Why become a member? ×

Rush - Moving Pictures at 40.

NancyJohnson

I listened to this (off Spotify) yesterday and it's on now.  

Of the studio content, I'll be honest and say that I'm very familiar with the first four tracks and the final one (Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Limelight and Vital Signs), less so The Camera Eye or Witch Hunt, which I always skipped over.  Have to say I haven't listened to this album in over 20 years and the five tracks I mentioned still sound great, my opinion of the other two hasn't changed.  With The Camera Eye I always felt a bit short-changed that they'd lifted whole sequences from Permanent Waves' 'Freewill'.

Moving along, as this is an expanded release, the live in Toronto 1981 content (Camera Eye aside!) is blindingly good.  I'd forgotten how decent they were live in the early 80s.  The live production is pretty lively, way better than Exit...Stage Left; interestingly, sides 2-4 of E...SL was recorded in Montreal on 27/3/81, just two days after the new content on the Moving Pictures live content was recorded.

• Like 2

Even the band described ESL as "live - ish"!

I'm interested in hearing the live set in this release, but tbh I've heard Moving Pictures so many times since 1981 that I genuinely don't think I'll ever feel the need to listen to it again!

5 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Explain yourself, Jonhson!

Quite! Camera Eye is probably my favourite MP track, and Free Will might be my favourite Rush song (if there can ever be such a thing!) and I've never noticed a similarity!

Edited by Bassassin

2 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Even the band described ESL as "live - ish"!

I'm interested in hearing the live set in this release, but tbh I've heard Moving Pictures so many times since 1981 that I genuinely don't think I'll ever feel the need to listen to it again!

The live set is brilliant. It smokes ESL...

Mrs.H ordered this for me for my birthday many months ago and it's just arrived. It's by far the largest set out of all the Super Deluxe Editions so far.

Agreed with all the comments about regarding the live set. A worthy edition to any fan's collection.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with the drum sticks though 😂.

IMG_1709.png.7588b7ead5d08c78a126de69329b2826.png

IMG_1710.png.bba8e8bb9f624131f2a84b382da7c88c.png

9 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Haha.

In The Camera Eye, don't you hear the similarity in the repeated sequence from about 2"40' to Freewill?  As soon as I heard it all those years ago it was, 'Oh, that sounds familiar.'

Listening now, I can kinda hear what you're getting it, but only if I think about it....

21 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Caress of Steel too?  Are you bonkers?  

The Necromancer is one of my favourite tracks. It's just, everything. Shush.

I learned to play the long players like Fountain of Lamneth, 2112 and Xanadu when I first got a bass. Once I got to Hemispheres part 2 I realised my limitations :)

I guess there's not much variation in Live stuff from back then - CoT was written on the road while touring Fly by Night, and 2112 was very soon afterwards.

It's nice to listen to Geddy's voice from this era too - while the recent live albums are amazing playing, he's obviously struggling to reach those 70s notes with his voice.

Rush are a weird one for me, I started with All The World's A Stage and went backwards from there, so broadly there was about a year between this and A Farewell To Kings, at which point I was probably more into punk than anything else, although it had to be said that my formulative bass-learning years were in my bedroom playing along with the ATWAS.

With every album from Moving Pictures, I lost a little more interest; as I mentioned earlier, I like maybe 60% of Moving Pictures and by the time we hit Signals there were just a couple of tracks (Subdivisions/Countdown), Grace Under Pressure (nothing really of note), Power Windows was just The Big Money and Hold Your Fire was Time Stand Still.  I've not listened to a Rush studio album beyond that.  All said and done, I do enjoy the live stuff and find all three bandmembers quite engaging/entertaining.  The recent documentary was wonderful viewing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Mrs.H ordered this for me for my birthday many months ago and it's just arrived. It's by far the largest set out of all the Super Deluxe Editions so far.

Agreed with all the comments about regarding the live set. A worthy edition to any fan's collection.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with the drum sticks though 😂.

IMG_1709.png.7588b7ead5d08c78a126de69329b2826.png

IMG_1710.png.bba8e8bb9f624131f2a84b382da7c88c.png

You need to rip the 5.1, I still need to do that Ronson one for you.

• Like 1

Haven't listened to that yet, but if it is a remaster i might put it off, I don't have a great history of finding remasters better than the original (and some, a complete travesty).

I like camera eye and witch hunt, there isn't a bad track on moving pictures. 

Just now, Woodinblack said:

Haven't listened to that yet, but if it is a remaster i might put it off, I don't have a great history of finding remasters better than the original (and some, a complete travesty).

I like camera eye and witch hunt, there isn't a bad track on moving pictures. 

It was hearing Red Barchetta from the new release on the radio that had me rushing (pun intended) to press the add to basket button. The separation is lovely.

• Like 1