Why become a member? ×

Strat bass... nice try but no E-cigar

Rich

I really fancy either getting or building a short scale Strat-based bass, and spotted this... but is it just my eyes, or is this particular one a bit Roy Rogers? That E string is hanging off the side of the neck and I'm pretty sure the bridge needs to be a lot further back than it is.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115355170140?hash=item1adbb4355c:g:2O8AAOSw64FiYr~u

image.png.eba62e53d158ea4ace21794e325e46a9.png

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Joe Nation said:

The parallax distortion of the photos will make the body half look smaller than the neck half, because of where the camera was positioned. But unless the neck is specifically designed for that conversion, it may well be out of whack.

No paralax distortion does that.

But if for instance, you were to take a 20 fret jazz bass neck and put it on a 21 fret strat guitar body, you would end up with a 30.8" scale instrument, where the 12th fret should be located at (obviously) 15.4". However, as the neck was designed for a 34" instrument, its 12th fret is 17" away from the nut. 15.4" would be almost half way between the 10th (14.9") and 11th fret (15.99") on a that 34" instrument neck.

That is what I am seeing here.