Why become a member? ×

Working shift's or any other barrier that prevents us joining bands!

Joy of joys, I had an interview yesterday for a new job within the company. I got the job and it means I will now be working on a three weeks on three weeks off rota. Which means we can get the band back together. I am unsure of just how many gigs we will be able to procure but the fact that we can jam again fills me with happiness.  🤩

• Like 10

Everyone's lifestyle choices are different.

I have made plenty that I am sure most on here would find unpalatable simply so I could continue prioritise making music. At one point in the 80s someone asked me if the place where I was living was a squat. It wasn't, but I was able to put up with the general shabbiness of the place because, due to its location I could also use part of it as a recording and rehearsal space for my band (with drums) without worrying about noise complaints.

I've also worked at places where the only way I could guarantee that I would be available for gigs was to book the whole day off as a holiday weeks in advance. On occasion my band's gig schedule would use up the vast majority of my yearly holiday allowance.

These days I am self-employed and I treat my band(s) just like a another client (although ones that pay rather poorly), when it comes to time management. Occasionally I'll have to cancel a practice if I have an important last-minute job with a tight deadline, but gigs always come first, and I organise my work schedule around them.

• Like 3

TBH music's never been a priority for me, just one of several hobbies which I juggle. I've played in around 20 bands all told but because of work and the kids I've never been to commit myself the way other band members wanted. Over the last 20+ years my job has taken me all over Europe and south east Asia, something which has contributed towards 3 failed marriages and the fading away of many friendships never mind band commitments. Nowadays, I'm ok with open mic nights, jamming with acquaintances and occasionally depping for a couple of function bands when necessary. 

• Like 1

This topic really resonates with my experience!

I have worked shifts all my working life in the transport industry. After a long hiatus from playing during my 20's I decided to get back into playing and try to join a band but the rotating shifts and rest days meant I just could not commit to a band which rehearsed etc. 

I decided to change jobs and did office work for 6 years which I absolutely loathed but stuck it out as the hours allowed me to literally say YES to every opportunity that looked worth doing. 

Now I'm returning to my old job back on shifts but in the last 6 years I've built up a reputation with the local musician community, got regular gigs booked and am in 3 bands who are thankfully understanding of the realities of my situation.

The main problem as far as gigging is concerned is having a Mrs and 3 kids who I miss seeing when I'm out on a Friday or Saturday night in some dump of a venue while they're snuggled up at home on the sofa watching a film and eating popcorn 😔

• Sad 1

I've not yet played with the type of bands being discussed here. All my experience is very different with various choirs, orchestras, wind bands.... The advantage of those is that rehearsals are usually a fixed evening each week, usually for about 2 hours (one did rehearse Sunday afternoons) and gigs (concerts) are known months - as much as 2 years - ahead. Typical pattern is 8 - 10 rehearsals, then a concert. Repeat.

I worked in IT and I did have a period of being on-call, but that was only for a few years.   

• Like 1

I have always found having a regular day job ( no shift work ) seems to be a barrier or obstacle to some other musicians when auditioning for a band .

Some start up bands are already planning their world tour , even before doing their first gig down the local boozer .

I do work weekends , so no Sunday lunch time gigs for me ( thank goodness ) but I happily commit to any evening gigs .

I am always upfront about my job taking priority , the mortgage and bills need to be paid .

The best bands I’ve been in are with fellow musicians who also work , at least we all understand the demands of work on day to day life .

• Like 1

I gave up about 15 years ago because after having reached a level where I needed to get out gigging, I couldn't find a band that fitted in with my demanding day job (meaning unpredictable working hours, late evenings etc, not that I'm a world leading brain surgeon or anything).

I've recently started playing again but can't see me getting out much until I retire in 10 years or so as the unpredictability hasn't really gone away.

• Like 1

Quality of life, including time devoted to being a musician, was one of the reasons I quit the day job, cashed in the business and retired at 51. 

Not specifically to play gigs or be in a band, but to be able to play daily in general without finding myself too knackered, or suddenly in Norway or Italy at 22 hours notice, was a minor but genuine consideration when making the decision.

I still get contacted now and again and asked to do some consulting. So far I've declined, although the latest was €8000 for 3 days work in France did have me seriously tempted (I did turn it down in the end).

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

I think if I really wanted to, I could juggle work and a band.  I’ve done it in the past, but do travel a fair amount so it’s not ideal.  But I play in church a couple of times a month and can usually get someone to cover for me if I’m travelling.  I also do 3 or 4 open mics a year and play a piece at 3 or 4 piano concerts a year.  So I think I’m getting enough live playing without “needing” to be in a band.  I’d have to give one or more of the others up and reintroduce juggling work and family - so the band playing is the one to miss out.  Now when I retire……..

• Like 1

I initially gave up music for my job as it was shift work... being bandless lasted only 4yrs. How I got around it was I formed the first few bands around me and booked everything around my work. I built up a good enough reputation that I was getting approached by bands knowing that I was limited in my availability and they'd still want me. On social media I swear most people think I lead an exciting rock n roll lifestyle (busiest man in rock has been thrown at me on a fair few occasions) but the reality is that I have just become extremely good at juggling things. For the last few years my job has been more 8-4 type hours but as of Monday I am back around for the first of three 5 week blocks of 24/7 shift cover (over a few months, not back to back). In the middle of those I am managing a UK tour, a Spanish Tour, a trip to Norway and some decent standalone shows. Plus open mic and recording. I thankfully have few other distractions aside music and paid employment so am able to operate at this level. I guess my point is that if anyone really wants to do it, you can operate at a level with a degree of compromise, whether that's meeting in the middle on musical tastes, doing open mic, running the band yourself or some other way. I play with musicians who want to be the next Mick Jagger and I play with musicians who want to have a bit of fun away from everyday life. Both of those scenarios have strengths and weaknesses. Best of luck trying to find something. Oh and motto is "if it isn't fun, don't do it!"

• Like 2

I’ve just retired from 42 years on the railway. Mostly on the footplate driving but with a spell of 11 years in management in the middle. 

In the early days I was so frustrated as the shifts prevented me joining bands. What I learned was that the best way round it was to form my own band and organise the gigs around my shifts. It was a bit of a juggling act but the desire was there so I made it happen.

In the last third of my career things became easier as I was involved in a lot of training. We had a local agreement that allowed us to take overtime worked on training as time off in lieu and that saw me through to retirement. Happy daze!

To anyone who’s got a young family and lots of financial commitments and struggling with doing what you love I’ll say always put your family and your livelihood first.

have a great day everyone,

colin

• Like 4

my wife worked shifts for many years and was also on call out too. She knew her shifts well in advance and was able to gig regularly. When we got together she was playing bass in an all girl sort of pop punk group and a classic rock band.

Eventually she left the girl group and I started to dep for her classic rock band (they were mates and we used to play together in previous bands) as her shifts changed.

It can be done but family probably gets in the way too. We dont have any kids but lots of people I know, have their playing restricted a bit by having kids etc.

Even our dog is more important to me than gigs now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Not every rehearsal or gig, and may be replaced by deps if it occurs. It seems a bit harsh to have a blanket 'Shifts..? No thank you.' policy. :friends:

May seem harsh, but in reality probably the better option. I’ve been in situations where deps

have turned up at short notice due to other band member’s careers, and the band has suffered

as a result. If everyone was doing it, the band wouldn’t exist, so more honest to specify what

level of commitment is required from day one.

(Also, have you ever tried to get a dep for a rehearsal? 😆)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, casapete said:

May seem harsh, but in reality probably the better option. I’ve been in situations where deps

have turned up at short notice due to other band member’s careers, and the band has suffered

as a result. If everyone was doing it, the band wouldn’t exist, so more honest to specify what

level of commitment is required from day one.

(Also, have you ever tried to get a dep for a rehearsal? 😆)

I think we'll have to agree that there are 'bands' and 'bands'. Many of the bands I've played in have been almost 'scratch' bands, often enough with folk I've never met before. The variety repertoire had, at that time a certain number of 'standards', but many would be 'winged', without rehearsal, as everyone knew them from having heard 'em at least once. (Not always, though; with the 'Tropicana' band, playing Creole stuff, I just followed the Caribbean percussionists with a samba or beguine, and everyone danced just the same...).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Not every rehearsal or gig, and may be replaced by deps if it occurs. It seems a bit harsh to have a blanket 'Shifts..? No thank you.' policy. :friends:

My band, my rules. You miss a gig, you're done. Don't have time for those who can't commit. 

10 minutes ago, Horizontalste said:

Are you flexible when booking gigs or do you book what you want to do & expect the rest of the band to accept your terms?

Before I book, I make sure everyone can do the gig. 

Let's say the gig is booked two months in advance - those on shifts will have no idea what their hours are until the week of. Gig cancelled etc etc.