Why become a member? ×

How much??

lownote

On 29/04/2022 at 14:24, miles'tone said:

I just ordered some yesterday and on the scroll down menu they are actually £60... Well,  I originally ordered them 15 days ago and when I chased them up yesterday due to not having received them, I discovered that they'd posted them to someone I've never heard of in North Wales! (I live in South Wales).

"They were sent to your old address"

"I've lived here for 20 years."

"Oh...."

Bass direct... slack as fück. They don't even send a shipping notification so you know that your purchase 'might' be on it's way.

"Can I make a suggestion? Would you mind sending out a shipping notification etc..."

"I'm not sure how the logistics with that would work out"

"Everyone else who sells things on the Internet seem to manage alright."

"Oh... fair point"

🙄

Quick update..

I phoned Bass Direct just now to chase up the replacement strings that they were going to send a week ago because of the above issue, as I still haven't received them.

They only just posted them out today so they say (or did they forget? 🤔).

60 quids worth! Never buying from them again anyway. 

Edited by miles'tone

This thread has reminded me that my cello teacher was talking about some strings recently as an alternative to what I'm currently using... just on £300 for a set... although tbf that's about the same price as what I'm currently using.... 

This thread has reminded me that my cello teacher was talking about some strings recently as an alternative to what I'm currently using... just on £300 for a set... although tbf that's about the same price as what I'm currently using.... 

Just now, zbd1960 said:

Looks like this thread has reminded you of your cello teacher A LOT 😉 

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/04/2022 at 10:59, lownote said:

Just went to String Direct to price new Dunlop flats to replace the Chromes on my JB40FL. £68!!! Squawk!

Mrs Lownote and I rarely spend money so much of this talk of inflation has passed us by.  But it's a diferrent matter if it's going to affect bass essentials. 

I know what you mean. The price of bass strings is getting mental. I might have to start boiling my strings instead! lol 😆

8 hours ago, Greg.Bassman said:

James Jameson would be proud! 😆

You'd think a man of his means could afford a set of fresh strings for every session and gig. If he hadn't been so tight with the purse maybe he'd have got more work, maybe he could have even got the job in Metallica. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Greg.Bassman said:

Metallica! lol. I would actually be curious to see that. Out the way trujillo, here comes ‘the hook’! 😆 

Metallica have always had bassists who were far more talented than the rest of the band and who could play the music in their sleep.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Metallica have always had bassists who were far more talented than the rest of the band and who could play the music in their sleep.

Agreed. Cliff, Jason and Robert are all exceptional players. I have always enjoyed Roberts ‘Infectious grooves’ period too. Some great funk coming from him during this time 😁

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Maude said:

Put whoever you like on bass in Metallica, no one will be able to hear it. :ph34r:

Sad but true [like what I did there!] 😉. Especially on the ‘...And Justice for All’ album. We all know how obscured the bass was on that album 🙁.

On 30/04/2022 at 10:51, MacDaddy said:

I'd like to support my local music shop (if I had one) or independent retailer, but Amazon prices (from Amazon, not a third-party retailer) for my strings are so much cheaper, and free delivery.

That's why those little local shops that everyone speaks so wistfully about are closing (if they haven't already) and Bezos is en route to world domination. Look, I get it. If you have a young family and money is tight (or if you change strings after every gig), then every penny counts, but how many of us really can't afford an additional fiver or so for a set of bass strings that we don't buy that  often?

Depends on how often we change them I suppose. In my last band I needed that new string twang, so a new set of Rotosounds every month. A set in my local shop was £23 so £276 a year. Online they were £16 so £192 a year - a saving of £84 or another 5 months of strings.

By all accounts it's even worse if you buy left handed sets of strings. 

A mate of mine says it's cheaper for him to buy a right handed set and have his tech install them upside down for him than it is to buy a left handed set.

I suggested he should play in front of a mirror but he said I was being silly. 

• Haha 2