Why become a member? ×

MoMark concept

la bam

Ok, so I'm late to the party noticing these, but I really love the concept of the markbass momark.

The fact you can build up an amp from different component blocks is a brilliant idea. So in effect youd get you perfect amp.

Why didnt these catch on, and why did no one else pick up on this concept?

With everything going class d and modular (pre amp pedals etc) it's the perfect solution in my eyes. Want an svt sound, add a sansamp block, want a 12 band eq, add a twelve band eq, want chorus or fx, add that, want a tuner add that.

I bought a couple of Momark amps second-hand; the 500 watt class AB and 800 watt class D versions. I also managed to buy several modules for next to nothing (£20 to £50 each) so I could experiment and find my favourite combination.

It's a great concept but probably not commercially viable. The set up costs for all of the individual injection mouldings, printed circuit boards, front panels etc. must've been enormous and never sold sufficient numbers to be worthwhile for Markbass.

I love mine, they are beautifully made high quality amplifiers. 

20210412_202651.thumb.jpg.8be73469b8e4f213a52f1c0ad136ebe8.jpg

• Like 4

I also had the 500 watt class AB and 800 watt class D versions. As @Sparky Mark said, probably just not commercially viable.  I recall when I bought my first one (500w Class AB) it was about £100-£200 more than a LM3.  The only real difference was the flexibility to change modules and it looked nicer.

Mine originally had the solid state pre-amp module that I later swapped out for the tube pre-amp which I preferred.  It worked out cheaper that buying a new amp and I got another few years out of it before moving to something else. 

On 01/05/2022 at 08:55, wateroftyne said:

It sounds like a right clart on to me.

Just buy the amp that gives you the sound you like….

That's kinda the point??

I don't think it was ever intended that users bought multiple modules and swapped them etc.  Its a way of Markbass releasing an amp without a spec, and the buyer can spec it exactly as they want at the point of purchase, almost like a custom amp.

Great idea, but doubt it was remotely economically viable for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kev said:

That's kinda the point??

I don't think it was ever intended that users bought multiple modules and swapped them etc.  Its a way of Markbass releasing an amp without a spec, and the buyer can spec it exactly as they want at the point of purchase, almost like a custom amp.

For that to be a strong selling hook, the combination of modules would have to offer something pretty much unique. 

Was that the case? 

7 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

For that to be a strong selling hook, the combination of modules would have to offer something pretty much unique. 

Was that the case? 

I think it was getting there....

Solid state or valve preamp.

EQ options Small eq/Larger eq/7 band eq etc.

Different powered power amps.

Different types of power amps - a/b or d.

If they had done a compressor, tuner, (I dont know if they did?) and different types of pre amps (rocky, jazzy, funky), and then even fx such as chorus/distortion etc you've suddenly got a really big array of options.

Edited by la bam

16 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Was that the case? 

Unique to the Markbass range, certainly.  It was just the idea of choosing a power module rating, a preamp type and other things that you couldn't just buy ready made at the time.  Like I say really, a custom spec amp of sorts, within the constraints of the modules they made.

Imagine a Class A/B version of it, you may find it easier to see the benefits of ;) 

With everything going smaller etc it's a great concept for now. It was probably 10 years ahead of the game.

The ability now to choose a preamp, eq, tuner, compressor, di, and a/b or d power amp to build a custom amp - that you can change if you like - would save on pedal boards, helix, and other fiddly add ons.

3 minutes ago, la bam said:

With everything going smaller etc it's a great concept for now. It was probably 10 years ahead of the game.

I dunno - 13 years later there still doesn't seem to be a gap in the market for it 😄

13 minutes ago, Kev said:

Imagine a Class A/B version of it, you may find it easier to see the benefits of ;) 

Nope... still struggling to see it (just like the target audience 13 years ago, I guess).

21 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I dunno - 13 years later there still doesn't seem to be a gap in the market for it 😄

Nope... still struggling to see it (just like the target audience 13 years ago, I guess).

You certainly weren't their target audience! :D 

I think I remember them being expensive, i.e. a fully spec'd amp was a good amount more than many other Class D Amps out at the time.  And, at the end of the day, there was probably always a stock amp close enough to ticking all the boxes available.  Although, I'm seeing a lot less Markbass amps around in general these days?  They were all over the place when the Momark came out, can't remember the last time I saw anyone with one now.

Markbass intended for their dealers to each have a tower containing all the amp frames and modules that you could switch about to test which combination you preferred, then buy that configuration.

Over the past 15 years Markbass has launched more bass amp products than any other brand, a few stick, but most are consigned to the discontinued category before too long.

I think Marco just loves having fun with new product launches. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I think now it has been superseded by just modelling the amp you want and going into the PA.

Certainly the case for me.  3 years amp free!

Both currently configured with the valve pre amp module and the HE version sporting the 4 band semi parametric EQ module. 

20220503_123304.thumb.jpg.e1412b25a1a0963f6cec2f48329a7518.jpg

Oh, and they both have a very rare feature for Markbass amplifiers, a front panel mute switch....hoorah!

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

Nice!

Markbass do drive me mad sometimes!

I've seen great amps from them that I've wanted then they all seem to have one thing missing for no reason at all.... ie one will not have a mute switch, then another will but no DI, then one will have both of those but no parametric eq etc! They're a madcap company sometimes!

• Like 1

I kinda went a bit bonkers buying up second hand Markbass heads as they appeared for about the cost of a repair. If one fails every year (or every other gig at the moment!) I have enough to see me through to the end I reckon.

• Like 1