Why become a member? ×

When is it time to stop buying more basses?

molan

Of course, the simple answer is ‘never’  but this thought genuinely occurred to me this afternoon. 

I walked into my study and looked at the main wall of hanging basses:

Ritter

Stenback

Sadowsky NYC

Sei

Fodera

Alleva Coppolo

63 & 66 Jazz

21 black paisley Jazz

In other parts of the house there’s:

64, 78, 87, 93 Precision

82 JV Precision medium scale

70, 86, 07 Jazz

Rickenbacker 4001

2 more Sei

McIntyre based Precision

Warwick Star

Fender Starcaster

Ibanez 824

Various other Japanese Squiers, Aria, Fernandes etc

Oh, and a token Fender Strat and a Novation Bass Station

Surely now is the time to stop 🤪

Edited by molan
Mistake
  • Like 3

I should add some ‘previously owned’ I guess:

MTD - 2

F Bass

Alembic - 5

Musicman - 2

Shuker

Alpher

Modulus - 2

Wood & Tronics

Status - 5

Performance 

Probably others too!

I don’t like Wals at all. I’d take an Alembic ahead of a Wal any day. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Technically You can not stop doing that, but mentally - You have to feel the moment when You have got that whole life sound, which You have been looking Your hole life - in Your fingers, brain and heart.

I think if the time came when I had to keep just one, then my white Ritter Cora would probably ‘win’. 

I realise that Ritters aren’t for a lot of people but it is often the one I reach for first when I need to learn something new. 

That’s a phenomenal collection, I didn’t think any mortals actually owned Stenbacks!

I don’t really like having ‘stuff’ anymore, and that has slowly extended to music equipment. I used to want to collect basses but now I get a weird anxiety if I have too many instruments around at any one time. It’s like I feel they deserve a better home because I am neglecting them. I have pretty much just had one main bass for 10 years and a much cheaper back up for gigs.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

@stewblackive never owned anything of theirs but I probably should do so one day 

It's purely my personal opinion. I don't want to influence anyone else. Some models are just good considering the price, some are amazing for the price and some are literally amazing at any price.

• Like 2

I think we must have been separated at birth @molan. I don't see myself as a collector, but have definitely accumulated.

Some while ago, probably years now, I set a cap on how many basses I'm allowed to have at any one time. That has definitely helped.

It forced me to put serious thought into what I want out of a bass in order to keep it and I've stuck to it.

I know I physically cannot resist the urge to look at what's available and there's in harm in window shopping right?

I'm currently two under my cap, but I've just put my name against one which probably won't be a bass until late 2023, so I'm all good for now.

It's great that you play all of yours.

There's a couple I have that are not operational.

One I could get sorted quite easily, but one continues to be a source of frustration as I wouldn't know where to start to get it playable (electronic issues).

I think in our cases, the time to stop buying is the time when you stop playing.

Hope you're well.

• Like 1

I’m just going through a bit of a turn re basses. I’ve decided that as the 2013-16 US Standard Precisions are my fave I’m buying up a good few, and then will decide which I want to go with, maple or rosewood. I’ll then sell the others. My heart says maple, my head says rosewood but neither will make the decision, that’s going to my ears, and only when with the band, cos that’s the most important part.

When I was a fresh young bass player long ago, all I wanted was a Precision. I have had quite a few basses since then, including an Alembic & a 2 grand Sandberg. Now I have a couple of Precisions and a couple of Jazzes, but the Precisions get played more. If I'd trusted in my teenage opinion, I could have saved a lot of money - but missed out on a lot of enjoyable experiences. Have also learnt (very expensively) that I never keep a maple fingerboard bass for long. 

So my ideal bass is a rosewood fingerboard Precision. That's one out of four of my current basses.

• Like 2

If you buy basses that never see the light of day but you buy them as an investment i.e. you'd make a profit if you ever sold them, I don't see a problem with that.

If it's a hobby, you can afford it and they bring you joy, then I don't see a problem with that.

If its a compulsion, you lose money every time you buy a bass and the ownership of them brings you no joy, then it's time to stop.

• Like 10

I've discovered over the ears that I only really want a p bass.

As you know, I was 'Sting' in a couple of Police tributes and owned nearly all the basses he used during the Police years. White spector, Ibanez MC940, Steinberger, 2 fretless P basses and a 56 replica. I don't do the Sting thing anymore and nne of these basses get played now.

When in my last rock band gig I started on my old P bass, went to a Musicman Stingray then a Flea Jazz bass. Ended up back on the P bass.

Now in my blues rock band (does 2/3 gigs a year) it's a mustang JMJ. The short scale helping my aching everything.

I honestly think that I'm done with buying now unless a nice jazz/p bass comes along that would appreciate in value, it would have to be cheap though. I'm certainly not looking but I keep my eye on the classifieds here on BC.

10 hours ago, molan said:

Of course, the simple answer is ‘never’  but this thought genuinely occurred to me this afternoon. 

I walked into my study and looked at the main wall of hanging basses:

Ritter

Stenback

Sadowsky NYC

Sei

Fodera

Alleva Coppolo

63 & 66 Jazz

21 black paisley Jazz

In other parts of the house there’s:

64, 78, 87, 93 Precision

82 JV Precision medium scale

70, 86, 07 Jazz

Rickenbacker 4001

2 more Sei

McIntyre based Precision

Warwick Star

Fender Starcaster

Ibanez 824

Various other Japanese Squiers, Aria, Fernandes etc

Oh, and a token Fender Strat and a Novation Bass Station

Surely now is the time to stop 🤪

What Sadowsky NYC do you have Barrie? Has the funky Lakky gone now?

10 hours ago, stewblack said:

It's purely my personal opinion. I don't want to influence anyone else. Some models are just good considering the price, some are amazing for the price and some are literally amazing at any price.

what's the best HB IYHO?