early Bassist / Bass Player issues, and read them all again 😂

After Bassist mag was amalgamated into/swallowed up by Guitarist, it used to be quite amusing to flick through it at WH Smith each month and try to find any meaningful bass content whatsoever. I bet Roger Newell was really good at solitaire on his PC, because I don't think he had much else to do.

Edited by Rich

1 minute ago, Rich said:

After Bassist mag was amalgamated into/swallowed up by Guitarist, it used to be quite amusing to flick through each month and try to find any meaningful bass content whatsoever. I bet Roger Newell was really good at solitaire on his PC, because I don't think he had much else to do.

Surely you mean Neil Sedaka?

• Haha 1