Why become a member? ×

Class D - diabolical

rhysyjob

I went to a party once where Mylene Klass (spelling?) was there. 

Right. 

1x Sansamp RBI or similar popular, bass specific rack preamp 

1x line level a/b switcher 

2x pa power amps, 1 class ab and 1 class d

2x identical (at least identical models) cabinets

Gain match both sides with an rta, put the whole thing (besides the cabs) behind a curtain, walk away, let some fresh people run a double blind test. 

I suppose even that wouldn't get to the bottom of this though would it? The amps are going to have different filters, the cabs will have had different lives, etc. Close though. 

37 minutes ago, Jack said:

Gain match both sides with an rta, put the whole thing (besides the cabs) behind a curtain, walk away, let some fresh people run a double blind test. 

I suppose even that wouldn't get to the bottom of this though would it? The amps are going to have different filters, the cabs will have had different lives, etc. Close though. 

This would get you a lot closer to determining the closeness of the two amps, but you would want to repeat the tests swapping the speakers so that if the preference changed it would indicate that the speaker was the most significant variable. 

Speaker variables can vary by as much as 20% in a production run. This CAN be significant.

Edited by agedhorse
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack said:

I went to a party once where Mylene Klass (spelling?) was there. 

Right. 

I don't think she would need that for a piano?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, agedhorse said:

It might be a coincidence, but it's also just as likely (maybe more likely) that you prefer the voicings that were more common in the older designs. Preamp (and speaker) voicings have evolved a lot in the 40 years that I have been designing products and this has been driven primarily by changing player preferences along with changes in music styles. One of the best examples of this that I can think of (off the top of my head) is the Darkglass models, they are what the industry refers to as "Euro-modern hard rock/metal" and is quite different from products we used to offer in our lines (Carbines and Strategy/Prodigy) which were American hard rock/metal oriented.

Interesting - I wouldn't have had the Streamliner, TC RH450 or Demeter down as "Euro-modern hard rock/metal" flavour.

6 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Interesting - I wouldn't have had the Streamliner, TC RH450 or Demeter down as "Euro-modern hard rock/metal" flavour.

Correct, they are not, and that’s what I thought I posted. 

All I can say is that I am 10 days into a tour and the TT-800s are performing and sounding wonderful. I don't perceive any difference in sound between any of the Mesa rigs I've had (whether full valve or hybrid). 

As ever, it's horses for courses.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

All I can say is that I am 10 days into a tour and the TT-800s are performing and sounding wonderful. I don't perceive any difference in sound between any of the Mesa rigs I've had (whether full valve or hybrid). 

As ever, it's horses for courses.

The bass sounded superb at the Swindon gig last week. Clear, clean, and punchy. 

• Like 3

I've heard great sounding players, terrible ones and everything inbetween regardless of amp choices. Last wedding band I saw (they had just a pair of small Turbosound tops, no sub) the bass player was using a bog standard passive Jazz through a MarkBass AC combo plonked on the floor and he filled the room with it, sounded huge with loads of body and definition.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I've heard great sounding players, terrible ones and everything inbetween regardless of amp choices. Last wedding band I saw (they had just a pair of small Turbosound tops, no sub) the bass player was using a bog standard passive Jazz through a MarkBass AC combo plonked on the floor and he filled the room with it, sounded huge with loads of body and definition.

I have witnessed this on a few occasions, most recently a young lady playing a Fender Precision Lyte and Mark bass combo. Tasty player and superb tone. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Agree, for some reason Fender & Markbass seem to work well together and produce a very reassuring bass sound.

That was my experience. My Fender Jazz just worked so well with Markbass amplification, particularly when favouring the bridge pick up, with the tone rolled off a tad. However the scooped voicing of my Sadowsky sounded thin and lacked any balls.

The synergy between bass guitar and amplification is an important element that can get overlooked. 

Edited by leroydiamond
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, leroydiamond said:

That was my experience. My Fender Jazz just worked so well with Markbass amplification, particularly when favouring the bridge pick up, with the tone rolled off a tad. However the scooped voicing of my Sadowsky sounded thin and lacked any balls.

The synergy between bass guitar and amplification is an important element that can get overlooked. 

I find that my Markbass amps work equally well with my Fenders (both passive and active), Rickenbacker, Hofner, Gibson, Spector, Musicman, Ibanez, Kala, Tanglewood and Tom Clement basses. 

I own the following bass amps:

• Ampeg PF50T
  • Ampeg SVT-3Pro
  • TC BH250
  • TC Bam
  • Joyo Badass
  • Hotone Thunder Bass
  • Bugera BV1001T

They all do a job that works for me in various scenarios. However, having previously owned an Ampeg SVT Classic, this would be my first choice of amp if I could carry it! Love all valve power and tone and that would always be my preference but the PF50T and 3Pro are both good compromises. But, the Bugera of which, I stressed about buying - just because (you know what I mean!) - has turned out to be the wild card from bass player's Valhalla! I adore it! It is light, powerful, lots of tone options, has a three valve pre amp section that mirrors the Ampeg SVT 3Pro (for me) and just sounds fantastic for an amp I paid £229 for! It has impressed me so much that it is my go to amp for both rehearsals and gigs. 

Edited by andy67
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

I find that my Markbass amps work equally well with my Fenders (both passive and active), Rickenbacker, Hofner, Gibson, Spector, Musicman, Ibanez, Kala, Tanglewood and Tom Clement basses. 

Together with my Sadowsky, my  Jaydee and Yamaha fretless never got me excited when plugged into Markbass amplification, but the Fender jazz did it every time. I have been through several micro heads and the the now discontinued Kustom KXB500 is my pick of the bunch. Outstanding.

Edited by leroydiamond

1 hour ago, leroydiamond said:

Together with my Sadowsky, my  Jaydee and Yamaha fretless never got me excited when plugged into Markbass amplification, but the Fender jazz did it every time. I have been through several micro heads and the the now discontinued Kustom KXB500 is my pick of the bunch. Outstanding.

That's interesting. Which amps suited those basses better for you?

On 02/05/2022 at 17:13, Phil Starr said:

I've had the same experience with MB and there are many more than two of us .

Yeah it's funny that... my LMII was mangled by a dodgy power supply in Ripon and has never been the same, but everyone's amp was plugged into the same power supply and somehow it was only mine that died...

I had no idea power issues were so widespread among LMs, has anyone looked into why it seems to keep happening?

39 minutes ago, Spaced said:

Yeah it's funny that... my LMII was mangled by a dodgy power supply in Ripon and has never been the same, but everyone's amp was plugged into the same power supply and somehow it was only mine that died...

I had no idea power issues were so widespread among LMs, has anyone looked into why it seems to keep happening?

The LM2 was last made in 2008. The LM2 and LM3 have been amongst the biggest selling heads for many years now, so the fact that we are seeing failures shouldn't be a surprise and doesn't indicate a latent fault. There will be many thousands of LM2 and LM3 out there and all will give up the ghost eventually.

• Like 2