Why become a member? ×

24 years of playing bass and still getting fired

Bobby Aaron

Welp,

Just got fired from another band. I've been playing for 24 years, HAD TO learn theory because I learned my ear is not my strongest musical quality. My work ethic as far as practice is better than most cats I've played with; however, these attributes seem to only be a very small piece of the puzzle. 

I know what most of you are automatically thinking. I am are probably overplaying. I feel that way too. But I also feel that I've been dismissed for underplaying. If I'm not practicing, I'm watching videos from Vic Wooten, who states many times that placed in correct spots, even wrong notes work in passing which is usually a walking bass line technique, and of course that doesn't always work for every occasion. I also love Rich Brown and Scott Devine for insight. These guys also teach playing what you hear.. There is also many pro producers on YouTube who instruct staying away from strictly root note bass composition. On the other hand, I've seen instruction that stresses 90% root note. I belive my strongest quality is locking in with the drummer and creating a pocket.

So I ask anyone out there, what the heck is the point of learning anything above the E & A string?

Bobby

51 minutes ago, Chaosanator said:

Have you asked them for feedback?

This. You need to know why you've got the bum's rush, otherwise there's no way to learn from it. It might be something you're doing/not doing, or it might just be that they're gits.

• Like 5

I agree with the above, ask for a reason and don’t assume it’s how many or few notes you are playing. I have stuck around in bands with people who aren’t the best players but are really easy going and decent human beings.

Likewise I have wanted to leave bands because I just couldn’t quite get someone’s general personality or sense of humour.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bobby Aaron said:

Welp,

Just got fired from another band. I've been playing for 24 years, HAD TO learn theory because I learned my ear is not my strongest musical quality. My work ethic as far as practice is better than most cats I've played with; however, these attributes seem to only be a very small piece of the puzzle. 

I know what most of you are automatically thinking. I am are probably overplaying. I feel that way too. But I also feel that I've been dismissed for underplaying. If I'm not practicing, I'm watching videos from Vic Wooten, who states many times that placed in correct spots, even wrong notes work in passing which is usually a walking bass line technique, and of course that doesn't always work for every occasion. I also love Rich Brown and Scott Devine for insight. These guys also teach playing what you hear.. There is also many pro producers on YouTube who instruct staying away from strictly root note bass composition. On the other hand, I've seen instruction that stresses 90% root note. I belive my strongest quality is locking in with the drummer and creating a pocket.

So I ask anyone out there, what the heck is the point of learning anything above the E & A string?

Bobby

Are you sure it’s just the playing? Getting on with your band mates is 99% of the gig. 

It also sounds like you’re over thinking what you’re playing. A good teacher will be less confusing than the opinions of different videos on YouTube. 

• Like 2

No, you're right about getting along, and that was a reason unfortunately. However, I went out of my way to get along with every member, even the one there was a minor tension with. So I think it was more that they didn't like me. 

As far as over thinking, you could be right. In my opinion, the music lacked creative diversity and I thought I could use the bass lines to make it sound a bit more fresh. I wanted the gig though and the member were good players, so I though I could spark some new inspiration. 

Bobby

9 hours ago, Mottlefeeder said:

You are focused on playing notes.

I don't know you, and do not mean to cause offence, but have you considered your attitude? Are you being fired because you are not a good fit in some way?

David

8 hours ago, Rich said:

This. You need to know why you've got the bum's rush, otherwise there's no way to learn from it. It might be something you're doing/not doing, or it might just be that they're gits.

6 hours ago, NJE said:

I agree with the above, ask for a reason and don’t assume it’s how many or few notes you are playing. I have stuck around in bands with people who aren’t the best players but are really easy going and decent human beings.

Likewise I have wanted to leave bands because I just couldn’t quite get someone’s general personality or sense of humour.

So I did ask for feedback because it was that mysterious. I was told two reasons from the singer/songwriter/leader in so many words, down the road, the tension between me and and the LG wouldn't be beneficial. And, sorry what your playing isn't what we wanted. Your lines work easily but not for us.

1) I had been playing with them since December. After two tryout rehearsals, they asked me aboard. Then played a gig after a month and rocked it out. 

2) within 30 mins of playing with them for the first time, lead guitarist says "don't overplay". I didn't react I just thought in my head "already I just met you and learning how you guys play". I treated this gig and respected it exactly like my 9-5, professional.

3) This past month, waited 3 weeks for drum tracks to be done. Finally it was my turn. Before I even recorded a note, days before I wanted to get the situation straight because some beats had changed. Talking to the drummer, I clarified that I have parts written but some ideas I'd like to try. "Oh yea man, please experiment" singer guitarist - "we like that your not a strictly root note player" I said ok let's do this. 7 hrs in to my session, lead guitarist shows, and says "your runs are perfect but your over playing" finally after hearing this 4 times I said I disagree and I think the lines accent everything very well. I went home, messed with just root notes with some of the material and it just sounded dull. I messaged them and said the bass doesn't walk on the vocals or the guitar lines, I'm not sure where this coming from. Did even get a chance to go back and give them what they wanted. Fired the next day.

24 minutes ago, Bobby Aaron said:

So I did ask for feedback because it was that mysterious. I was told two reasons from the singer/songwriter/leader in so many words, down the road, the tension between me and and the LG wouldn't be beneficial. And, sorry what your playing isn't what we wanted. Your lines work easily but not for us.

1) I had been playing with them since December. After two tryout rehearsals, they asked me aboard. Then played a gig after a month and rocked it out. 

2) within 30 mins of playing with them for the first time, lead guitarist says "don't overplay". I didn't react I just thought in my head "already I just met you and learning how you guys play". I treated this gig and respected it exactly like my 9-5, professional.

3) This past month, waited 3 weeks for drum tracks to be done. Finally it was my turn. Before I even recorded a note, days before I wanted to get the situation straight because some beats had changed. Talking to the drummer, I clarified that I have parts written but some ideas I'd like to try. "Oh yea man, please experiment" singer guitarist - "we like that your not a strictly root note player" I said ok let's do this. 7 hrs in to my session, lead guitarist shows, and says "your runs are perfect but your over playing" finally after hearing this 4 times I said I disagree and I think the lines accent everything very well. I went home, messed with just root notes with some of the material and it just sounded dull. I messaged them and said the bass doesn't walk on the vocals or the guitar lines, I'm not sure where this coming from. Did even get a chance to go back and give them what they wanted. Fired the next day.

Sounds like the lead guitarist is a tosser. I'm surprised he still has his own teeth. Don't get upset. Find something where what you do is respected and valued.

• Like 3

Sounds to me primarily like the lead guitarist wants bass in the style of Cliff Williams or Adam Clayton, and any runs or lines are just going to upset him, and the others are going with his views.

8 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Sounds to me primarily like the lead guitarist wants bass in the style of Cliff Williams or Adam Clayton, and any runs or lines are just going to upset him, and the others are going with his views.

That’s not a band, that’s a dictatorship 

• Like 1

Some bands want full members and others just want staff to do what they are told and to keep their mouth shut. 

Sounds like you are in the second type. 
If I were you, try to find a local jam night (if you have any out your way, you could always set one up if you don’t) and try to play with as many different people as possible. 
Ultimately it comes down to this:

1. Are you a good enough musician (not great but good enough)

2. Does your image match the band?

3. Are you easy to get along with? (Most important)

I really pushed my self a few years back to work on all three of these areas and am now the paid house bass player at a few jams, play in several different bands too. It’s good because I don’t get the time now to over think and be mildly obsessive about being in just one band.

Good luck for the future!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geek99 said:

No, that's a band. 

There is no "one true way" to run a band. Some are collaborative, some are dictatorships. Like relationships, they're all different and the trick is to find the one for you. 

I can't help but feel that if we all approached bands with more of that attitude, we'd have a lot less angst about being in bands in general. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bobby Aaron said:

Thanks Odysseus

Gotta keep truckin lol. Hard to find guys that don't want to do stricly covers when your in FREDERICKSBURG, VA

So much easier when I was in Chicago.

You are Pete Cetera and I claim my 5 pounds! 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Not sure someone from the US will get the full glory of the word “tosser” @Wolverinebass  but it is a term of abuse here @Bobby Aaron

5 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

5 hours ago, Geek99 said:

4 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

Some bands want full members and others just want staff to do what they are told and to keep their mouth shut. 

Sounds like you are in the second type. 
If I were you, try to find a local jam night (if you have any out your way, you could always set one up if you don’t) and try to play with as many different people as possible. 
Ultimately it comes down to this:

1. Are you a good enough musician (not great but good enough)

2. Does your image match the band?

3. Are you easy to get along with? (Most important)

I really pushed my self a few years back to work on all three of these areas and am now the paid house bass player at a few jams, play in several different bands too. It’s good because I don’t get the time now to over think and be mildly obsessive about being in just one band.

Good luck for the future!

I love all of this feedback guys. Each and every one of you pointed out some great things.

The guitarist still has his teeth because he's 23 and I was probably his first act as a "tosser". I had to look the term up. I'm 38, jammed a lot with cats, gigged with a alternative band for 8 years and a couple of projects just for fun. My image most likely wasn't the problem. I'm a stylish dresser but I don't take it overboard, t-shirt and jeans mainly, especially during the week. 

Mostly I think it is the tension between me and the LG and the fact that I wouldn't give them 100% cookie cutter and I was respectfully assertive about it. Bringing up Adam Clayton is interesting because I love U2. If they would have written "With or Without You" and said write something. I would have had no choice but to play D, A, B, G. My point, I play what I hear, and gave them plenty of opportunities to reject my style and approach. I always approach a style by finding g the closest known musician to easily describe my plan. In this case it was Robert DeLeo (STP) and Nate Mendel (Foo Fighters, Sunny Day Real Estate), mixed with some James Jamerson. 

All that aside I thought I was an equal part, and some changes we're made based on some of my insight leading me to believe I had a voice, I was able to be creative, as well as giving them what they wanted. 

Communication is a lost art. I don't read minds and if I try to speculate on body language I might as well not get out of bed in the morning.

Try not to let yourself get too down and depressed about the situation. Don’t take it personally. Hard not too but please don’t. Guitarists generally tend to be the control freaks within the band and see any dissension as an act of rebellion/threat to their leadership/authority. Some do it aggressively and others passive aggressively. 
Do yourself a favour and try to find some grown ups (attitude) to play with. You’ll be much happier in the long run.