Why become a member? ×

Shuker Dark Matters JJ Burnel Signature Lite P-bass

petecarlton

This may be a bit premature, as there's not a lot to show yet, but I've ordered a P-bass from Jon and I had the first pictures yesterday of potential neck blanks.  I intend to keep posting as I receive more informatuion and pictures, but the spec is as follows:

34" scale

20 frets

43.5mm nut width (since reduced to more like a Jazz at 40mm - I have small hands)

20.5mm neck depth at 1st fret

22,5mm at 12th

gentle c profile

flamed roasted maple neck

flamed rosted maple fretboard

two way truss rod

carbon fibre reinforcement

jumbo stainless steel fretwire

brass nut

satin neck lacquer

3mm luminlay side markers

6mm black face dots

triple string tree

gotoh GB 528 resolite tuners - the standard choice is Scahller Schaller bml lites, but I do like lollipops!

alder chambered body

reduced heel and recessed neck fixings

Usual carves (the internal chambering is graduated around the rear ribcage carve to make the carve possible, not simple and its a shame all that work is covered up! haha, i  would send pics of this before the top goes on)

polyester basecoat

black wet look lacquer gloss coat

carbonlite shaped s/plate

3 positions on the s/plate, vol, mid/mid freq, treble/bass

s/plate mounted jack

rear flip top battery compartment, although may be possible to have the battery under the s/plate in case you ever wanted the bass to go passive, i could do a cover section or split the s/plate so you didn't need to take the whole thing off.

recessed s/plate cover for the access to the truss rod.

custom wound split coil pickup

gotoh multi tonal bridge

schaller s-locks

black hardware

rotosound 45-105 swing bass as standard

shuker / hiscox logo case

So far, the only pictures I have are of the neck blanks, but it's a start!  Jon suggested nos 2 and 5 were the best, so I've left the choice to him.

image.thumb.png.d74443dc691d9ac14e043376f91d88ba.png

(Much) more to follow!

Pete

• Like 6

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Sounds like a clone of mine which I received last week.

IMG_1680.png

I imagine it is, apart from the machine heads and the neck width - what's yours?  Looks awesome by the way!  What a beaut - how are you getting on with it?

24 minutes ago, petecarlton said:

I imagine it is, apart from the machine heads and the neck width - what's yours?  Looks awesome by the way!  What a beaut - how are you getting on with it?

My one has a jazz neck on it.

I like lollipops too, but on a vintage jazz.

You won’t like the Shuker. You’ll need to pass it on to me when it’s finished 😂.

Seriously though, I’ve gigged it twice and it’s a cracker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I hope no-one's been holding their breath since I last posted.  I've had a bit of a manic time recently, but I do now have some progress pictures to put up.  So far, Jon's selected a neck - the bottom one in this picture, which is more evenly figured (he explained):

97278239_neckwithfretboard(bottomone).jpg.090bbd21cd8f3779d20204a563573853.jpg

• Like 2

Still waiting for mine (Jazz neck (actually slimmer)), too - no dots, either...it's only been 2 1/2 years...then again, we did have a bit of a global pandemic in between...

Edited by Muzz

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Still waiting for mine (Jazz neck (actually slimmer)), too - no dots, either...it's only been 2 1/2 years...then again, we did have a bit of a global pandemic in between...

Yes, but that's saintly patience!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Waiting in some trepidation for the latest pictures from Jon.  Perhaps stupidly. I decided the bass should be named for the Stranglers' single "Nuclear Device" from 1979 - it didn't do that well (no. 36 on the chart, I believe), but I always liked it.  The sinlge's sleeve had an illustration showing some rather cool-looking rockets, which Jon is planning to use as a logo on the front of the headstock, between his signature and JJs.  The "Nuclear Device" logotype would be on the back.  Neither of us wants it to be too busy, so all of this might change...

IMG_20220802_1736391.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/08/2022 at 17:53, petecarlton said:

Waiting in some trepidation for the latest pictures from Jon.  Perhaps stupidly. I decided the bass should be named for the Stranglers' single "Nuclear Device" from 1979 - it didn't do that well (no. 36 on the chart, I believe), but I always liked it.  The sinlge's sleeve had an illustration showing some rather cool-looking rockets, which Jon is planning to use as a logo on the front of the headstock, between his signature and JJs.  The "Nuclear Device" logotype would be on the back.  Neither of us wants it to be too busy, so all of this might change...

IMG_20220802_1736391.jpg

Just for a second I thought that was the back of the neck... 🙂

You have inspired me to contact Jon again about mine...he's probably gonna say 'Yeah, it's been sat here for ages waiting for you'... 😕🙂

Edit: I did, in fact contact Jon. He said "Yeah, it's been sat here for ages waiting for you." Upside is he's sticking it in the post next week... 😀

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/08/2022 at 21:36, Baloney Balderdash said:

Cool. :i-m_so_happy:

You got the technical specs for the custom wound P pickup, and would you mind sharing it in that case?

Just out of pure curiosity.

No, sorry. I've left all that up to Jon, not really my field of expertise. I'll try to find out more, now you've mentioned them.  😊

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...