Why become a member? ×

May composition Challenge

lurksalot

Just in time with my entry 'Time Portal'.

The image made me think of a swirly time and space portal from those old 60s and 70s TV shows so here's a slightly-skewed-in-places tune with a few echoey bits thrown in for a wobbly 'Woah, time travel, eh?' feel. But what is time? “Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so” said Ford Prefect to Arthur Dent as the Earth was about to be demolished in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Fair enough. Who am I to argue?

Epiphone guitar, unbranded guitar in open G tuning, violin bass, Yamaha keyboard, Vivlex echo pedal, Zoom effects pedal, Roland cube amp, drums programmed with Hydrogen drums. Audacity and Wavepad remain my recording chums.

Edited by upside downer
  • Like 4

I intended to take a break from the comp this month. Then I saw the image and it just screamed 'Do a Floyd rip-off!'

The Eye - A History ↓

Spoiler

The Animals tour ended on July 6th 1977 amid a general sense of relief tinged with recriminations. Pink Floyd re-convened two months later at their management offices to discuss the next project. Waters was eager to present an idea he had developed during the hiatus. His characteristically paranoid concept centred on the notion of an all-seeing, computer controlled global surveillance system which Waters dubbed 'The Eye'. The band agreed to pursue Water's musical sketches and began recording sessions at Abbey Road studios.

All appeared to be going smoothly until Waters unveiled his plan for the live shows. Disgusted by the idea of being 'a visual commodity' Waters proposed that the band merely sit on stage watching the audience on surveillance monitors while The Eye played on a background tape. Mason expressed grave reservations while Gilmour stormed out of the studio in a blind fury, shouting 'It's like banging your head against a wall.

The outcome was terminal; unable to agree on a performance concept the band shelved The Eye and the studio recordings remained unheard for over forty years. This deluxe recreation of the project consumed months of research and extensive digital re-editing of the surviving recorded fragments. As Gilmour later remarked: 'My name is David. Please don't call me Dave'.

Lester Bangs

Lyrics ↓

Spoiler

The Eye (Parts 3 and 4)

Long predicted monsters emerging from the fog
crawling from the streets into the fields
O! Come forth a wise man, take us in your arms
Bless us with a great protective shield

The Eye: 'Visuals have been augmented. Sub-routines are now deployed.'

The information flow is stable
the images are coming through in particles and waves
and each of us will be grateful
The Eye will protect us from the cradle to the grave

Communing with The Eye is to see the face of God
Check your thinking. Always Keep it right.
Ever growing, ever seeking power through the lens,
the enemy has found his way inside

The Eye: 'And you won't need to worry if you can prove that you've done nothing wrong'

The compilation architecture 
fed by silver satellites circling the sky
and when The Supplicants articulate its will 
everyone shall become a servant of The Eye

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's a first , the last 2 entries squeeking in at 4.59 :D  , rules is rules and we appreciate the dedication to those timings 

Suffice to say the voting thread will be up soon , but I have got distracted by listening through as I build up the thread.

F**k me you guys have all played blinders this month , hats off  :hi: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2