Why become a member? ×

How much??

lownote

Just went to String Direct to price new Dunlop flats to replace the Chromes on my JB40FL. £68!!! Squawk!

Mrs Lownote and I rarely spend money so much of this talk of inflation has passed us by.  But it's a diferrent matter if it's going to affect bass essentials. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ambient said:

Maybe Strings direct price represents an increased price from the distributor, if theirs is newer stock?

Who knows? But these two prices have been steady for a while.

GHS Bass Boomers 45-105

Strings Direct £40

Bass Direct £22

I shop with both of them (and, on foot, Banks, gear4music and the new place over the river)

2 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Sometimes Strings Direct are the cheapest, sometimes definitely not. Bass Direct have a 4 string set of Dunlop flats for £50

I just ordered some yesterday and on the scroll down menu they are actually £60... Well,  I originally ordered them 15 days ago and when I chased them up yesterday due to not having received them, I discovered that they'd posted them to someone I've never heard of in North Wales! (I live in South Wales).

"They were sent to your old address"

"I've lived here for 20 years."

"Oh...."

Bass direct... slack as fück. They don't even send a shipping notification so you know that your purchase 'might' be on it's way.

"Can I make a suggestion? Would you mind sending out a shipping notification etc..."

"I'm not sure how the logistics with that would work out"

"Everyone else who sells things on the Internet seem to manage alright."

"Oh... fair point"

🙄

Edited by miles'tone

I can't get on their website because my computer policiman keeps warning me that their website has a Trojan. When I report this they say my computer's wrong and their webbo is fine.  I'm not about to take the chance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miles'tone said:

I just ordered some yesterday and on the scroll down menu they are actually £60... Well,  I originally ordered them 15 days ago and when I chased them up yesterday due to not having received them, I discovered that they'd posted them to someone I've never heard of in North Wales! (I live in South Wales).

"They were sent to your old address"

"I've lived here for 20 years."

"Oh...."

Bass direct... slack as fück. They don't even send a shipping notification so you know that your purchase 'might' be on it's way.

"Can I make a suggestion? Would you mind sending out a shipping notification etc..."

"I'm not sure how the logistics with that would work out"

"Everyone else who sells things on the Internet seem to manage alright."

"Oh... fair point"

🙄

I forgot to mention that I ordered a gig bag from them about a week after the strings which did arrive ok. 

Initially I was told that I hadn't received the strings because they weren't in stock. I mentioned that they are listed as in stock on the website. 

"Are they? Let me check.....you're right, they have come in. Have you checked inside the gigbag? Sometimes we put them in there."

Checked inside said gigbag, not in there.

"Ah, they were sent to your old address yada yada.."

"But you sent my gigbag to my actual address ok."

"That's because it was sent by courier."

🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, lownote said:

I can't get on their website because my computer policiman keeps warning me that their website has a Trojan. When I report this they say my computer's wrong and their webbo is fine.  I'm not about to take the chance. 

Same here... MS Edge can't connect to their website as it gives ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR - there appears a problem with negotiating an  https connection.

It does work with Firefox browser.

Edited by Bigguy2017

11 hours ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Same here... MS Edge can't connect to their website as it gives ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR - there appears a problem with negotiating an  https connection.

It does work with Firefox browser.

My problem IS on Firefox.  It's either Bitmaster or Malwarebytes that is kicking up I think.  But what's the point of paying for those guys if you then ignore their warning?  Or maybe the interweb too has a problem  with Bass Direct lol. 

1 hour ago, Machines said:

I've unfortunately abandoned private strings companies - Amazon has some great prices on Ernie Balls. 

StringsDirect  £24.99 +£2.99 shipping or Amazon £16.99 delivered ? Such a tough choice.

Just checked your Amazon  link and the EB’s are now down to £16.20. (Free delivery if you spend over £20).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

I'd like to support my local music shop (if I had one) l

So would I but they're doing a fine job of making themselves look like idiots all by themselves. It would just be rude of me to intervene. 

It must nearly be time to watch their promo vid again, I need cheering up. 😄

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Joe Nation said:

Someone needs to open a shop called Bass Strings Direct to stop all this confusion.

When I left the guitar shop trade a mate and I looked at it.

based solely on Regular Slinky Guitar strings - without huge financial input, we couldn’t buy them in sufficient quantities to be competitive.

Think we’d be buying at £3.27 and some pages we’re selling at £5.

”the quickest way to make a small fortune in music retail is to start out with a large fortune”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MacDaddy said:

I'd like to support my local music shop (if I had one) or independent retailer, but Amazon prices (from Amazon, not a third-party retailer) for my strings are so much cheaper, and free delivery.

I’m like you about supporting local independents. However, when the price difference is more than a couple of quid and with us all being squeezed for everything else right now then it really leaves no option for me.

I hate Amazon and have resisted buying from it whenever I can, but must admit that it’s an inevitability for

me just lately, especially with free delivery ( my daughter has Amazon Prime).

I admit to having used USA company Strings and Beyond, who are great if you’re buying a lot of sets - even with shipping they’ve always worked out cheapest for me. Great customer service too.

7 hours ago, Machines said:

I've just ordered some D'Addarios for my Spector from Amazon for £27, they will arrive tonight ! 

Strings Direct ? £40 and would be Tuesday at best.

And this is why Amazon will take over most things. 

image.png.19f367eb9106c4515c19180c1065cd05.png