Why become a member? ×

Gimme some Larry Graham, please

BassTractor

Larry Graham is not really mentioned that often if I recall, but I was floored by him yesterday when listening to "Rave Un2 the Year 2000" where he performed with tafka Prince, using what I presume must be a Moon Larry Graham bass, as the headstock seemed to say "Moon".
Anyway, luvverly playing and tone to die for (deep and roundish but still with sonority).

Now, what songs should I hear if I want to know more about him? Interesting playing prioritized.
I've never really been a Sly &tFS man even though their music is agreeable, and know zilch about GCS or about his solo output.

Point is I have no sound in my laptop, so can't check YT.
Must just buy some songs and play them from my iPod.

Any help gratefully received!
Bert

• Like 2

I preferred Rustee Allen with sly and the family stone although you can’t take away from Larry Graham. 
Here’s a section out of a live event with Larry Graham and Stanley Clarke it was the “live under the sky” gig in Japan 1985 the whole thing is great. 

check it out on your phone if you have no YouTube on the laptop it’s a great gig. 

• Thanks 1

If you fancy a bit of Rustee too listen to the album “fresh” by sly and the family stone 

the first track “In Time” is just an amazing bass line and the drum pattern is just slick 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gotta love Larry Graham - this is a brilliant cover of Hair (encouraged me to learn it after 45 yrs!!!)

and this contains my favourite ever Larry Graham bass part - blew me away when I first heard it in the mid 70s - double thumbing and all (and contains at least half a dozen fills I’ve nicked and used ever since - listen carefully - other famous players have used them as well!!)

• Like 1

Of course, there are the standards such as ‘hair’ and ‘pow’ etc, but a personal favourite is ‘Now Do-U-Wanta Dance’, but this version [see below]. It is slower and the bassline is different to the original. So much funk at 00.28! 🙂

Edited by Greg.Bassman
  • Thanks 1