Why become a member? ×

Which is The coolest bass solo song.

nilorius

Even though I mostly play fingerstyle for me it's a toss up between these two lines that are played with a pick. They're not 'bass solo' songs but I'd definitely call them lead bass lines and definitely cool as f***

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lowdown said:

In similar way, like the Gary Willis track you posted, these players of a high standard are lyrical and melodic when soloing around the changes or, performing solo pieces.

They know in their head, exactly what the next note (or phrase) will be, rather than letting the fingers aimlessly lead the way searching for notes.

Gary Willis absolutely knows the next note, that is why his solos sound so melodic and never ever the same. He uses his heart, brain and soul together with solfeggio develope a perfect composition.

• Like 2

Jaco's solo on Ian Hunter's All American Alien Boy track is pretty cool (starts about 1:19). 

Another point in it's favour is that it is very much a solo in the context of a rock and roll song, rather than just a showcase for Jaco's chops! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 3

The popular:

Free - Mr. Big

Paco de Lucia - Alta mar (from One summer night) 

The bit less known:

Jeff Berlin, Pekka Pohjola, Niels-Henning Ørsted-Pedersen, and Edgar Meyer have many very interesting solos.

13 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Even though I mostly play fingerstyle for me it's a toss up between these two lines that are played with a pick. They're not 'bass solo' songs but I'd definitely call them lead bass lines and definitely cool as f***

Thanks for posting that NMA clip. IIRC it was one of the few times a band like that played live on TOTP rather than miming. Raw and powerful. 

3 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Coolest bass solo from the funkiest mutha in the universe? I saw him at the Barbican on this tour, doing this very solo. I don't think my internal organs have ever vibrated like that!

Hilarious timing. You beat me to it by a couple of hours......His love songs are epic....

22 hours ago, peteb said:

Jaco's solo on Ian Hunter's All American Alien Boy track is pretty cool (starts about 1:19). 

Another point in it's favour is that it is very much a solo in the context of a rock and roll song, rather than just a showcase for Jaco's chops! 

This was what I was going to suggest, cool solo that fits the song :) 

John 😎 

• Like 1

Or his take on 'Tears In Heaven'. Both of these tunes are the real deal: harmonically and melodically sophisticated music that is rhythmically strong. These are 'solos' that are not based on silly tricks and 'juggling' but on melody, harmony and rhythm. I don't live everything JB does (I don't like his High Standards and Low Standards cds, for instance) but you cannot deny this guy has chops, technically, compositionally and harmonically.

I often teach this bass line:

I can cover quite a lot of theory and lessons about songwriting with just.one.note.

The coolest bass line doesn't have to have a million notes. I'd even argue that the bass is doing exactly what it should be doing in When Doves Cry by Prince.

That said, I love my prog and just one song of many comes to mind that just grabs my ears in the most delicious way, Thoughts Pt II by Spock's Beard. The bass sound and solo is GNARLY!