Why become a member? Ɨ

NCD Orange OBC112 x 2

CJPJ

Decided to pull the trigger on the full Orange set up. Really pleased with the sound as much as I can test from home. Will put it through its paces at the next rehersal in the studio but if I'm honest, I quite like this sat in my front room as a piece of artwork šŸ™‚Ā  Ā 

I have noticed some resonance in the amp on the open A string - a vibration which is audible but which disappears when you pick up the amp. Not sure if this is just the accoustics in my front room, something loose in the amp or just a lot of virbration from the cabs.Ā I can always leave the amp on the floor but that's not idea and likely to get kicked. Perhaps a foam cushion between the amp and cab might also work.

Ā 

D944AF31-F51F-4F17-B4CB-E7679B6CADB1.thumb.jpeg.2f7378abf03a8a33d7d54624764f6e5d.jpeg

• Like 5

The room may well have an A tuning that matches the boxes.

Ā 

Try unplugging the top cab. Try swapping the cabs top and bottom etc. If no amount of cab swapping and unplugging does anything but putting a pair of sock socks under the amp does you can be pretty sure the cabs have a resonance by default.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 01/05/2022 at 07:26, CJPJ said:

Decided to pull the trigger on the full Orange set up. Really pleased with the sound as much as I can test from home. Will put it through its paces at the next rehersal in the studio but if I'm honest, I quite like this sat in my front room as a piece of artwork šŸ™‚Ā  Ā 

I only just came across this thread. I have the same set up with a V2 version of the Terror. I use it in clean mode all the time with the gain not much above 1/4 and volume about 1/3, and I am being constantly told to turn down by our sound guy and drummer. This rig really does chuck it out and plenty of bass.

Ā 

I have noticed some resonance from the OBC112 cabs but not from the amp. My Barefaced One10 has even more resonance at certain frequencies/notes. I guess it is part of the trade off between weight and density of the cabinet materials. A price worth paying for lightweight and portability IMO. You can always play with the EQ a bit to tame the resonant frequency. I do sometimes get some rattle from the amp but it goes when I tighten up the screws that hold the top cover on.

Ā 

How do you feel about your rig now you have had it a few months? Pathetic I know but when I see pictures of my band in action, I always think the OBCs look too small. The guitaristsā€™ combos are bigger than my cabs! Not a valid reason for getting an 8 x 10 I know, even if I could: a) afford it; b) lift it into the car; c) fit it into the car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Obrienp said:

How do you feel about your rig now you have had it a few months? Pathetic I know but when I see pictures of my band in action, I always think the OBCs look too small. The guitaristsā€™ combos are bigger than my cabs! Not a valid reason for getting an 8 x 10 I know, even if I could: a) afford it; b) lift it into the car; c) fit it into the car.

I love it and no issues with the volume. I do sometime wish I had a bit more treble but that might be due to my playing a P Bass on flats through the rig! Itā€™s a great set up and so portable.Ā 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CJPJ said:

I love it and no issues with the volume. I do sometime wish I had a bit more treble but that might be due to my playing a P Bass on flats through the rig! Itā€™s a great set up and so portable.Ā 

Yes. I am really pleased with my rig too. Iā€™m surprised that there arenā€™t more posts about the Orange stuff but I guess the orange tolex is a bit marmite. I think the flats probably do have quite a lot to do with the treble deficit but the OBCs are pretty vintage voiced.Ā 
Ā 

The bassist in the band that was on immediately after us, at the same venue at the Dereham Blues Festival on Saturday, had Aguilar gear. I think the cabs were 12s too but much larger than the OBCs. They seemed to be quite a struggle to lug around, especially in the heat. They made an impressive sized stack but I couldnā€™t be doing with the size and weight (and no doubt cost).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Welcome to the Orange family! That rubber mat should fix it. I had a look on EBay and found an Orange one (colour, not brand!)

I ordered thisĀ https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164519392808Ā I cut it in two and use one between the cabs (stops the rubber feet from the top one marking the top of the other cab) and fold the remaining bit and it fits like a perfeect rectangle under the Terror Bass over the cab handle.

• Like 2