Why become a member? ×

Scammer, not very clever

uk_lefty

Within seconds of listing a guitar for sale on Facebook I attracted a lot of scammers. I got a handful of "hey! Is your product like this?" Then a load of suspicious links. I reported them and Facebook very quickly told me they did not have enough evidence to see there was a scam in play. Then came Karim. I understand Karim to be a male name. I looked up Karim's profile and he/ she has changed gender and ethnicity a number of times according to the profile photos. He or he also isn't very sophisticated in trying to scam people...

Screenshot_2022-04-29-15-27-01-86_be80aec1db9a2b53c9d399db0c602181.jpg

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

while not saying  it isn't a scam, if you get the money in cash, where's the scam?

they get you involved, giving phone number etc then say they wont do cash but can send you a paypall payment right now ! ! the rest goes without saying.

though i dont know what goes on when they send you three links saying "is it the same as these" ,?

or "my mum wants it can you email her the details"

i think they just want to get you on to a more scamable platform/position

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, funkgod said:

though i dont know what goes on when they send you three links saying "is it the same as these" ,?

or "my mum wants it can you email her the details"

i think they just want to get you on to a more scamable platform/position

With the dodgy links it could be a few things, spyware on your device or something else. The whole "my dad wants it but can't come to collect..." type of thing is to draw you into their story of why they can't actually collect, but keep you keen on the idea of a sale, then why they can't pay, etc etc and draw you into parting with either the guitar or your bank details.

• Like 1

I recently put a dining table and chairs on FB Marketplace. I have had 2 people offering me couriers with cash. It is a £75 set up. I cannot imagine what they think they are going to get in the deal if it is a scam. One wanted them sent 4.5 hours away on a courier. I cannot understand why they are putting the time in on such a deeply unexciting sale.

4 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Which ethnic group would that be?

Every scammer  I’ve had calls from has been Indian. Not the red kind. 
Not sure if this is a loaded question, but facts are facts ( to the best of my knowledge, based on accent and and name). 

Edited by dave_bass5