Why become a member? ×

Amp vibrating off cab

Pan

Hello guys 

i have just used for the first time the Orange terror 500 with the OBC115 it sounds awesome with the Gibson thunderbird , however when playing the amp is vibrating off the cab which is very annoying , is this a known thing and if so what do you guys use to stop this ?

Many thanks 

I have an Orange Little Bass Thing which has the same problem - the feet of the amp are fairly hard plastic rather than vibration absorbing rubber. My rather inelegant solution is a couple of layers of bubble wrap between amp and cab - looks cheap but it works. I keep the bubble wrap in the carry case I use for the amp

It indicates that the cab is inadequately braced on the inside, if at all. Aside from being an annoyance the energy expended vibrating the cab walls is energy not creating sound, or worse, it creates unwanted sound. This is an example of a well braced cab:

https://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/generation-three-enclosures.htm

You may not be able to retrofit that extent of bracing, but even a single brace that connects the center of opposing panels has the same effect on vibration reduction as doubling the thickness of the panels.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

It indicates that the cab is inadequately braced on the inside, if at all. Aside from being an annoyance the energy expended vibrating the cab walls is energy not creating sound, or worse, it creates unwanted sound. This is an example of a well braced cab:

You may not be able to retrofit that extent of bracing, but even a single brace that connects the center of opposing panels has the same effect on vibration reduction as doubling the thickness of the panels.

To be fair, my Orange LBT vibrates even though I use a Barefaced  Super Compact. The amp's feet are hard plastic which does absolutely nothing to help the amp sit still on the cab. The amp is also very light, but I don't have a problem with my TE Elf, which is even lighter.

I am sure that the suggestions of a rubber mat are better than my piece of bubble wrap, but it was just there when I needed it, so it is now folded and in the  carry bag with the amp. A rubber mat would be better, but becomes another thing to carry. 

Better feet for the amp would be the real answer.

5 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

This.

doing something about hard plastic feet is going to solve the problem but the panel it sits on is clearly vibrating a lot if it is picking up the amp and moving it around. Some simple bracing will be a really worthwhile DIY upgrade to the cab.

• Like 1

The cheapo anti-slip matting is perfect. It rolls/folds up to be stored easily too.

20220502_092522.thumb.jpg.bf34e4ccc52362720de430f971b2b664.jpg

I understand the bracing comment but I've played on raked theatre stages where my whole rig would move forward if I didn't put carpet beneath it, so hard plastic feet on smooth tolex would drift even with minor vibrations.

Lightweight heads are also easier to drag off the cab if/when someone (usually me) accidentally trips on your bass instrument cable.

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

Lightweight heads are also easier to drag off the cab if/when someone (usually me) accidentally trips on your bass instrument cable.

That's why I always loop my lead through the carrying handle of the amp as well as through the strap.

• Like 4

Hi @Pan,

This is a common issue I encountered some years ago.

All great advice above, but I thought I would share my solution which are these non-slip musical instrument mats.

They are excellent.

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Stage-Works-2-Pedal-Mats/art-ACC0003320-000?campaign=GShopping/GB&ProgramUUID=HADAqJarPzAAAAFlea9yjI.G&gclid=CjwKCAjwgr6TBhAGEiwA3aVuIbTFjbokHbyqaSacGhVY-u6-4ftCIC4AupJY9bF42rmAoTJtma37URoC3nAQAvD_BwE

1072088183_Screenshot2022-05-02at09_34_31.png.ba2aaa9b6662810946000c2d4ea8c500.png

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

That's why I always loop my lead through the carrying handle of the amp as well as through the strap.

Exactly right, I do that too except  when the handle is on the cab top face as they are on my Markbass NY121P cabs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

The cheapo anti-slip matting is perfect. It rolls/folds up to be stored easily too.

20220502_092522.thumb.jpg.bf34e4ccc52362720de430f971b2b664.jpg

I understand the bracing comment but I've played on raked theatre stages where my whole rig would move forward if I didn't put carpet beneath it, so hard plastic feet on smooth tolex would drift even with minor vibrations.

This stuff is brilliant and it works......I always hand this out to the audience sitting near my two Super compacts and my Handbox R400.....stops their beer vibrating of their table..

• Haha 1

As Bill says, if the cab is vibrating enough to throw the amp off, then you're wasting a lot of energy that should be going into creating your sound.

And while I know amps have to pass tests for various levels of vibrations, I treat my amps as delicate things. I wouldn't want any amp I own to be shaken around as much as this.

So you need  a cab that doesn't waste your tone and volume in this way, and you need a vibration resistant foam between the cab and the amp.

Edited by chris_b
speling

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

As Bill says, if the cab is vibrating enough to throw the amp off, then you're wasting a lot of energy that should be going into creating your sound.

And while I know amps have to pass tests for various levels of vibrations, I treat my amps as delicate things. I wouldn't want any amp I own to be shaken around as much as this.

So you need  a cab that doesn't wast your tone and volI'veume in this way, and you need a vibration resistant foam between the cab and the amp.

I think "throwing" is exaggerating a bit. If you're playing at a decent volume some vibration is inevitable and hard plastic feet can slowly shift over the course of a gig unless you use a spirit level when setting up.

41 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

I think "throwing" is exaggerating a bit. If you're playing at a decent volume some vibration is inevitable and hard plastic feet can slowly shift over the course of a gig unless you use a spirit level when setting up.

There have been posts where guys have reported their amps falling off the cabs. I guess that's a possibility for any light weight amp.

There will probably be some vibration in even the best cab, and that's why I put approx 2" of foam under my amps. I started with my Mesa 400+ (with its 16 something valves) and just carried on through SS and D class. My amps never wander about, so I believe they're not being vibrated, much.

I feel like Cameron and Brown here but I agree with Bill and Phil. The first problem to address is the cabinet vibration and the second is the type of feet. Ask Orange about that. Third problem is the foam/rubber mat underneath. It may restrict the airflow as some amps will draw cold air from below AND the case may become warm and the close proximity of the foam/rubber matting could stop heat escaping.

4 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

If the amp is parting company with the cab then it's being thrown alright. One little chuck at a time.

5 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

I feel like Cameron and Brown here but I agree with Bill and Phil. The first problem to address is the cabinet vibration and the second is the type of feet. Ask Orange about that. Third problem is the foam/rubber mat underneath. It may restrict the airflow as some amps will draw cold air from below AND the case may become warm and the close proximity of the foam/rubber matting could stop heat escaping.

The cheapo matting is 2 to 3mm thick so shouldn't create any thermal problems. I use a piece between my ABS rack case and tolex Bergantino cabs which slips about like crazy without it.

Edited by Sparky Mark